• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

I managed to lose 2 PDs today.

I was trying to throw a nice big flex shot over the row of trees about halfway down silver 14 at Pyramids with my nice yellow DGR P-PD. It never came out of the turn and floated into the folliage on the left side of the very large fairway and decided it did not want to be found. :(

So I ran into Marshall Street and bought two more. That's going to be my new rule. If I lose a disc that I like, I will buy two more. :)

Then on 8 at Maple Hill I put one of my brand new ones into the drink. :( :(

Once my round was over I booted back on over to Marshall St., but they were already closed. :( :( :(

Unity said:
discspeed said:
Even the newer, less stable S-PDs are more stable than the Ps by a decent amount.

In general they feel that way for me, but for what ever reason It isn't as easy for me to flip the S-PD to flat. They either don't get quite there or they turn a little too far over. The P-PD just goes to flat and stays there for me. It could be from a lack of attempts and adjusting to the S-PD, but the P-PD has worked for me since the first attempt, with zero learning curve.

S-PDs have a little more of a natural "S" character to their flight. I find they get 2 main flightpaths with a fairly flat throw. They either do a Teebird-style straight-to-glidey hyzer, or a shot that drifts slightly understable with a modest fade at the very end. On the other hand, the P-PD is much straighter, and capable of flipping up or going slightly over and back in a much tighter line with about 1/2 the fade of the S.

After throwing them for a few weeks, I took the PDs out of my bag. They are nice, but I'm more comfortable with Teebirds (bread and butter driver for the past few years - aside from a couple months toying with other stuff), and the difference in distance potential between the two isn't really necessary since I throw slower midranges.

victorb said:
After throwing them for a few weeks, I took the PDs out of my bag. They are nice, but I'm more comfortable with Teebirds (bread and butter driver for the past few years - aside from a couple months toying with other stuff), and the difference in distance potential between the two isn't really necessary since I throw slower midranges.

That's what I was thinking about them. If I wasn't throwing the Buzzz right at the heels of the fairways I was throwing, then I would have stuck with Teebirds, Eagle-Xs, and TLs. I just never threw them, so I sought out a longer driver. PD was the perfect step up in speed/distance and stability from the Buzzz, while retaining similar flight characteristics to the fairways I had been using.

So I took my C-PDs out of my bag for the moment because I "rediscovered" my pretty beat z-preds. I was throwing them in my neighborhood's local park and was getting these to hyzer flip to 420' pretty easily with a nice, predictable fade at the end. I'm going to test these out to see if it works. I've been throwing my new Preds out to 375' or so and I think the beat ones will complement this nicely.

I hate to take the c-pds out, but the preds just have sooooo much more glide and are easier to throw. Anyone else found this?

Daniel

patdabunny said:
I hate to take the c-pds out, but the preds just have sooooo much more glide and are easier to throw. Anyone else found this?

Daniel

I have had Preds that glided better than the C-PDs...However, S-PDs have way more glide and are easier to shape lines with than those Preds. My C-PD only gets used when glide would be a bad thing (wind, power hyzers).

i wouldn't mind trying some new or used PDs from anyone who's dropping them... have all kinds of stuff to trade.

First PD ace today! 318' straight to hyzer right into the chains. I used my red 175 S-PD...This has become my favorite all around driver (even before the ace). It earned me $100...

Congrats on the aces, Discspeed. I'm really digging the PD. I've been throwing them with great success. For some odd reason this disc loves to park holes. :mrgreen:

First time poster!

You can see my current bag setup below in my signature. The PD's I'm throwing are 1 each SPD production run non freak stamp and PPD freak stamp. The SPD is a little domey and the PPD is relatively flat and feels like S plastic. I'm loving them both. I never found a fairway driver I truly loved so usually I went from Buzz to Roadrunner to Wraith. When the Katana came out I started using it for max D on wide open bombs and also powered down with some hyzer to get a flight close to what my Wraith gave me. In reading this forum topic I tried the PD and dropped my Wraith and Roadrunner because I have less overlap with the Katana. I now use the Katana for all out D and use different PD plastics to fill everything from controlled D to straight to forced anny. I feel I have more control on all of the above because I can get a better consistent release vs the Wraith and have better control than the RR because of better predictability. I have nothing in between my Buzz and PD combo and the gap is filled better than ever before because I can power down the PD and get the lines a traditional fairway driver could give me. The closest I ever came to liking a fairway driver was the Eagle-X but found that I can do everything I could with it plus tons more with the PD. Now a feel I have everything covered from Fairway driver to all out control D bombs with the PD and no overlap with the Katana.

I am RHBH dominant but also throw a lot of RHFH off the Tee depending on the situation. I can forehand all my discs well. The PD does not give me any skip in P or S plastic when thrown sidearm. My firebird skips a mile and is also my tornado wind driver (ultimate trust). I have been pondering getting a few CPDs from DGV with the Big D in the desert stamp. I read on here that it will be longer than my FB which is a good thing. Is it as predictable? Also will it give me that great FB skip? Are there certain colors I should ask for? Will it overlap with my FB? If so could the XXX fill the FB and Drone slot being as long as the FB and as controllable as the Drone? Does the XXX give FB skip?

I know this is a lot of info and questions but appreciate in advance any help!

TheCarGuy said:
First time poster!

You can see my current bag setup below in my signature. The PD's I'm throwing are 1 each SPD production run non freak stamp and PPD freak stamp. The SPD is a little domey and the PPD is relatively flat and feels like S plastic. I'm loving them both. I never found a fairway driver I truly loved so usually I went from Buzz to Roadrunner to Wraith. When the Katana came out I started using it for max D on wide open bombs and also powered down with some hyzer to get a flight close to what my Wraith gave me. In reading this forum topic I tried the PD and dropped my Wraith and Roadrunner because I have less overlap with the Katana. I now use the Katana for all out D and use different PD plastics to fill everything from controlled D to straight to forced anny. I feel I have more control on all of the above because I can get a better consistent release vs the Wraith and have better control than the RR because of better predictability. I have nothing in between my Buzz and PD combo and the gap is filled better than ever before because I can power down the PD and get the lines a traditional fairway driver could give me. The closest I ever came to liking a fairway driver was the Eagle-X but found that I can do everything I could with it plus tons more with the PD. Now a feel I have everything covered from Fairway driver to all out control D bombs with the PD and no overlap with the Katana.

I am RHBH dominant but also throw a lot of RHFH off the Tee depending on the situation. I can forehand all my discs well. The PD does not give me any skip in P or S plastic when thrown sidearm. My firebird skips a mile and is also my tornado wind driver (ultimate trust). I have been pondering getting a few CPDs from DGV with the Big D in the desert stamp. I read on here that it will be longer than my FB which is a good thing. Is it as predictable? Also will it give me that great FB skip? Are there certain colors I should ask for? Will it overlap with my FB? If so could the XXX fill the FB and Drone slot being as long as the FB and as controllable as the Drone? Does the XXX give FB skip?

I know this is a lot of info and questions but appreciate in advance any help!

I'll try my best to answer you here-- I don't think there is any overlap between a CPD and a FB. FBs are truly overstable, CPDs are a little more stable than a PPD, but aren't anywhere near overstability imo. The XXX is a Firebird turned up to 11 (I hate it when people say "on steroids" when they just mean "longer", but it might actualyy fit in this case). It's longer, more overstable, and fades harder. Also, a better on hammers (tomahawks to a non ulty player), thumbers and rollers. (disclaimer --I do play an XXX, but haven't played a fb)

IME, the C-PD is just as overstable as my ESP Predators. I have max weight dark red C-PD's if that matters. But I can say without a doubt that they ARE overstable. Not XXX overstable though.

The C-PD's will NOT have big skips like your FB. Neither will the XXX, but the XXX is MORE overstable than the FB by a good margin.

The C-PD's are VERY predictable. I know mine will NEVER turn over on me, so I can fully crank em and know they will just go straight with strong fade.

Also, at least for me, the XXX is shorter than a FB. And thats because the XXX is so mega overstable that it starts to fade on me much sooner than a FB or Predator. Although on thumbers and overhand shots, the XXX is the longest disc in my bag.

Strauss said:
IME, the C-PD is just as overstable as my ESP Predators. I have max weight dark red C-PD's if that matters. But I can say without a doubt that they ARE overstable. Not XXX overstable though.

The C-PD's will NOT have big skips like your FB. Neither will the XXX, but the XXX is MORE overstable than the FB by a good margin.

The C-PD's are VERY predictable. I know mine will NEVER turn over on me, so I can fully crank em and know they will just go straight with strong fade.

Also, at least for me, the XXX is shorter than a FB. And thats because the XXX is so mega overstable that it starts to fade on me much sooner than a FB or Predator. Although on thumbers and overhand shots, the XXX is the longest disc in my bag.
I probably define overstable more narrowly than most.

Trying to decide on a main distance driver. I always have my Teebird in my bag and have recently added the Pro and Champion Starfire. I hear that the Pro Starfire will be a nice D disc when it breaks in. I was wanting a go-to longer disc outside my Teebird (one of my favorite discs) that can handle wind and still be controllable. My buddy had a P-PD and said it was money, but it broke in a little too fast for him and he had to hyzer-flip it. If that is the case, should I get a S-PD for longer ranges and headwinds and a P-PD for everything else that I can't get to with a Teebird?

My current bag looks like:

3 x Teebird (1 champ and 2 DX)
2 x Starfire (1 champ and 1 Pro)
1 x Firebird (champ)
2 x Rocs (1 KC and 1 DX)
1 x Comet (elite-x)
2 x Voodoos (SS)

Thanks to DSpeed's flight comments and Booter's not liking the stiff P-PDs, I am now happy with the firm P-PD for the heavily wooded and hilly Massillon course. There are 3 holes that call for all the straight D I can muster. And the hybrid flight works out, plus the occasional scratches are fair trade for not having to re-work a bent disc every time it hits a tree 200ft+ out.

PS- when wind kicks up 10-15, the seasoned soft PPD just spanks the skittish Katana :)

My two cents on the PD: I've been trying out the PD lately, I've thought a lot about it, and here are some notes. For reference, I have a yellow 172 P-PD and a red 170 S-PD. I'm throwing them RHBH and maxing out at about 410' with flat shots. RHFH they quit about 300'.

1. It loves to turn nose down at the end of the flight. This is easy to do with a disc like the leopard or a beat roc: you flip it up to flat from a steep hyzer angle, it turns nose down and fades straight forward. What's amazing to me is that the PD (particular in P plastic) does this when flipped from only a slight hyzer angle. I think this is the main reason the PD can be so straight. The benefits of this are obvious.

2. The PD is not really true stable the way the TB is. It's a little understable. (Out of the box, both PDs had less HSS than my 2 year old beat 170 Star TB.) If you throw the PD hard enough to get some turn out of it, it's a magically slow and consistent turn that persists until very late in the flight. Despite this, in head wind, it doesn't become flukey. It turns more, yes, but is plenty consistent. I'm quite confident throwing flip up hyzer shots into head wind with the PD in either plastic.

3. With a little more hyzer and spin, the behavior described in (2) is easily avoidable: the disc flips little and bites hard left with a lot of glide for hyzer shots with a plenty of horizontal movement. Of course, most discs behave this way, but the point is, it's a lot more versatile than a disc like the leopard.

4. The PD will hold an anhyzer forever. I can't wait to get the P really beat because I think it'll become a really long consistent turnover disc.

5. The PD is less nose angle sensitive than most discs in it's speed class.

6. In view of 1-5, the P-PD consistently reminds me of the worlds longest mid-range. I often throw shots with it that look like the huge flip up roc shots I've seen from players with much more power than me. That's pretty cool!

7. I rarely throw the Surge much farther and the PD has a much smaller rim. With it's straight fade, it's very long, and sufficient for all but the longest low hyzer/fade shots (a la Boss). It's distance/rim width ratio is awesome. I rarely throw max distance discs anymore.

8. I have much more success throwing forehands with the PD than the Teebird. I'm not sure why. I've put a lot of effort into throwing the TB forehand and can do it ok. But the PD immediately produced the most effortless clean releases. Maybe it's the shape of the rim, maybe it's because I suck. I have no idea. Regardless, I'm getting noticeably more birdies from forehand drives now than ever before.

9. In view of 1-8, the PD has to be one of the most versatile golf discs ever created. I can imagine why someone with more power than me might want to stick with the teebird for stability (occasionally the PD holds right a little longer than I expect), but for me it's ideal. It easily covers everything but the most overstable and most understable shots (backhand and forehand) in all sorts of wind.

I'm seriously thinking of rebuilding my driving game around it.

p.s. I'd love to hear what other people have to say about some of these points (especially 1).

I was able to search (using the newly re-vamped search function :mrgreen: ) and there wasn't much on people throwing rollers with these bad dudes. Tonight I was throwing a beat P-PD with some rollers and was getting some good rolls out of it. Anyone else been rolling these?

Iman522 said:
I was able to search (using the newly re-vamped search function :mrgreen: ) and there wasn't much on people throwing rollers with these bad dudes. Tonight I was throwing a beat P-PD with some rollers and was getting some good rolls out of it. Anyone else been rolling these?
Been rolling and thumbing the C-PD, it works damn well for both.

Also: Got me some pink SM2010 (Finland Championships) C-PDs, both are the tiniest bit more domey than my dayglo and orange test run C-PD and the PLH is a small bit lower, but they're still plenty stable and do everything I've trusted the test runs to do, maybe a bit longer. Love them.

Iman522 said:

I'm rolling with a worn 166g P-PD. It works just as well for them as any other disc I've used in the past. I'm throwing FH/OH rollers with my C-PD as a rescue shot.

So after throwing a S PD for a while now and really putting it through it's paces (especially at the last two PDGAs I played) I have to say it is way closer to a SOLF than I thought and it really isn't as teebirdish as I first though, more of a teebird/eagle hybrid flight.

Latest posts