• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The most important part of TEE SIGNS

So is there one basket that will be moved between the red, white, and blue pin positions on each hole, or will there be multiple baskets on each hole? Also, have you measured the distance from each tee pad to each pin position, and made different signs for each pad on each hole to reflect the difference?

Also, as a suggestion, you could move the sponsor space to the top or the bottom of the page, rather than along the left side. We didn't develop a polished, professional look, but here's how we did it at Oregon Park (see the attached image).

There is one basket that will be moved to multiple locations. The location will be indicated by a bolt in the tee sign. There are also multi tees. Each tee will have it's own sign. The signs at the red tees will be red, etc. I am just working on the red tees now. There are no posts at the white and blue, as we are still on probation with the city ,it's their first disc course, it's been over a year and they are still happy :).

Many people have brought up measuring the holes. I used gps, which I thought was accurate. But, it was suggested to me that it is not. And, today I found for myself that it really is not. I used one of those wheel things and found that, just as I was warned, gps was off by enough to make a difference.

Many people have brought up measuring the holes. I used gps, which I thought was accurate. But, it was suggested to me that it is not. And, today I found for myself that it really is not. I used one of those wheel things and found that, just as I was warned, gps was off by enough to make a difference.

The only downside I know of with the wheel things is that they are hard to use when obstacles like creek beds or steep elevation changes cross your fairway. In those cases, I'd still go with a reel tape, which you can stretch across the gap, but in almost all cases, your wheel thing is going to be more accurate than GPS, and they're definitely the easiest way to get accurate distances on even ground.

tumblr_me4bisAYp61qiw26m.gif

:thmbup:

ACCURATE BASKET LOCATIONS. Nothing is more annoying than seeing a basket on a blind hole's teesign, throwing in that direction, and finding out the basket is 100 feet away. Also, even if the distance isn't perfect, at least within 20 feet is nice for disc selection purposes.

This is true, I haven't been playing very long but I can't tell you how many times I've been playing with someone that was familiar with the particular course and told me the tee sign didnt show where the basket was accurately.

something more importantly then tee signs in my opinion,.....for the love of god put a location or an arrow or something indicating where the next tee is at or near the basket. There are at least two courses here where I get lost on when I'm playing because the layout is not as intuitive as it should be and there is nothing telling you where the next tee is.....

Heavy duty. Pole set well into the ground and very sturdy sign. Assume that two bags will be hanging on the sign and the pole will take karate kicks often.

Also....

No, jackasses that throw on blind holes without walking down to see if they are clear is much more annoying.

agree.

most important info is
(a) distance
(b) direction to next tee

Tee signs are most useful to people playing the course for the first time, and finding the next tee is often times the most frustrating thing when playing a foreign course with no guide. The basket is often in view, and if it's a blind hole I'm probably going to walk down and make sure it's clear and take a look at the lines rather than trust a sign. Meanwhile the locals know the basket location but might want a reminder of the exact distance. So getting distances on the sign is more important than getting basket locations super accurate IMO.

Make sure that the signs face in a consistent direction with respect to the fairway. I don't like it when the sign is behind the pad but facing the pad, have it either facing the same direction you're shooting or parallel to that, either way keep it the same throughout the course.

I have to say the most important part of tee signs is what hole this tee is for. I can let a lot else go, but if I have no idea where the heck I'm going, it sucks!

Make sure that the signs face in a consistent direction with respect to the fairway. I don't like it when the sign is behind the pad but facing the pad, have it either facing the same direction you're shooting or parallel to that, either way keep it the same throughout the course.

Agreed.

I like to be able to look at the sign and look down the fairway at the same time.

The result of this tread

This is what I came up with, thanks to all of your help. Thanx!

What do you think?

I'm still looking for ideas and criticism. But I'll take a pat on the back too.

(I still can't find the "go advanced" button. Wish I could post a full size pic.)

Attachments

• 0253.jpg
    0253.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 47
Looks good, and I like seeing the relative positions of all three tees and pin positions. I assume:
red tee to red pin =258, white to white = 313, blue to blue = 345?

It would be nice to know distances for red to white, blue to white, etc, (because people will play that way).
Personally, I think this would have worked more effectively on the left side of such a sign:

Attachments

• Distances.png
    Distances.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 9
I like the design. The only comment I have is the colors. They seem very muted. If these signs will be in the sun the colors will fade over time. Starting with a muted palette will just make it harder to see years to come.

The only downside I know of with the wheel things is that they are hard to use when obstacles like creek beds or steep elevation changes cross your fairway. In those cases, I'd still go with a reel tape, which you can stretch across the gap, but in almost all cases, your wheel thing is going to be more accurate than GPS, and they're definitely the easiest way to get accurate distances on even ground.

tumblr_me4bisAYp61qiw26m.gif

:thmbup:

Have you ever tried using a range finder? I'm in the process of developing a possible 9 hole course. I have a range finder, and 100' measuring tape, and the "wheel thingy". I figured the range finder would be my best option, but would you agree/disagree?

Range finder can work great, but you might need a partner to help you with any turning fairways or blind baskets, break the fairway into segments and add up the lengths and it works fine.

Love a good tee sign!

I've looked at this before & often see the basics: Hole number, Par, distance/yardage (to each pin if ness).
Extras: an overhead picture of the hole layout, next tee direction info.
Extra extras: hole sponsor name & info.
Do I give extra credit for nice tee signs in my review? Absolutely! :clap:

Looks good, and I like seeing the relative positions of all three tees and pin positions. I assume:
red tee to red pin =258, white to white = 313, blue to blue = 345?

It would be nice to know distances for red to white, blue to white, etc, (because people will play that way).
Personally, I think this would have worked more effectively on the left side of such a sign:

This tee sign is for the red tee, thus the red ball around the hole number. There will other signs for the white and blue once we get the posts installed.

I like the design. The only comment I have is the colors. They seem very muted. If these signs will be in the sun the colors will fade over time. Starting with a muted palette will just make it harder to see years to come.

The photo of the sign I posted isn't very good. They look a little better in person.

So color ball corresponds with which tee you are on and the color distances are from that tee to the color corresponding basket?

Three tees and tree baskets = 9 potential "courses" assuming you stay with a consistant color combination.

Range finder can work great, but you might need a partner to help you with any turning fairways or blind baskets, break the fairway into segments and add up the lengths and it works fine.

I figured that all I would need to do it drop a survey stake into the middle of the fairway, and measure to it, then take out the stake and measure from there to the basket. A little addition, and boom. That is at least the plan.

I figured that all I would need to do it drop a survey stake into the middle of the fairway, and measure to it, then take out the stake and measure from there to the basket. A little addition, and boom. That is at least the plan.

I've tried using a laser range finder to measure hole distances on a course, but we couldn't get it to work because of the lighting conditions (shady course on a sunny day), and because we couldn't keep the laser steady enough in our hands for it to get a "fix." If you have the right tools, like a survey stake and a tripod, it would probably work.

Another thought: you will find it very frustrating to measure fairways with a 100' reel tape, even if you have a friend. You're going to want one at least 300' long, unless you have a pitch-and-putt course. You would be amazed how long it can take to anchor the tape, run it out to its full length, mark a spot, reel it back in, measure the next section of the fairway, etc. And it's terrible if you have a busy course where players are waiting for you to measure.

Last edited:
This is what I came up with, thanks to all of your help. Thanx!

What do you think?

I'm still looking for ideas and criticism. But I'll take a pat on the back too.

(I still can't find the "go advanced" button. Wish I could post a full size pic.)

What software did you use to draw that?

Latest posts