• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2021 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Drew Gibson announced on Instagram he would no longer be representing Legacy. I didn't even know that was an official partnership but it's news I suppose.

Drew Gibson announced on Instagram he would no longer be representing Legacy. I didn't even know that was an official partnership but it's news I suppose.

I wonder if Drew has something new cooking? He has probably jumped around major sponsors more than any player I can remember.

I wonder if Drew has something new cooking? He has probably jumped around major sponsors more than any player I can remember.

Based on the comments he provided on IG, it doesn't sound like it. Seems like he's expecting a manufacturer to reach out to him. His comments come off at extremely petty. I can see why he hasn't received anything yet.

Seemed to me that the Infinite sponsorship paired with the Legacy sponsorship didn't work out. Always seemed weird to me: he could throw anything but probably should throw Legacy enough to keep them happy. Don't know what the actual terms of the contract were to project what that percentage of throwing Legacy should have been. Although when throwing not on filmed rounds + without tournament crowds, did it really matter what he threw?

Maybe that's an overly reductive perspective on my part.

Seemed to me that the Infinite sponsorship paired with the Legacy sponsorship didn't work out. Always seemed weird to me: he could throw anything but probably should throw Legacy enough to keep them happy. Don't know what the actual terms of the contract were to project what that percentage of throwing Legacy should have been. Although when throwing not on filmed rounds + without tournament crowds, did it really matter what he threw?

Yeah I found it strange too. The worst part is the shade he throws at companies that previously sponsored him and yet wants other companies to reach out to him. Dude seems toxic.

Yeah I found it strange too. The worst part is the shade he throws at companies that previously sponsored him and yet wants other companies to reach out to him. Dude seems toxic.

He can indeed be a douche in person. Not all the time, but I can see why manufacturers may not want him being the face of their brands.

I would actually put just as much pressure on him to bag many of your discs at all times. Local pros who throw a specific disc can wield pretty big influence on their local scene and it leaks into other scenes enough to push disc specific sales to a high degree.

When I started playing you couldn't hope to find Rhynos or Firebirds in stock because anyone who had seen Matt Dollar play on the ATL area would buy them out.

He's not even a big time pro(though arguably good enough to be) but half of the scene around Atlanta bags an M4 because of Martin Young.

If Drew were out there slinging Ghosts as much as he does a Buzzz sales would probably go bonkers.

He posted on Facebook as well and someone (jokingly?) said, congrats on the MVP Sponsorship.

Someone else mentioned that Legacy wouldn't return his phone calls (again, not sure if joking).

I don't recall him ever actually throwing one Legacy disc, or Infinite disc for that matter.

Seems like he didn't do a great job representing either sponsor.

I would actually put just as much pressure on him to bag many of your discs at all times. Local pros who throw a specific disc can wield pretty big influence on their local scene and it leaks into other scenes enough to push disc specific sales to a high degree.

When I started playing you couldn't hope to find Rhynos or Firebirds in stock because anyone who had seen Matt Dollar play on the ATL area would buy them out.

He's not even a big time pro(though arguably good enough to be) but half of the scene around Atlanta bags an M4 because of Martin Young.

If Drew were out there slinging Ghosts as much as he does a Buzzz sales would probably go bonkers.

Good points.

Only tangentially related, I played on some ultimate frisbee teams with Martin in Louisville 12-15 years ago. He would invite us all out to the big tournament every year — Derby City? — but I never took him up on it. Only started playing much after that.

Where does everyone get all of this? I follow him on IG, but honestly haven't noticed anything remotely toxic. I know he doesn't fit the long hair super mellow dude that fans seem to want, but everything I've seen seems to be the stock positivity thank my sponsors i'm blessed stuff that everyone else does.

Where does everyone get all of this? I follow him on IG, but honestly haven't noticed anything remotely toxic. I know he doesn't fit the long hair super mellow dude that fans seem to want, but everything I've seen seems to be the stock positivity thank my sponsors i'm blessed stuff that everyone else does.

What I have seen was when he left DD he said he never felt like part of the team, and that their plastic wasn't really stable enough for a player of his caliber.

They put a fair amount of marketing behind him at the time as well.

Some other mildly snarky remark after leaving Innova but I can't remember it exactly.

More of them than not these were Smashboxx or other interviews, not a whole lot written down or posted.