• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

Regular production 150 S exists I have one of the first run more overstable than from hearsay current ones. I haven't checked where you could get them check out the online vendors.

bill said:
zj1002 said:
bill said:
it's funny how people first compared the pd to a teebird.

because when it is new, it is a longer teebird

maybe a more seasoned dx teebird or maybe a champ/star teebird if you have 380+ power but my max is pretty much 350' and i've never gotten my old beat champ or star teebirds to turn like my P or even S PD. not flip but turn and really stretch out with little effort. i put all i can into my teebirds and still only reach 300. for me the ppd seems more like longer seasoned gazelle and the spd more like a longer eagle. i understand the 'when it is new' but it only took a day for p plastic to start turning and the s plastic maybe a week.

I posted about this a while ago. But recently I got some more S-PDs, and they are noticeably more tee-bird-like than the ones I had before. I'm VERY pleased by this because I was starting to jones for a Teebird. I got sick of accidentally flattening them in the 350'+ range and failing to throw legitimate hyzer shots.

S 175 Blue freak stamp (domier) (stable, hit tons of trees at near max power and is still plenty stable)
S 172 Red freak stamp (flatter) (immediately lost all of it's fade, threw a power turnover up a hill with it just before I lost it.)

I have no idea what the difference is. Were there different runs of freak stamped S-pds? Is color a good predictor of stability?

discspeed said:
I've been auditioning my red champy-star S-PDs as my main max D drivers, and so far I've been quite pleased. It just seems like I don't have to gear up as much to hit 400' with the PD as I have to when I throw the faster stuff. The wider rimmed discs only work if I throw faster than I want to. When I'm pushing my putters, mids, and PDs past their cruising speed and crushing them I'm still slower through my form than I am with my Destroyers. I can't do a slow run-up and throw something faster than an Orc out past 360', and it is a shot with A LOT of low speed fade. It probably is because I can't grip wider rims as well, so I can't transfer as much of my snap into them. Because of this I tend to use more reach back and spin faster to try and compensate for the snap I'm not putting on them. This can result in long throws, but it is very inconsistent unless I'm practicing it in a field 2+ days a week. It also has a negative effect on my finesse game when I practice throwing distance with wide rimmed drivers too much because I start reaching back and spinning faster even when I don't want to. This is how throwing wide rimmed drivers has hurt my form in the past. I'm sticking with the PDs as they have been accurate for me to 400'+, and that is all I really need. I'm keeping one Destroyer (Avery Star) for its speed and overstable finish mostly for FH and a few situations BH.

Amen.

On a totally different note: these stiff P-PDs... This is just speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if that pro mix has a high percentage of star plastic. I have a softer P-PD it's a lot like the standard innova pro plastic that goes into drivers. It's grippy slightly flexible and has a matte finish. But, these stiff P-PDs... the plastic has a shiny finish that looks a hell of a lot like star. Anyway, it's definitely not like any innova pro plastic I've ever seen. It's really nice stuff.

Danforth said:
Frank Delicious said:
yeah, the 09 christmas disc was a 150 S PD.

Do you know where I can gets me one?

I just played Pyramids a few days ago and Marshall street had some 150 PDs. I remember thinking they had them in both plastics but I could be wrong.

Fizzy said:
discspeed said:
I've been auditioning my red champy-star S-PDs as my main max D drivers, and so far I've been quite pleased. It just seems like I don't have to gear up as much to hit 400' with the PD as I have to when I throw the faster stuff. The wider rimmed discs only work if I throw faster than I want to. When I'm pushing my putters, mids, and PDs past their cruising speed and crushing them I'm still slower through my form than I am with my Destroyers. I can't do a slow run-up and throw something faster than an Orc out past 360', and it is a shot with A LOT of low speed fade. It probably is because I can't grip wider rims as well, so I can't transfer as much of my snap into them. Because of this I tend to use more reach back and spin faster to try and compensate for the snap I'm not putting on them. This can result in long throws, but it is very inconsistent unless I'm practicing it in a field 2+ days a week. It also has a negative effect on my finesse game when I practice throwing distance with wide rimmed drivers too much because I start reaching back and spinning faster even when I don't want to. This is how throwing wide rimmed drivers has hurt my form in the past. I'm sticking with the PDs as they have been accurate for me to 400'+, and that is all I really need. I'm keeping one Destroyer (Avery Star) for its speed and overstable finish mostly for FH and a few situations BH.

Amen.

On a totally different note: these stiff P-PDs... This is just speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if that pro mix has a high percentage of star plastic. I have a softer P-PD it's a lot like the standard innova pro plastic that goes into drivers. It's grippy slightly flexible and has a matte finish. But, these stiff P-PDs... the plastic has a shiny finish that looks a hell of a lot like star. Anyway, it's definitely not like any innova pro plastic I've ever seen. It's really nice stuff.
I feel like the stiff P-pds are more likely a blend that had more pro-dx blend than pro-star just by how fast they season and the way they chunk when damaged.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

my 150's are only S plastic, one freak one not. the freak is straight and the nonfreak is still very stable. blue and yellow respectively.

to see someone with 400+ power moving away from faster discs like destroyers to the pd as their distance driver really speaks to how consistent these things are. especially in the S plastic.

So last night I let my friend Miles throw a stable S-PD on a 360' uphill hole (effective distance about 400') on a flat hyzer. He's got the power to easily overthrow bosses and destroyers on holes like this, and was amazed at the control of this disc while still getting a lot of distance.

I have another convert ;).

I'm a new convert as well. Tried the P-Pds earlier in the season and really didn't care for them too much. Recently I got a couple yellow 172 S plastic ones that I freekin love. I'm using them with 11X firebirds and pro/star valks for most of my driving now. It gets me to places a teebird couldn't with a lot more control than something with a wide wing.

My PD's; max S and 168 P, have pushed my Wraiths and Tee Birds out of my bag. I've been waiting patiently for a C-PD I can call my own to kick out my 12x Firebirds. I've also recently added a 168 P-CD that gets some freakish distance. It needs some room to work but it's a great compliment to the awesomesauce that is the PD. I'm a direct convert because of this site.

I lost one of my qolf's that I'd had in the bag for about 7 months a couple weeks ago and figured now was the time to try out some PD's. I got a domey 169 S and a pretty flat and softer 170 P. I feel like they are very similar to my 1.1 qolf's in different stages of wear, but a little bit more workable. So I took the qolf's out for a while and I am scoring better with the PD's right out of the box. I can't say that this will last forever, but I am getting better distance and control out the S-pd than I was out of my qolf's. I am having an easier time keeping the nose down as well(could be in my imagination). So to complete the trinity, I put one of my red C-PD's back in the bag and I just don't like it. At my power level, it's just too beefy for anything but 20mph headwinds.

Man, I am back to the PD and loving it. They fly so much better at 600' rather than 5000'. I wish I had kept my real beat (p-pd), and the two C's that I had. Now I have to get some, and an S I suppose. I was crushing some holes on my new home course in WV with em that I was having problems on before. the only thing that sucks is that I am only getting in one round a week. I am perpetually out of practice. The only thing that is any good is putting, since I have my own basket. Some of you Virginia, North Carolina, or Pennsylvania DGR peeps should come to Morgantown and play a couple of rounds with me. We got two courses side by side!

rooneytunes said:
I lost one of my qolf's that I'd had in the bag for about 7 months a couple weeks ago and figured now was the time to try out some PD's. I got a domey 169 S and a pretty flat and softer 170 P. I feel like they are very similar to my 1.1 qolf's in different stages of wear, but a little bit more workable. So I took the qolf's out for a while and I am scoring better with the PD's right out of the box. I can't say that this will last forever, but I am getting better distance and control out the S-pd than I was out of my qolf's. I am having an easier time keeping the nose down as well(could be in my imagination). So to complete the trinity, I put one of my red C-PD's back in the bag and I just don't like it. At my power level, it's just too beefy for anything but 20mph headwinds.

It's not your imagination. The PD loves nose down. I've thrown some shots into head wind recently that came out a little nose up. They gained a lot of height toward the end of the flight. Just when I expected the usual stall-out/back-slide you get from a lazy nose-up hyzer shot, they flipped a tiny bit more, turned nose down, and faded straight forward with a little hyzer finish at the end. The PD is awesome.

As for C-PD's, I'm not totally sure what to do with mine either. It's ridiculously beefy. I tried to throw some big anhyzer flex out shots with it and definitely did NOT have the power to pull it off. A few times I've tried to use it for a flat/fade shot. Usually they don't make it very far. I've never thrown a new FB but it seems like it might be pretty similar.

when new my cpds flew like my fbs. Only a little further. Beat a cpd in,they stay straighter longer and still have a predictable fade. I want to cyce in a new cpd withh my beat one but this one is $$ now

I need a bigger bag so I can carry one of the 5 C-PDs I have. And another S-PD. And one of those stiff P-PDs.

Latest posts