• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] The Judge.

Are/were glow judges made? I have a glow warden that's absoloutley tits and dead nuts straight and will also hold any line too. I want a glow judge...

Yep. The 500 something caramel colored ones. Limited to about seven different special club or fundraiser stamps then about 120 of them released by DD in a big judge stamp. You can find them for sale sometimes. The limited availability makes them go up to sixty bucks sometimes. They were too hard to make in legal weights so it's a Moonshine lucid air plastic. I've got two unthrown and a thrower but not looking to sell. They feel ok. Fly alright. I still prefer dyemax Fuzion for throwing.

Finally got around to trying the Judge. I've played a couple one-disc rounds with it, and while i like the glide, I'm surprised how often it turns over on me. I've been using the Trilogy Challenge Shield a lot this winter, and haven't had the same issue.

Probably my form's fault; when I hit it just right, it gives a very nice long, straight flight.

Shield is a good bit more overstable. Judge can be very straight (stable) depending on how you throw it. Giving it more hyzer and a little less power usually lets it flip up flat and the disc do the work. The glide helps but it's certainly not the longest floating putter. It's a little prone to give bad results with any wrist roll. It's not the best in strong headwinds either. It can take some but anything a little stiffer for wind and it's going to flip fairly easy.

That's my experience, too: capable of some gorgeous straight flights, but not going to absorb user error or excess power. You definitely have to throw it like you're throwing a putter, if that makes sense.

The Lucid I tried was notably more stable, but I really disliked the flight.

Love me some Judge inside the circle, though.

Makes sense. You can power up a Shield pretty well. I like less is more discs, so I'll remember that next time.

It's deeper than the Swan and beaded, so it would take a while to dial in the putts. So far, not pretty. :)

Judge instantly clicked with me but I had been using Wizards and my only two complaints were the depth of it and how I needed a beat one to get the straighter putt flights I wanted. So that's exactly the difference in the judge, it's thinner and less overstable. I just didn't click with the soft plastic so I tried it, loved it, didn't care for the soft plastic and went back to wizards until the classic judge came out.

I like the lucid judge ok for a thrower but it's just not the same as a good fuzion dyemax judge with that little dome and super glide. I love them. I have moonshine, lucid, fluid and they just aren't as good to me as a nice dyemax fuzion. It's my ultimate upshot and driving putter.

Judge instantly clicked with me but I had been using Wizards and my only two complaints were the depth of it and how I needed a beat one to get the straighter putt flights I wanted. So that's exactly the difference in the judge, it's thinner and less overstable. I just didn't click with the soft plastic so I tried it, loved it, didn't care for the soft plastic and went back to wizards until the classic judge came out.

I had a very similar experience. I finally resigned myself to give up the wizard due to its depth. In colder or wet conditions I could not hold on to it properly and was having many putts come out weak. I auditioned some soft judges but I could not click with them, despite really liking the feel, and went back to the wizards. I finally bought some blend judges and have been loving them for a while now. I will be testing out some prime judges soon and look forward to the results.

One question I have been wondering. What is it about the judge that has caused most of the pro's to drop it from their bags. Almost every trilogy sponsored pro had a judge in their bag initially and almost all have went in different directions. Just wondering why.

One question I have been wondering. What is it about the judge that has caused most of the pro's to drop it from their bags. Almost every trilogy sponsored pro had a judge in their bag initially and almost all have went in different directions. Just wondering why.

Have a lot of pros dropped it? I guess I hadn't heard that. I am pretty sure Feldberg still uses a Judge for his long putts outside the circle. I think he uses the dagger up close.

Played 2 rounds in some moderate wind today and I was really missing my wizards. My judges were getting knocked around quite a bit on putts.

Played 2 rounds in some moderate wind today and I was really missing my wizards. My judges were getting knocked around quite a bit on putts.

I'm pretty sure the fade on a judge is .5, it's not an overstable putter. It's a straight putter with glide.

You should really try a rdg scale if you haven't heard of them yet. More OS than the wizard. Great for hyzer putting or putting into the wind. I'm really liking it.

I'm talking about while putting it being thrown high in a headwind and smacked down in tailwind. Wizard still got knocked around a little but never this bad.

I do have a RFF scale in the bag for winter but I only use it for upshots and short drives. Can't putt RFF.

Can any of the Judges handle headwind off the tee or should I just invest in a Harp? I just like how the Judge feels in the hand and do not want to bag another mold if I do not have to. I throw the Sinus, but I am leaning toward a beaded stable thrower.

Go with the Harp. It's a great compliment to the Judge imo.

If you have to go with a Judge, I've found that fresh Classic Judges tend to be decent wind fighters. Especially if you tune them to be more OS.

Last edited:
Can any of the Judges handle headwind off the tee?

Not really. The Lucid I have is definitely the most stable Judge I've thrown, but throwing it into a headwind is still a delicate proposition.

As time has gone on I've relegated the Judge more and more to purely a putting putter role. It can drive decently, but I think there are better options out there.

Latest posts