• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

I ordered a couple of the signature Comets. They look nice, and now I hope they fly just as nice. Also, I hope you're getting a share of profits.

MJ, have these signature Z Comets molded up just like a typical max weight Z Comet? More overstable?

Got some field practice in with the X Comet and a round in as well. I thought the Comet was awesome in other plastics, but now I see why there is so much rave about the X. It's flight is so super smooth.
Unfortunately, it is so rocky here that I don't know how long is will be before it is chewed into bits. The X is seems to be very fragile. I don't see the Z leaving my bag.

Unfortunately, it is so rocky here that I don't know how long is will be before it is chewed into bits.

i play very rocky courses. bottom line is this: i have been very surprised how long an X-Comet remains in each stage of wear, whether it been a nice fresh max weight or a beat low 160s.

X Comets are amazing (or TP when I can find them). Z Plastic once it does beat in is an amazing thing. It takes forever to beat in (and longer for a slow flying disc like the comet) but its worth it. The problem is when you loose a seasoned one...

I ordered a couple of the signature Comets. They look nice, and now I hope they fly just as nice. Also, I hope you're getting a share of profits.

MJ, have these signature Z Comets molded up just like a typical max weight Z Comet? More overstable?

Yes we are getting a good chunk of the profits from these. Compared to a regular Z, they might be a tick less stable. They are super straight right out of the box and the plastic is much grippier than normal Z

Yes we are getting a good chunk of the profits from these. Compared to a regular Z, they might be a tick less stable. They are super straight right out of the box and the plastic is much grippier than normal Z

I didn't get one of the Z runs, just a couple of your Ti Stamp Comets, but I did get one of Val's Thrashers, and it is a bit gripper, it isn't full on Z FLX plastic, but more toward that than traditional Z.

Seems like recent Z plastic is better on a whole than stuff even from a year ago. Grippy but still tough. Maybe it's all in my head? Maybe discraft love is just growing lol

I haven't noticed anything different. The Tour Series Z's I have feel the same as the Z that's been in the bag for a couple years. Never had a problem gripping it. If I did I'd try to buy up CryZtal, which is usually more grippy. Seems to have some FLX in it.
I prefer rigidity over grip for most discs, though.

Mine seems more overstable than the Z I've been using. But truth be told, I'm starting to think my Z (a fly dye around 175g) flies more like my 177+ X Comet.

The tour series Comet I've been throwing is noticeably less overstable than a max weight Ti (Ledgestone) I have.

I bought two tour series discs, but they're so pretty that I'm only throwing one right now.

I don't like the new 'grippy' Z plastic. Its not firm enough. I am starting to think about moving all my molds to baseline plastics as this seems to be an across the spectrum move for most manufacturers...that or go Vibram. They still have firm discs.

I got myself a Z Comet after all the love it gets on the forum here.

My only problem is the grip, I'm not a fan of beads so it is very different to my other discs.

What advice would you give someone who tries to learn this disc? It seems I get glimpses of the magic when I power it down. I guess this disc simply demands me to clean up my form, especially for the hyzerflips.

Thinking about the 120' upshot banging the basket after curving between trees 5' above the ground still makes me happy and confident this disc is worth mastering.

What advice would you give someone who tries to learn this disc? It seems I get glimpses of the magic when I power it down. I guess this disc simply demands me to clean up my form, especially for the hyzerflips.

You answered you own question, slow the F&%k down.

smooth, controlled, powerful, correct technique with ample snap will unlock the hidden magic. Its worth the wait.

What he said ^^^

A Comet can take a lot of power, but you have to be clean

smooth, controlled, powerful, correct technique with ample snap will unlock the hidden magic. Its worth the wait.

Great!

You answered you own question, slow the F&%k down.

What he said ^^^

A Comet can take a lot of power, but you have to be clean

Right!
Reminds me of the Nova, great potential but as great demands of form and clean release.

Going for practice today and hope to get confident enough to bag the Comet on the weekly local tour this Monday. :)

My only problem is the grip, I'm not a fan of beads so it is very different to my other discs.

What advice would you give someone who tries to learn this disc?

Try a fan grip if you haven't already. I can't power grip beaded mids well.

I don't like the new 'grippy' Z plastic. Its not firm enough. I am starting to think about moving all my molds to baseline plastics as this seems to be an across the spectrum move for most manufacturers...that or go Vibram. They still have firm discs.

Are all of the new Z this way, or just the tour series? I don't find that much of a difference between my Tour Series Thrasher and "normal" Z.

Are all of the new Z this way, or just the tour series? I don't find that much of a difference between my Tour Series Thrasher and "normal" Z.

I am not for sure. My local shop only had one tour series disc, and it was firmer than the others. Perhaps the tour series is a different run of plastic? It was not squishy like some of the others

So, I've never really gotten into Comets, but had a CFR Les White Z Comet from last year and I just pulled it out today to give her a spin... DAYUM! Why the hell have I never bagged this thing??? Now I see the hypetrain is real... So controllable, so much glide, can hit any line you want... just jeez. Give it a little hyzer, rip it, watch it flip flat and gliiiiiiide for a country mile. I had been using M4s for my midrange turnovers and hyzerflips, but I think the Comet may have just stolen that slot... We'll have to run to some of our lovely wooded courses with both and try to back-to-back stacking and see which one comes out on top. However, after not throwing a Comet for about ten years, back when I didn't know how the throw a disc any better than "point that way and huck it as hard as you can," I fell in love instantly. Now that I actually understand how to control power, release angles, nose pitch, ect. the Comet truly is a dream machine. Damn myself for being stubborn and not throwing this for the last ten years...

So, I've never really gotten into Comets, but had a CFR Les White Z Comet from last year and I just pulled it out today to give her a spin... DAYUM! Why the hell have I never bagged this thing??? Now I see the hypetrain is real... So controllable, so much glide, can hit any line you want... just jeez. Give it a little hyzer, rip it, watch it flip flat and gliiiiiiide for a country mile. I had been using M4s for my midrange turnovers and hyzerflips, but I think the Comet may have just stolen that slot... We'll have to run to some of our lovely wooded courses with both and try to back-to-back stacking and see which one comes out on top. However, after not throwing a Comet for about ten years, back when I didn't know how the throw a disc any better than "point that way and huck it as hard as you can," I fell in love instantly. Now that I actually understand how to control power, release angles, nose pitch, ect. the Comet truly is a dream machine. Damn myself for being stubborn and not throwing this for the last ten years...

Welcome back!

Latest posts