• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Elusive Ace

I been playin for one year now an it is true it just happens an it usally happens on a hole you wouldn't ace run. I got mine on a 200ft tight anhyzer throw I would never thought to ace this hole.

Just go for the ace on short holes. Aces are exciting, and training yourself to not fear the come back putt is good mental practice :D
I think I will heed this advice! Just gotta work on my putting game first..
Oh and btw, went to renny and did not see any of your discs in the pit ;c I was down there looking for mine :gross:

All in all, I have had four aces in my little over a year tenure. The longest one? 138 foot. Second longest? 125 ft. Both on my first shot; both on easy courses. My other two were basically long putts; don't even know if they can be considered aces at < 90 ft.
:doh:

What I've noticed is that its usually on a hole that you're not running for that it happens. I've also noticed that its kind of like a landslide once you get that first one. I've had 9 in the last two years and they pretty much came in twos.

The guy that taught me had been playing four years before he hit one and now he has 6 in a little over a year. I find that the hyzer shot is the best way to run at aces. If you miss with the straight shot you usually end up well past the bucket. The hyzer is easiest to judge distance and it doesn't go as far past the basket unless it skips.

If you really want an ace, run at the basket in your casual rounds. It's a learning curve though. Everyone tries for that first ace and then they realize that laying up is the best option for a lower score. Good luck!

I think I will heed this advice! Just gotta work on my putting game first..
Oh and btw, went to renny and did not see any of your discs in the pit ;c I was down there looking for mine :gross:

All in all, I have had four aces in my little over a year tenure. The longest one? 138 foot. Second longest? 125 ft. Both on my first shot; both on easy courses. My other two were basically long putts; don't even know if they can be considered aces at < 90 ft.
:doh:

Hah, thanks for checking.

It's been a goal of mine to get a jump putt ace. There were two holes in particular I knew I had a chance at in Ohio, but I'm still looking for one here in Charlotte.

I also need to get a shirtless ace :D

I have not got a 1 on the score card yet.
And some 2s are harder to write down than others

oh do I know how that one feels. Hole 8 of my home course at the end of my season last year. Let a champ TL go and knew it was gonna be close. Hear a metallic sound, but not chains. Sure as heck the disc is stuck in the side just like yours. That damn hole is still torturing me. One day though, one day.

Just out of curiosity i want to look up your "local" course you play most and look it over. Let me know the name.

Well there are a few local courses. Being that we have one at work I don't venture out as much as I used to. The ones that I play as they are either closer to work or home are Northside Park in Sartell, MN and River's Edge Park in Waite Park, MN. The others I play on occasion are Riverside Park and Calvary Hill Park both in St. Cloud, MN.

The course we have at work is 5 holes, can be played as 9 if wanted. We usually play the 5 holes 4 times a day. It has a nice short first ace shot at about 144ft, the second hole is a sharp left around the trees, about 190ft. The third is a long straight throw with a large rock/boulder in front, 250ft. Hole 4 is tricky with trees, and a slight curve to the left, but a nice rock/boulder to let you take a run when lined up if you lay up short, 188ft. Then hole 5 is slightly to the right, but trees make you finesse it a bit to anhyzer it, 245ft.

I have come extremely close on hole 3, and hole 5 which is funny as they are the longest holes.

I've been fortunate enough to sink 5 aces in the little time I've been playing, but I'd much rather park it every time than blow by on an ace run. Hearing those chains sing is real nice though haha.

Don't sweat it, the ace will come when you least expect it.

Play a few Ace Races to build up your confidence.

That worked for me. My first Ace was in the first Ace Race I had played in during about my 2nd or 3rd year playing. It showed me that it was possible even though it was a shortened hole. My first ace in an actual round was a couple of years later on the shortest hole at my local course that is in the woods but with a clear fade left fairway to the basket. Then I hit it again later that season, and again the next season during a league scramble for a payout and haven't since and that was about 3 years ago.

Then earlier this year I hit my first ace at a course out of town. Also my longest at 271'.

However, none of them I was really aiming for the chains. I was just going for a deuce. As everyone else has said, keep on playing for a close deuce and yours will come.

Good luck!

Rick G

12 years of playing. I have one. :/. Mine came 8 years ago. I did have a 2 year gap where I didn't play much because the closes course was over an hour away and I was an intern with no cash. But either way, so many chain outs and and near missed. My buddy though has 12 years and no aces.

Yup, 12+ years and still no ACE. Lots of metal hits and one very close chain out but nothing has stuck, YET! Going to play my 2nd ace race style event so hopefully that will get things jump started. Would rather hit it during one of the 2 local minis ($150 at one and 2x $200 at the other).

My last one was like that. Just stepped up, felt really good about the throw, and unloaded. It was due though - over 2 years

That was my reaction last week when I hit one , just under 2 yrs between aces for me. Still need to hit an ace in competition setting though. Also looking for an ace at or over 275ft.

Could be just a complete coincidence but, there is something about hitting that first one that then seems to make it so much easier to hit many more. Just have to get that monkey off your back. Took me about 2 years to hit my first one then in the last 2 years since I hit the first one I've hit 11. More you play the more chances you have. Good luck! It will happen!

After not hitting an ace for my first twenty something years of playing, I've now hit one a year for the last three years. Be patient, it'll come for sure. :thmbup:

After almost 13 years of discing I have 13 aces. The first being a total fluke within my first 3 months playing. My most recent being one i had gotten chains on two rounds in a row, and right before I aced it I said "I think I'm gonna hit this ace sometime soon I have the line". It's an amazing feeling, confidence booster, and just plain cool. I had a few years of ace drought but didn't let it get to me and then had a year with 3 aces. If you really want one I would go to a hole you have a nice line on, and play it as many times in a row as you feel like. If you don't hit it that session you will at some point with friends playing a round.

Aces are rarely ever intentional, so the more you "try" for one, the longer you might end up waiting. Forget about getting aces and just throw to get close enough for birdies. The ace will come eventually.

I COMPLETELY disagree. I have a mere 6 aces in 7 years. But I very much intended to put the disc in the basket on each one. If a hole is 325 or shorter, I see a clear line that I know I can throw, my intention EVERY time is to put it in.

I firmly believe there are 2 schools of thought, none better than the other. One is as you suggest, throw for birdies and you'll probably get a lucky ace. The other school is to run it for the ace every time. To me its no different than a 100 foot approach. I go for every basket on every shot that I think I can make. I might be a lot better golfer if I laid up or went for the birdie, but call me a gunslinger or fool hearty , I'm going for chains!

I was lucky to land an ace on a short, downhill drive within a couple months of playing on a regular basis (2012).

Since then, I have not aced... But in the past two weeks, I have chained out and hit the pin on the same exact hole that I did ace in 2012.

I guess that is just my hole or something.

Leaners are much harder to get than aces. I have only had 3 in my 21 years of play. Maybe the reason I get aces is because I try to land near the basket and miss my spot or get the accidental skip in. When it misses it's never more that 10-15ft away. Of my 155 aces I imagaine that 90% of them were skip aces. Don't try to put it in, just try to put it close.

I think this is fitting for this thread. Me and my friend have been playing almost 2 years and neither one of us has an ace. Today we are on hole 7 of our local course. It's a 215 foot hole with a mando. He misses the mando on his first throw. Then on his re tee he hits an ace. We know it's scored as a 3 but we don't know whether he gets to count it as his first ace. lol. An ace for par.

I would wager that no one has felt the rejection of the elusive ace as my Uncle... at least for someone who's only been playing a few years.

Multiple variables go into his frustration:

1. He's the only one in our family that plays a lot that doesn't have one. I have two, my Dad has two, and my other Uncle has one.

2. He is EASILY the most accurate of all of us. I mean, there are days that he can Skywalker through a tight window like the best of 'em.

3. He has had 15+ near misses. Posts, chain strikes, bounce outs, last second tree grabs, etc. It is so close every time.

4. With every passing miss, he gets more mad. I've never seen anyone be as pissed with a chain strike that leaves a three foot bird putt, but he gets more mad with each miss.

I would honestly trade one of my ace's for him to get one... no question. Every time he gets close, it is a heartbreaker when it simply doesn't fall... but one day, when it does... it will be glorious.

Latest posts