• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

A question MJ: Have you ever thrown any of the Ron Russell Signature Comets?

Some Comet love: The Comet is my favorite disc. I love them all and regularly carry an X, ESP, and Z in my bag. When I need really overstable I use the Roc but otherwise those Comets cover everything else.

I would love an MJ sig Comet!

MJ, have you ever been ranked higher than your current 7th place in the World Rankings?

Pretty sure for one of them I was in the top few, but I don't know. I generally don't get put very high in the PDGA rankings cause they weight all the majors and European events heavily and I don't play many of those

MJ, I just watched CCDG's coverage of Ledgestone that they just released this week. You were throwing a LE Ledgestone TI Banger. I was curious how you feel it flies compared to other plastics? I used to use an X Soft Banger GT for understable putter drives and it was a beautiful turnover disc. I'd be interested in a premium plastic BGT.

Your shots seemed straight as an arrow, with a touch more fade. I know it has a ton to do with that uber-smooth form, but would like your thoughts on it's flight compared to X/Pro-D/FLX.

The Ti bangers fly pretty similar to the esp ones I have. They start out quite stable for putters but break in nicely.

A question MJ: Have you ever thrown any of the Ron Russell Signature Comets?

Some Comet love: The Comet is my favorite disc. I love them all and regularly carry an X, ESP, and Z in my bag. When I need really overstable I use the Roc but otherwise those Comets cover everything else.

I would love an MJ sig Comet!

Ya, but have you ever thrown a Ron Russell?

I've been opening eyes by throwing my comets 1200' on hole 18 at solitude mountain resort. Stoked to put the comet in people's hands. Just got two newbs and a vet to bag the comet. I pair the comet with a roc for stable duties but the comet get most of the work done. MJ you are the man! Love your style. Throw and walk away like a Damn Mic drop! Doubt we'll ever see you here in Utah. Although the Utah Open is on the pro tour next year! Jade hooks touring pros up big time!

Congrats on the local win! Timmons park was the first disc golf park I ever played.

He made it look soooo easy. MJ, did you literally throw a Banger on every hole out there?

Also, what made you change from D plastic to a softer plastic for putters?

He made it look soooo easy. MJ, did you literally throw a Banger on every hole out there?

Also, what made you change from D plastic to a softer plastic for putters?

The softer plastic is what I have been wanting to use for quite a while. I prefer using it for my putting style

How are you liking the new Jawbreaker plastic, MJ? Will you be replacing your D-Bangers with Jawbreaker ones?
I'm loving it with Challengers and Zones. Any idea if they're doing Ringers or Putt'rs in the future?

How are you liking the new Jawbreaker plastic, MJ? Will you be replacing your D-Bangers with Jawbreaker ones?
I'm loving it with Challengers and Zones. Any idea if they're doing Ringers or Putt'rs in the future?

Only really messed with the bangers much in jawbreaker plastic. I do like how it feels though

A comet love thread? I must join in!!

My "home course" is a fairly short but very tight course. My comets get thrown for just about every hole there. Hell I find reason to throw a comets on just about any course I play. Such a great disc! The comet is the one disc I make sure to loan to anyone new to the sport too. How Discraft doesn't include into their starter pack is beyond me. But then again I'm not a huge buzz fan. Comet and then if I need something more stable I'll reach for a wasp.

Here's a quick question though. How are the titanium comets compare to the current Z comets and Big Z comets? The Big Z seem a little more stable then the regular Z to me. The Ti any more stable then the big Z?

As a new player with developing form, I have heard I should play 1 disc rounds with my new X-Comet to improve form and control

It should show form/OAT issues ?

Is this theory accurate?

A comet love thread? I must join in!!

My "home course" is a fairly short but very tight course. My comets get thrown for just about every hole there. Hell I find reason to throw a comets on just about any course I play. Such a great disc! The comet is the one disc I make sure to loan to anyone new to the sport too. How Discraft doesn't include into their starter pack is beyond me. But then again I'm not a huge buzz fan. Comet and then if I need something more stable I'll reach for a wasp.

Here's a quick question though. How are the titanium comets compare to the current Z comets and Big Z comets? The Big Z seem a little more stable then the regular Z to me. The Ti any more stable then the big Z?

I can't answer your question but I'm curious. How many Comets do you have and what plastic/weights are they?

As a new player with developing form, I have heard I should play 1 disc rounds with my new X-Comet to improve form and control

Is this theory accurate?

It's not written in stone, but yes, it's pretty accurate.

I tried it my second year and decided I hated the Comet because I couldn't throw it and traded it off. Two years later I swallowed my pride and tried it again. I now own 8 Comets and it's one of my favorite discs.

Is this theory accurate?

Even if you ultimately decided not to bag a Comet, it would still be a good idea to throw an X Comet on periodic field practice days just as a gauge. If your form is not smooth or has any OAT, your Comet will tell you.

For a while I bagged an X and a Z but found that I really only needed the X Comet (X Buzzz, Z Buzzz and Wasp are what I bag going up the stability scale from my X Comet).

I can't answer your question but I'm curious. How many Comets do you have and what plastic/weights are they?

A lot less then I used to! Right now I have three in the bag. A LE ESP thats around 175g (I think, honestly can't remember), a Z thats 170g and a Big Z that is 175g. The ESP should really come out of the bag as I don't really use it. Not in the bag I have 1 more LE ESP (aka the loaner), 1 old style Z with the old X comet stamp (I don't use this one), and technically one Old X that is in the girlfriends bag (so I'm NOT allowed to use it). No clue on the weight of any of those.

A few years back I basically stopped playing DG so I sold off my giant stack of LE ESP Comets (around 15 of them if I remember correctly). I wasn't playing enough any more to need a stack that big, plus the current Z Comets had just come out and I actually like them better then the ESP's anyways. I just got back into DG this year and grabbed the Big Z right after starting up again. I also just bought 2 max weight Ti comets to try out. Just waiting on delivery of them, but was hoping to hear what to expect from them before I get them.

Last edited:

Latest posts