• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Ehhh... I think most of the top players realize they are sitting on a goldmine of old plastic and are striking while the iron is hot.

I don't think its indicative that they are living check to check (although I'm sure plenty are).

All long as DG continues to grow at it's current rates (double digits for tournament players and courses) there will be a market for the stuff. Once growth slows/stops/retracts; that's when market contract.

With that said, though, I don't think any of them outside of McBeth are making pretty good money. McBeth's tour winning alone last year were $72,000 and that's more than I recall ever seeing any player ever make before. Usually, the top guy is making around $40,000-$50,000 (mcbeth was low to mid $40s in both 2013 and 2014). Couple that with sponsorship bonuses from last year (prior to his big endorsement deals that kicked in this year) and he might have pushed the six figure mark.

The scuttlebutt around SoCal back at the end of 2014 was that McBeth's overall income for 2014, including tourney winnings and sponsorship, was right around 150k. Heard this from several different sources, but obviously none of them were Paul himself. The general consensus was that following his 2013 back-to-back Worlds victory, Innova backed up the money truck to his doorstep.

If this is true - and it's definitely an if - it would imply an even larger windfall in 2015. Would be really interesting to know all of the sponsorship details to get a sense of viability for the top 5-10 pro players.

All long as DG continues to grow at it's current rates (double digits for tournament players and courses) there will be a market for the stuff. Once growth slows/stops/retracts; that's when market contract.
Not entirely true. Niche market bubbles can burst and are not always dependent on growth or lack of growth in the industry itself.

The scuttlebutt around SoCal back at the end of 2014 was that McBeth's overall income for 2014, including tourney winnings and sponsorship, was right around 150k. Heard this from several different sources, but obviously none of them were Paul himself. The general consensus was that following his 2013 back-to-back Worlds victory, Innova backed up the money truck to his doorstep.

If this is true - and it's definitely an if - it would imply an even larger windfall in 2015. Would be really interesting to know all of the sponsorship details to get a sense of viability for the top 5-10 pro players.

Does anyone recall who his 2014 sponsors were (aside from Innova)? Grip...anyone else major?

It'd be great if he was making a killing, but that would essentially mean that his sponsorship money would have been two times his tournament winning and that seems a little unlikely.

With that said, for his sake I hope it's true.

Does anyone recall who his 2014 sponsors were (aside from Innova)? Grip...anyone else major?

It'd be great if he was making a killing, but that would essentially mean that his sponsorship money would have been two times his tournament winning and that seems a little unlikely.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if his sponsorship money far exceeded his winnings. You see it in many international sports such as powerlifting, wrestling, snowboarding, etc. Hell even top pros in major sports make more money off sponsorships/endorsements than their income from the sport itself.

Last edited:
Do the big tournaments issue 1099's? What's the tax rate on winnings?

Between sig disc sales and factory store tour series releases it isn't that unlikely.

Between sig disc sales and factory store tour series releases it isn't that unlikely.

That does raise another question. I've heard conflicting reports over the years on signature discs. I've heard it said unequivocally that the players get money off of tour series discs. However, I've heard it said in the past that they don't necessarily get money off of straight world champion discs. Does anyone know for sure?

Yes. Tax rate depends on the individual player and state. Good chance many have enough expenses to offset the income.

I'm not a tax professional by any stretch, but it definitely seems like they could deduct quite a bit of their travelling expense. At the very least, I think they'd be getting a ~$0.50 per mile for their driving which would end up being a decent chunk if they were properly keeping track of it.

Uhhhhh
I'm not sure how to screenshot but there's a post on Jared Roans Facebook about him putting with wizards. The post also has a picture with a stack of wizards

Uhhhhh
I'm not sure how to screenshot but there's a post on Jared Roans Facebook about him putting with wizards. The post also has a picture with a stack of wizards
Those are those PWP Wizards. You'd hate them. They're garbage. I will buy them all. Whew. Crisis averted. You're welcome.

I'm not a tax professional by any stretch, but it definitely seems like they could deduct quite a bit of their travelling expense. At the very least, I think they'd be getting a ~$0.50 per mile for their driving which would end up being a decent chunk if they were properly keeping track of it.
I'm not one, but I'm married to a tax accountant. As long as you can show that the travel expenses are for travelling to and from tournaments,they are deductible. You can use per diem rules in the tax code OR actual receipts for expenses (and if you spend more than the per diem rules have in them, you'd better keep all of those receipts). I would say travel expenses for a touring pro probably are above what the per diem rules would give them. Mileage is also a factor, as long as they can verify where they're going from and to.

Barsby still with Innova after his leave? Was shooting great final round of masters.

I've seen mentioned here before, but tour series Barsby Beagles sound appropriate.

Love watching Barsby play, would like to see an ITB video from him.

So what happened to all the Paige Pierce hoopla? What is she throwing now?