• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Moose are wild animals, not monsters. Only a monster if you let me eat a lot of dairy and sleep in the same room(sorry to Mrs.Moose).

I'm very curious about the DD migration, wonder if this will end up being like the Prodigy bubble and pop eventually. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

Seems like the people get along well for the most part though.

So just.. bein' lame, trying to talk about the actual topic here:

Anyone know of any more big moves?

After AJ and Peter going to DD, I haven't heard anything more, but someone said DD had another big acquisition coming up?

And what about Innova or Prodigy snagging anyone?

Any good dirt out there?

Or better, let's start some rumors!

Is Vibram sponsoring anybody? The links to their team pages are gone from their website.

I have never met a good disc golfer that threw any Vibram plastic.
I'm not trying to be a wang, but that is a fact.

To that end...why would a pro throw Vibram ?

Moose are wild animals, not monsters. Only a monster if you let me eat a lot of dairy and sleep in the same room(sorry to Mrs.Moose).

I'm very curious about the DD migration, wonder if this will end up being like the Prodigy bubble and pop eventually. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

Seems like the people get along well for the most part though.

Does anyone else find it awkward/uncomfortable that DD sponsored players, feel the need to ask the fan club to give them used discs, so they can figure them out. Or that they raffle off Innova discs to raise $. Thoughts?

I'm very curious about the DD migration, wonder if this will end up being like the Prodigy bubble and pop eventually. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out. .

If we see them all huddled together at every major tournament this year, all high-fiving, chest bumping and group hugging, we'll know the end is near and the following year the exodus will begin. :gross:

That's how it seemed with the beginning of the Prodigy fall anyway. Yeah! Look how great we all are, next year. . .crickets.:p

I have never met a good disc golfer that threw any Vibram plastic.
I'm not trying to be a wang, but that is a fact.

To that end...why would a pro throw Vibram ?

I don't really care to argue your point. I am just wondering if they are still sponsoring players or not. They sponsored several mid-level pros in the past.

Please elaborate, Mr. VW

They are asking for free discs from fans?

There is a couple, that are asking their fans for used discs- drivers, so they can better "learn" seasoned discs. Apparently, if they use a certain disc, they will get a plug on a itb video.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me, especially since they have had so many people join their team. With so many people needing to test plastic, they probably don't have much to choose from at the factory. As far as the players selling off Innova discs, that happens whenever someone leaves a company. Ricky was selling used Prodigy clothing when he went to Lat...:gross:

Last edited:
That sounds perfectly reasonable to me, especially since they have had so many people join their team. With so many people needing to test plastic, they probably don't have much to choose from at the factory. As far as the players selling off Innova discs, that happens whenever someone leaves a company. Ricky was selling used Prodigy clothing when he went to Lat...:gross:

I don't think it's the bolded. There are plenty of discs at the warehouse, enough to supply each team member just fine.

This issue is that each player is only allotted so many free discs per year as part of their sponsorship. If the player is new to the brand, not too familiar with the line, and has no discs of his own yet, stocking his bag plus back-ups with that allotment may not leave him much wiggle room to experiment. And if he guesses wrong or just doesn't click with a disc or two initially, he might have to start buying (at a discount, but still buying) discs to find the one(s) he needs.

That was the case for me when my sponsorship started. First I borrowed from friends in order to try some stuff out, but I also did a ton of research trying to best match what I had been throwing before making my first allotment order to fill out my bag. Some worked out, some didn't. I ended up spending some money to continue trying discs before my deal was renewed and I got a new allotment to work with.

I don't think it's the bolded. There are plenty of discs at the warehouse, enough to supply each team member just fine.

This issue is that each player is only allotted so many free discs per year as part of their sponsorship. If the player is new to the brand, not too familiar with the line, and has no discs of his own yet, stocking his bag plus back-ups with that allotment may not leave him much wiggle room to experiment. And if he guesses wrong or just doesn't click with a disc or two initially, he might have to start buying (at a discount, but still buying) discs to find the one(s) he needs.

That was the case for me when my sponsorship started. First I borrowed from friends in order to try some stuff out, but I also did a ton of research trying to best match what I had been throwing before making my first allotment order to fill out my bag. Some worked out, some didn't. I ended up spending some money to continue trying discs before my deal was renewed and I got a new allotment to work with.
I was more talking about used stuff. But I see what you mean.

I don't really care to argue your point. I am just wondering if they are still sponsoring players or not. They sponsored several mid-level pros in the past.

Vibram has discontinued their sponsorship of Pro's. They have moved to a grass roots team called the Grip Team. Do a search on the Vibram Collectors Facebook group and you can find information on it and even apply if you like.

Vibram has discontinued their sponsorship of Pro's. They have moved to a grass roots team called the Grip Team. Do a search on the Vibram Collectors Facebook group and you can find information on it and even apply if you like.

Wait....there is a Vibram Collectors page? How does that work?

That said, with them finally losing or pulling out of the "Vibram Open" and letting go of the idea of professional sponsorships I don't imagine them staying in the disc golf market much longer honestly.

Last edited:

Latest posts