• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

http://www.youtube.com/user/spyderpride

Videos uploaded to youtube without permission. Just let me know if anything is wrong and I will attempt to remedy the issue. To Blake specifically, let me know if you want things changed or if you want the videos taken down. I believe you have the ability to send me an email, so do that for the quickest response.

Enjoy :)

the index finger is not what makes the disc launch from the hand. the index and pinch mostly "guide" and "direct" the movement of the disc through the late part of the throw. the ejection is initiated by the extension of the wrist and jump off the palm and the index/thumb pinch tugs along the rim giving an extra bit onto the throw (assuming you are full hitting it and not half hitting it). this is the out motion as mentioned in the not yet completed part 4.

the grip doesn't have to be nearly as strong as you think it does because by the time the disc is pivoting it's as good as gone. the goal isn't to hang onto it through the pivot, it is to give it extra juice INTO the pivot.

that bit of extra juice is responsible for like 50-80' of line drive power, which may seem stupid and unrealistic but it's the truth :p this is what separates the 430-450' half-hitters vs. the 480-530' full hitters. a little inch-long tug of the pinch does that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the plate drill (now attempt #5 at part 4):
if you sit in front of a an upside-down domey disc on a table, the point on the disc closest to you being 6 o'clock and the point farthest away from you being 12 o'clock, pinch your index and thumb on the edge of the disc at 12 o'clock. your wrist should be slightly curled around the outer edge. with a circular motion give a firm tug in the clockwise direction.

that's a similar kind of feel to the "full hit" portion of the throw has that happens at the end of the hammer-in. if you tug it with acceleration and get beyond 3 o'clock you should feel the wrist extend naturally.

repeat the drill spinning disc right-side up with your index on the rim.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SpyderPride: just make sure to credit it to disc golf review (a link would be super) and to me if possible. I don't care if you use my last name or not, but if you are going to, please spell it correctly :p a credit to Blake T would be fine.

thanks for taking care of something i was too lazy to do. i can forward you higher res ones if you want to upload em. hit me with an email and i can send em as an attachment. i did the smallest version possible to avoid dgr's bandwidth being ravaged.

Added descriptions giving credit to Blake and DGR along with links. Check it out and see if anything else needs changing. If anyone knows how to edit the description and tags/etc of several videos at once, please let me know. Also let me know if there is a good way to link them together in a series, especially if this will help with batch editing.

I'm happy to help, the information on this site has made my new favorite sport a lot more enjoyable.

Blake_T said:
thanks for taking care of something i was too lazy to do.
I am pretty sure you are one of the least lazy people in disc golf, what with all the work and writing you have done on it. You are certainly under-compensated for everything you have done... thanks again.

SpyderPride said:
Blake_T said:
thanks for taking care of something i was too lazy to do.
I am pretty sure you are one of the least lazy people in disc golf, what with all the work and writing you have done on it. You are certainly under-compensated for everything you have done... thanks again.

No, Blake is pretty lazy.

Thanks Blake very much for this technique and all of your hard work. But so far, I'm finding the pound the hammer drill to be as elusive as getting a good throw. I'm still stuck on the first drill. I have read-watched-read-watched-to death and taped up my finger and tried for a long time (on two separate days) but I can't get the "feeling." I'm not getting any bounce or recoil, the disc sometimes slips out of my hand, sometimes I get a pain in my hand, and sometimes the disc shifts in my grip. Is anyone else having as much trouble as I am? I'm not giving up yet, but I thought this was supposed to be "easy." Don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining. I know I just suck.

the recoil happens when:
1) the motion stops
2) you have correctly shifted the weight of the disc

the pain in your hand says you're strong-arming it hard and out of control.

worry more about the feel than on trying to copy my video. that is why i don't like people trying to learn from videos. you'll find your own way that may be very different from what mine looks like.

Slowing down may help especially for the pain. Try to let the arm drop under gravity alone with the disc vertical until the arm is almost straightened say 8" short of the arm being straight and then whip the wrist from where ever it is to as far as it will go but only after warming up and stretching the arm. See if you can under muscle power to actively stop the wrist whip just before the maximum extension or just missing it and allowing the rest of the stopping to come from the arm not going farther any more. If you don't get recoil try to retard the onset of the active stopping getting more tendon bounce from the tendons being stretched. Rinse and repeat until you get enough acceleration late enough to really stretch the wrist area tendons so that they will retract to normal length fast enough to create a recoiling motion to the hand so that the wrist will quickly return to straightish.

The fake grip didn't really work for me either. Try a bonapane grip and then move to a two-finger FH grip, this gave the disc more support and allowed me to feel a fluid pivot.

Higher resolution videos uploaded, low res vids deleted. Update your bookmarks if necessary...

Instead of taping your index finger for the fake grip, I've found that reversing the disc for the overhand and sidearm drills helps a lot. Basically, the dome is facing outward like with a thumber, instead of the currently pictured inward facing dome.

The fake grip doesn't care which way the disc is facing for most rims.

Parks said:
Instead of taping your index finger for the fake grip, I've found that reversing the disc for the overhand and sidearm drills helps a lot. Basically, the dome is facing outward like with a thumber, instead of the currently pictured inward facing dome.

The fake grip doesn't care which way the disc is facing for most rims.

That's what i do at work since all I have there is a Teebird.

I have a nice slick DX Destroyer hanging on the wall here at work (from my first tourney), I should do these drills while I'm sitting at my desk...

On a good note, my overhand is back to where it was after it suffered a dip in distance the last couple months, and I credit that to the drills.

On a bad note, all of my backhand practicing has caused a loss of accuracy and no increase in distance, and general awkwardness on the tee...I hope it's not too late to go back to the way I was doing things. Not sure if I'll keep pursuing this or not.

Thanks for this Blake. I will definitely be reading this tonight and tomorrow morning and for a long time until I get a lot of my situation taken care of, and this should help that out a lot.

Awesome job explaining the mechanics of these throws. I went to leagues last night and tried to implement these ideas and my game went south. Definitely need to try it in a field and not when money is on the line, but I could not resist. Thanks.

It has taken a few days of field practice for this to sink in. At first it was awkward bringing the new motion into my throw. Just like it was with the right pec drill. I can get the hard "hammer pound" feel from both drills. Integrating it with my throw while still being fluid was hard.WHEN to pound the hammer.

I had a good moment today! I was working on trying to get my lower body in my throw more by walking through the shot. I had one throw where I grip locked far to the right of my body. It felt like the hammer pound. That's when I knew the timing for the hammer pound and the added umph. I adjusted and my next throw with a pro destroyer went a good 30' over 400. It's weird. All this talk about late acceleration and it seems I wasn't accelerating at all at the very end. Too loose I guess! Anyways. I feel like a full time half-hitter now! 8) My teebird is getting a little bit of turn and going 375-400!

The hammer drill really nailed the feeling I was searching for. The grip locked showed I wasn't accelerating at the right time(the hit).

Thanks Blake and friends!

MrScoopa said:
It has taken a few days of field practice for this to sink in. At first it was awkward bringing the new motion into my throw. Just like it was with the right pec drill. I can get the hard "hammer pound" feel from both drills. Integrating it with my throw while still being fluid was hard.WHEN to pound the hammer.

Awesome job of sticking with it! Its just like learning a new instrument. Its going to feel awkward at first but you have to trust that the reward is much greater than not sticking with it.

MrScoopa said:
I had a good moment today! I was working on trying to get my lower body in my throw more by walking through the shot. I had one throw where I grip locked far to the right of my body. It felt like the hammer pound. That's when I knew the timing for the hammer pound and the added umph. I adjusted and my next throw with a pro destroyer went a good 30' over 400.

Have you tried pounding the hammer and then stopping your arm right as the wrist powers open? If you look down your arm, it should be slightly bent at the elbow and your thumb should be pointing directly in line with how the disc will release. When Blake first told me this, i think i giggled like a little school girl with excitement, because as I found out, it's truly spot on for aiming. You might try that to ensure your truly on line, but it sounds like you stumbled upon it without really knowing it. I have added doing 3 hammer pounds and a stop to my pre-throw routine. This way i can get the "Feel" for pounding the hammer, and then i know if Im on or off the line i want to hit. Then its just a matter of adjusting my run up so that Im throwing on that line.

Remember: Practice how you Play, and Play how you Practice (meaning use the same routine for both). This will also help to build familiarity with the techniques in practice so when you step up on the tee pad, your simply completing the exercise for the umpteenth time versus feeling like your trying to integrate it in to your throw.

MrScoopa said:
All this talk about late acceleration and it seems I wasn't accelerating at all at the very end. Too loose I guess! Anyways. I feel like a full time half-hitter now! My teebird is getting a little bit of turn and going 375-400!

Nice! Throwing older slower plastic that other people dont want to mess with is a sure fire way to get in your competitors head. I love hearing someone go, "You threw what?!?!"

Its almost as much fun as waiting to throw on a hole with a disc you obviously should not be throwing for that shot. Just be sure to show off the disc you are sitting there with so everyone can see it. Its usually good for getting one or more people to change their mind on what disc to use. Then you pick up your best disc and park that mofo. If the disc you show off and the disc you actually throw are the same color, its even better. Just dont let anyone see the disc you actually threw or they might get wise to you. My thanks for that tip goes out to Bob Vanderboss - 1995 Masters World Champ.

MrScoopa said:
The hammer drill really nailed the feeling I was searching for. The grip locked showed I wasn't accelerating at the right time(the hit).

Congrats! You managed to figure 2 things out that will undoubtedly change your disc golf game forever. Keep at it and work it until it bleeds. Remember, its not a routine if you have to think about it. Let it all become second nature.

MrScoopa said:
My teebird is getting a little bit of turn and going 375-400!!

Good for you! It's a fun thing to watch TBs go that far because it just takes them soooooo long to do it. I have had a couple of BIG S shots with TBs that rode the wind for what seemed like days! The late acceleration is critical to get TBs to go 400'+. It's obvious when the late accel isn't there, at least to me.