• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2021 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Anthon gone from innova per Facebook post:

"I would like to announce that I left innova after 18years. I'm a free agent now. Hopefully that means I'm finally free of all the political BS lol."

Sounds like his apology and cover up announcement earlier in the year was BS as well.

I think they were not Good Enough for Dave D and He still hurt sales. This is not surprising since about 50% of the Y generation is not letting companies make a single mistake ever, they have to be 100% perfect in everything they do all the time even a minute mistake can be made or the larger Y generation 50% will boycott the brand and they are that same 50% thinking companies need to be 100% flawless. I hate the snobby Y part even more then the Millennials this way as the current Y are even more snobby in thought.

I say for Innova to fix this and get any of this 50% of Y back promote Philo to right behind Ricky Wysocki. This would have to be done for real and not joking at all even if due to not winning right now or not wanting to be that high in the sponsored team, just promote him automatically without his consent if he does not want give it and be higher on the team.

It would have to be done to fix this wrong by Innova to win that large Y generation that 50% of the Disc golf players in that group back. X well not sure, they tend to use whatever works right now for discs and are smarter, they know not to buy anything Anthon related from Innova that promotes him or lets him get $$ sponsor money from it.

I think they were not Good Enough for Dave D and He still hurt sales. This is not surprising since about 50% of the Y generation is not letting companies make a single mistake ever, they have to be 100% perfect in everything they do all the time even a minute mistake can be made or the larger Y generation 50% will boycott the brand and they are that same 50% thinking companies need to be 100% flawless. I hate the snobby Y part even more then the Millennials this way as the current Y are even more snobby in thought.

I say for Innova to fix this and get any of this 50% of Y back promote Philo to right behind Ricky Wysocki. This would have to be done for real and not joking at all even if due to not winning right now or not wanting to be that high in the sponsored team, just promote him automatically without his consent if he does not want give it and be higher on the team.

It would have to be done to fix this wrong by Innova to win that large Y generation that 50% of the Disc golf players in that group back. X well not sure, they tend to use whatever works right now for discs and are smarter, they know not to buy anything Anthon related from Innova that promotes him or lets him get $$ sponsor money from it.
Beyond the fact that... well... WELCOME TO CAPITALISM... For any of this to have to be correct you'd have to assume that the bulk of the people buying from Innova have any idea who Josh Anthon is or why he'd matter to them from a social justice perspective. You are dramatically overstating the number of people who have a clue who Josh Anthon is. I'd bet 75% of the people who've owned a Josh Anthon Destroyer have no idea who he is much less why he'd be relevant to them. And that in itself is only a small sample of the overall consumer base for Innova.

You may or may not agree with the Anthon thing, but I don't really see how anyone can say he hurt Innova sales. In addition to hardly anyone even knowing who he is, every major company is struggling to keep their staples on shelves right now.

I have been holding back on this for a few days, but I noticed two things when Ezra was on Brodie's YouTube channel:

1) Brodie corrected himself when he said, "You have a Zone in your bag," to "you had a Zone." So a hint he is not going to sign with Discraft?

2) Brodie commented after Ezra missed an in-circle putt, "What is Eric McCabe going to say?" Sounds like team DD to me.

Maybe I am way off, but I just noticed those two things and thought everyone else would too.

Beyond the fact that... well... WELCOME TO CAPITALISM... For any of this to have to be correct you'd have to assume that the bulk of the people buying from Innova have any idea who Josh Anthon is or why he'd matter to them from a social justice perspective. You are dramatically overstating the number of people who have a clue who Josh Anthon is. I'd bet 75% of the people who've owned a Josh Anthon Destroyer have no idea who he is much less why he'd be relevant to them. And that in itself is only a small sample of the overall consumer base for Innova.

In order to understand your post I'd need to read Casey's and I don't ever read anything from Casey that exceeds two sentences. Not that he's a bad guy, but it makes my brain hurt if I read too much from him.

I have been holding back on this for a few days, but I noticed two things when Ezra was on Brodie's YouTube channel:

1) Brodie corrected himself when he said, "You have a Zone in your bag," to "you had a Zone." So a hint he is not going to sign with Discraft?

2) Brodie commented after Ezra missed an in-circle putt, "What is Eric McCabe going to say?" Sounds like team DD to me.

Maybe I am way off, but I just noticed those two things and thought everyone else would too.

hmm... he does put out the short DD style informative videos. Ezra needs a sponsor that will let home focus on his game and play a bunch of tournaments. I'm still hoping either Discmania or Innova. With Josh gone, that might open something up from Innova. But....there could be something to Ezra appearing on Brodie's channel. hmm....

This sound about right?

"leaving sponsor" means fired or no new contract offered.

"changing sponsor" means turned down lower offer and is now looking for a better deal elsewhere.

He could have actually left. An independent contract could do that at the end of a contract (or through mutual negotiation to end the contract). Maybe he didn't like how the last year played out. It's assumed that a new contract was not offered, but who knows. I say this with absolutely no positive feelings about/toward him whatsoever. But it's possible a player leaves/turns down a contract with nothing else on the table for whatever reasons they have. Maybe Innova did piss him off. And maybe they showed him the door.

hmm... he does put out the short DD style informative videos. Ezra needs a sponsor that will let home focus on his game and play a bunch of tournaments. I'm still hoping either Discmania or Innova. With Josh gone, that might open something up from Innova. But....there could be something to Ezra appearing on Brodie's channel. hmm....

Spot open with hannum gone, I still think he's going discraft. Either way, I'll buy his tour series

Josh Anthon has left Innova. He confirmed on his FB page yesterday, with his Christmas post

Oops, I'm late to the party

Last edited:

Whether people "hate it" or not, wouldn't what the profile of the disc golfers who buy the most discs matter? Old guys like you & I who have our bags pretty set HAVE TO be less influential to manufacturers than those Y's, Z's, millennials or whatever they are who jump on buying every new hyped mold.

I am surprised that players and manufacturers don't push to have contracts start/end in early December in order to allow for a big new signing to sling some plastic for Christmas. If these Conrad to MVP examples are true for example, they could have had some special run Conrad Claus Envy with a fun stamp or whatever.

I am surprised that players and manufacturers don't push to have contracts start/end in early December in order to allow for a big new signing to sling some plastic for Christmas. If these Conrad to MVP examples are true for example, they could have had some special run Conrad Claus Envy with a fun stamp or whatever.
Complicates tax tracking for already complicated income/expense tracking for both players and sponsors.

Annual contracts would straddle tax years requiring less than 12 months of activity in two tax years. Most of the pros are not employees and have to handle their business and personal taxes plus some have International complications and state of residency issues. Keeping annual contracts within one tax year is at least one element that can be simplified plus the PDGA Tour year is calendar based for any performance elements. If you get any compensation based on sales, wouldn't you want your December holiday sales linked to the same contract year and sponsor?

I don't see why the first sentence is relevant, but my accounting classes were a few years ago and I haven't touched a business return since.

Do we know that contracts run Jan 1 - Dec 31, or are we just assuming that? It seems like a lot of players already have contracts that don't run straight by the calendar year or else this thread would only be bbq talk and speculation until Jan 1. If players are receiving monthly stipends and start with their new company before the end of the year (like Paul and Paige both did when going to Discraft) then they already have reportable income from their new sponsor. So it's not like this would be a new idea.

Why would I care if my December sales are with a sponsor that I am leaving instead of a new sponsor that I am excited to be going into business with? My hope would be, if I am a big name player such as Conrad, that I am a) getting a better deal at my new sponsor and b) I can pump up some sales with my new sponsor by taking advantage of the holidays. For a top tier talent, whatever they make with a disc drop with their new sponsor should more than outweigh whatever tax implications/complications that might come from that.

Whether people "hate it" or not, wouldn't what the profile of the disc golfers who buy the most discs matter? Old guys like you & I who have our bags pretty set HAVE TO be less influential to manufacturers than those Y's, Z's, millennials or whatever they are who jump on buying every new hyped mold.

I am 32 as of 12-20-2020 so a millennial and I am set 99% now, I did buy another mold of mine from Innova as 2 backup F2
for replacements of the Shark 3 as the mold went oop for an exact numbers model that flies the same yet is worse because less people like the VTech rims like the Lion then the slightly odd Rim of the Shark 3. I could still uses Lion since I have a driving midrange in the Archer that has not just a bead but an almost double bead mold. I just got in 2020 few months ago a Lighting #2 Upshot in Prostyle, wanting 166 grams like the thing said I was getting but got a 175 gram that is more dead straight then my 166 gram due to weight so I will use the mold for Pro Shark replacement when that goes US since that #2 Upshot in Prostyle at 175 grams flies like the worn in Pro Shark.

I still buy new molds, like I tried the Titanic in 2019 with last of the Proline with 2 good backups and a messed up disc that is softer and has a dent in the top plate, and then switched from old Stiff Pro D from 2005 and modern Pro D Magnet 2007 set dur to warping the modern Pro D Magnet in 2017 to Jawbreaker and had to this year buy new Magnets in Jawbreaker due to how soft in durability Jawbreaker is. I this year got a Star Archon 170 gram and crap garbage Champion Archon 172 grams with for my consistent flight long bombing discs that go 15-20 feet further in Star since I use Valkyrie as my main disc for play.

So I still buy molds new to me or replacements for oop molds, just I do not buy every new mold out, unless the mold is a better version of a disc mold I have in the bag that is not great for my playing style. I have found that a mold I was using say DX Stingray both a 166 gram 175 gram disc was not great for wind since I can't put more then 60% power on the mold without it turning off to the right in winds past 10 mph or going in the direction of wind if using 60% power. So I found the Shark to be the better mold in Pro and when that wore in to nearly straight, I got a 175 gram