• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

That blank stare ....

drickanderson

Double Eagle Member
You know the one. I got it from the whole group tonight as we were flinging these cheap promo discs out in front of my house. We had a whole group hanging out in the driveway, and somebody asked me how I was getting these flimsy things to fly so straight. I said "They're super understable, so if you put tons of hyzer on them, they flatten right out."

It got quiet, and after I threw the disc, I noticed that everybody was just kinda staring at me like i was speaking Chinese. I just said, "What? You asked!"

sounds reasonable to me... your answer that is..

I have to catch myself using jargon when I tell "normal" people about disc golf. It can be funny to see the blank stares though. :D

i've gotten the stares for saying much less

It's not like the word stable/stability or hyzer were created for dg, if people weren't so dumb they could figure what you were saying- or at least have an idea.
A guy at work has never played but was asking about hyzer flips- he said is as" if you throw one of your frisbee things on a hyzer will they flip up?"

I get that look from the wife when my son and I are talking about our round after returning home. My wife just has this total WTF look on her face, it is really priceless.

How about the other direction:

I was talking to my Dad about flying discs physics when he stunned me by relating it to helicopter flying. He was a helicopter pilot in the Vietnam war (which unsurprisingly he hasn't talked much about except a few passing remarks). He started saying things like rotational stability, the helicopter wanting to turn opposite the spin of the rotors, and other stuff. I just about fell out of my seat and was amazed at how similar it was to the flight of a disc.

I've spent a couple weeks in Cheyenne with my best friend who I introduced to DG a couple of months ago in Texas.

We were playing Mylar Park in Cheyenne when we joined up with a couple of locals (2 discs each, no bag) who said they'd been playing for a couple of years.

I threw a flex hyzer shot and came very close to an ace. One of the locals asked me how I did that. I explained and got the stare.

My friend told me later that when he saw the confused look on the guy's face, my friend told him I really did know what I was talking about.

The guy replied, "I understand that. What I don't understand is what he said."

So much for DG jargon.

Woodpecker

It's not like the word stable/stability or hyzer were created for dg, if people weren't so dumb they could figure what you were saying- or at least have an idea.
A guy at work has never played but was asking about hyzer flips- he said is as" if you throw one of your frisbee things on a hyzer will they flip up?"

Are you kidding me? Look up hyzer or anhyzer in the dictionary. They are not there. They are not really words, just made up slang that sounds stupid as hell. I hate both hyzer and anhyzer. Just makes me feel like a huge tool. Very similar to someone using dungeons and dragons slang.

... just made up slang that sounds stupid as hell. I hate both hyzer and anhyzer. Just makes me feel like a huge tool.

That's just AWESOME! .. sounds like you joined the perfect forum for whatever issue it is that you're trying to deal with there bud. Have fun with that.

How did I manage to attract two 'winners' in one thread? Do I get a prize or sumfin'?!

Its not like that around here. There are a lot of old school folks around here that have been playing for 20 years. I would say our local disc golf crowd is well above average in terms of knowledge and skill. Definitely a great situation as I learn new things every day playing with these folks.

Not interesting, waste of thread.

TimG said:
Forum Guidelines
1) No illegal drug discussion.
2) If a thread doesn't interest you, please move along. There is no need to post in the thread letting us know you think it's stupid.
3) Related to #2, purposely trolling a thread or threads will result in a warning with the next occurrence resulting in a temporary ban. Continuing to troll threads after that will result in a permanent ban.
4) If you post about a highly controversial topic (ie. religion, politics, etc.) keep it clean and respectful.
5) If you have a disagreement with someone, it is not ok to post their address, phone #, etc. in the forum.

In other words, if you can't say anything nice, blah blah blah

Latest posts