• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2024 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Just listening to the Eagle interview on Staggered Stance. One interesting thing he disclosed was that there will be no "Eagle line" at MVP in the near future.
He feels like getting an "Eagle line" would be too much work and focus away of playing and focusing on that part. And he feels that the current lineup at MVP is so complete so that he isn't actually missing anything.

I'm surprised by this, if only because having one's own line seems to be the ultimate benefit offered these days.

I guess I understand his reasoning, and certainly don't pretend to know his decision process. I'm guessing there's more than enough $$$ to be made the old fashioned way - through signature discs and special runs.

If I was in charge of Discmania, after signing one of the biggest names in Pro Disc Golf and my new marquee player was publicly talking shit about some of the brand's offerings, I would be super stoked (even if it is the lower end, Chinese stuff).

Then I would add a bonus clause to Alden's contract for everytime he's on coverage throwing any of those three discs Buhr listed.

No surprises. Discmania knew what they were getting into. Most of Alden's YT disc throwing content is his buddies throwing lightweight F7 or F9 or whatever Prodigy's super flippy fairway is, and laughing lol the way. OTOH, Simon never even knew DM made other molds. Gannon is a great player.. maybe the king of Czarcasm.

Haven't listened to Eagle on Staggered Stance but did listen to Smashboxx last night.

Even though he didn't go into contract specifics I took what he said as his contract is leaning more towards guaranteed money than something more bonus heavy that could potentially have a higher ceiling.

Makes sense for somebody rehabbing from shoulder surgery.

If I was in charge of Discmania, after signing one of the biggest names in Pro Disc Golf and my new marquee player was publicly talking shit about some of the brand's offerings, I would be super stoked (even if it is the lower end, Chinese stuff).

Then I would add a bonus clause to Alden's contract for everytime he's on coverage throwing any of those three discs Buhr listed.
I'm curious why you think it's "talking shit about some of the brand's offerings" as opposed to making fun of his friend and implying that he has a noodle arm and needs super flippy discs.

A lot of companies will see that 98% growth from 2021 and erroneously assume they can get that every year after.

For a parallel, look at the craft beer boom, where all these small breweries thought they'd be doubling profit every year so they expanded way too much and now they're bankrupt as demand tapered off.

A lot of companies will see that 98% growth from 2021 and erroneously assume they can get that every year after.

Also how much have sales fallen with the additional manufactures jumping on the train in the past 4 years? Mint, Thought Space Athletics, Lone Star, Neptune, EV7 and I am sure there are others I am forgetting.

Unlike the NFL, where the owners get together to collude against the players, these companies can zig while others zag. MVP is quickly turning into a juggernaut and I think they were wise to snag Eagle.

I agree. They may have also gotten a "damaged goods" discount due to his shoulder issues. It will be interesting to see which moves will pay off as Innova, Discraft, Discmania, and MVP all seem to be taking divergent (no pun intended) paths.

I'm surprised by this, if only because having one's own line seems to be the ultimate benefit offered these days.

I guess I understand his reasoning, and certainly don't pretend to know his decision process. I'm guessing there's more than enough $$$ to be made the old fashioned way - through signature discs and special runs.
I think it's a classy move by Eagle, to at least say that haha. It implies that he wants to fit into the team and he realizes he's another cog in the company. He locked in on a firm deal to provide for his "uncertain" future, bringing marketing clout and he's looking at a wingman kind of role. Just saying that their lineup is complete and he can build a bag without his own special disc line is reassuring for his fans to follow him to gyro.

He's gonna sit back, throw lefty, rehab, double the video content, double the appeal to Simons vids and rake in some cash on special stamps. Sure he doesn't have his own disc line but those special run envy in proton prism is going to be enough to Kickstart his coiffure, if they are like those OTB soft ones. Heck I got two on the way when I realized they're proton and not plasma prism.

I also feel like it's in a decline for how much sponsorship money is around, especially if a player doesn't perform. Theres still the top dogs and the street teams, unfortunately the disc golfing middle class players are being eliminated. Or less compensated. I think the companies are realizing that the money is in a champion or hordes of "free players" that are just happy to be sponsored and get a half dozen free discs every year.... dreaming of being a superstar.

It's hard for a small company to invest in a mid tier player and help them build a name with the disc golf player free market. There is a lot of semi pros and if they become a superstar they're gone in a few years to someone with more cash.

MVP has been smart and lucky. They saved their pennies got JC and he delivered the greatest recorded shot in DG history, smashing the myth that there would never be a gyro World Champion. Rolled that momentum into a smart Simon gamble and now are solidifying with Eagle. It's gonna be tough to slow down that convoy now... even their mid tier and street team are likeable and carefully selected.

MVP has now officially stolen the best part of Discmania, their whole marketing dept.

Last edited:
I agree. They may have also gotten a "damaged goods" discount due to his shoulder issues. It will be interesting to see which moves will pay off as Innova, Discraft, Discmania, and MVP all seem to be taking divergent (no pun intended) paths.

Now we just gotta agree on which metrics to use for paying off or not. I personally am looking at Elite event finishes and tournament coverage. And consistant apperance on there. Not just first round hot round and then tank on the video. For sure 2024 will be interesting!

Now we just gotta agree on which metrics to use for paying off or not. I personally am looking at Elite event finishes and tournament coverage. And consistant apperance on there. Not just first round hot round and then tank on the video. For sure 2024 will be interesting!
$$$ from discs sold is the only metric.

Discs sold still needs to be defined. Eagle chose special runs and signature discs instead of his own line.

I'm curious why you think it's "talking shit about some of the brand's offerings" as opposed to making fun of his friend and implying that he has a noodle arm and needs super flippy discs.

Given his penchant for trolling, it's easy to think that way.

Plus he only listed the Chinese made discs.

Could have mentioned a D-Line FD if your line of thought was correct.

Latest posts