• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

The pre '06 Rocs are Way different. I Like the 05 spec.s (the forgotten Roc). Pick up the Nate Doss USDGC roc or a Rings Roc (USDGC) they are MUCH different than the Battles, Kenny 4x, 05s etc!

Prepare for your brain to hurt with all of these questions. :D

I would really like to hear more about this quote above. I was looking for an overstable roc that takes forever to beat in to pair with my ching (straight) and san marino big bird (understable) rocs. I've always heard battle and 4x for overstable but I know they are expensive. My thinking (which I assume is wrong) was to get any champion rancho roc (possibly glo or usdgc). I guess Tpro is saying that the nate's or rings (and others USDGCs since 06') won't fill that spot?

Also, to Tyler or any other ching throwers, what is your ching roc set up? Meaning do you just have ones beat more than others or go with lighter weights for more US? Does anyone only carry chings and no other rocs? How do you guys feel about flat vs. domey chings. I had only had super flat ones before but traded for a domey one and have yet to throw it.

Anybody try the flat top ones from Marshall St?

I'll leave you guys with my Chistmas present. 10/10 Winthrop Purple #'d to 150. Bamm!

Anybody try the flat top ones from Marshall St?

(shortened for to save space)

I had well seasoned Marshall St. Flat Top DX earlier this year and it was a great workable Roc. I could cover most mid range drives and long approaches with varying releases and power levels until I clocked a tree right off the tee and had the flight plate pierced. Since then I have stuck with DX Ranchos, as I never clicked with KC Pros and appreciate the added glide from DX plastic. I used Roc3's for a bit, but I was not as consistent with them as DX ones. I have a Z Wasp for OS duties, as it feels very similar in hand to a Roc, but is a tick faster, more OS and stays that way. Definitely a poor man's Champion Roc.

What I've heard Roc flies actually more like a Wasp but people compare it to the Buzzz because the Buzzz is more popular than Wasp.

Hahaha read up on it. Only difference in a roc and roc3 is the roc 3 has a flat top. So flat topped docs are roc 3's.

There isn't a lot of functional difference, my DX FT Rocs start and stay stable a lot longer than my DX Roc3 tho. That prob just comes down to different run and different blend of DX.

Roc3 has a different nose/shoulder and i think a slightly shallower rim . Flies more straight stable (as opposed to overstable) than a standard Rancho roc.

(shortened for to save space)

I had well seasoned Marshall St. Flat Top DX earlier this year and it was a great workable Roc. I could cover most mid range drives and long approaches with varying releases and power levels until I clocked a tree right off the tee and had the flight plate pierced. Since then I have stuck with DX Ranchos, as I never clicked with KC Pros and appreciate the added glide from DX plastic. I used Roc3's for a bit, but I was not as consistent with them as DX ones. I have a Z Wasp for OS duties, as it feels very similar in hand to a Roc, but is a tick faster, more OS and stays that way. Definitely a poor man's Champion Roc.

Thanks for the feedback. I am gonna try a MS FT roc with my next order and a wasp. I think I was turned off to the wasp by my Ti, I think I would like a Z one.

Followup on my recommendation post earlier - I expect to try a KC roc and a DX in 176+.

All else held equal, what is more desirable and why - flatter vs domier, and low PLH vs high PLH?

Thanks for the feedback. I am gonna try a MS FT roc with my next order and a wasp. I think I was turned off to the wasp by my Ti, I think I would like a Z one.

:thmbup: Z Wasps are pretty awesome, it'll pair great with your FT Roc. Nearly identical feels and you'll be able to cover a lot of shots

How does a Roc3 three fly compared to a new DX / KC Roc?

Roc3 has a different nose/shoulder and i think a slightly shallower rim . Flies more straight stable (as opposed to overstable) than a standard Rancho roc.

Pretty much. Fresh DX and KC Pro's have solid fade when fresh and throw hard, whereas a Roc3 will have less fade at the same power.

I recently picked up a DX Flat Top Roc. I just started really getting into Roc's when the Roc3 came out. Does anyone know how the Flat Top Roc will compare to the Roc3?

^Despite what a lot of the guys are saying in this thread, they are pretty much the same. I was a Flat-Top Roc thrower until the Roc3 came out, now I throw both interchangeably and notice no difference at all.

I carry 5 ROCS in my bag 4 DX all different stages of wear my most beat in I use for BH rollers I carry a brand new kc for nice long hyzer lines and what not the ROC is my go to disc if I don't know what to throw I have a ROC for that easily the best disc ever made

Could someone tell me about the san marino rocs? I have all rancho rocs and i know how they fly, I also know that the ontarios are more flippy than ranchos.
How do the san marinos fly? Im getting one in a trade.

Could someone tell me about the san marino rocs? I have all rancho rocs and i know how they fly, I also know that the ontarios are more flippy than ranchos.
How do the san marinos fly? Im getting one in a trade.

From the first page of this thread

Rocs seem confusing, but it's not really all that bad to understand.

The first Roc came out about '87. It was a small diameter 21.2 cm diameter disc based off the XD. In '89 that disc was replaced with the first version of what we consider a Roc today-the 21.7 cm diameter San Marino Roc. This disc quickly became the most popular disc on the market. At the time the Stingray was about as long a disc as you could get, so the Roc was used by many players for almost every shot.

In '94 or '95, something happened to the Roc mold and the disc was replaced with a new version. Innova's mailing address had changed, so the tooling on the new disc said "Ontario." Thus the old disc became the "San Marino" or "Sanny" Roc and the new disc was called the "Ontario" Roc. The Ontario Roc has a higher dome and flips easier than the San Marino's. Because of this they were not very popular and they were replaced in 1997 by the current "Rancho" Roc, so named because Innova moved from Ontario to Rancho Cucamonga and the tooling once again changed. The Rancho Roc is the most overstable Roc yet, and has been hugely popular.

So, there are really only three molds: San Marino, Ontario and Rancho. If you go to the store and buy a DX Roc or a KC Pro Roc, it is a Rancho mold. From most overstable to least overstable they go Rancho-San Marino-Ontario.

When San Marino's and Ontario's were in production, there was only DX plastic. All plastic variations of the Roc such as KC Pro Rocs, Super Rocs and USDGC Roc are Ranchos. The exception are a few collectors USDGC Rocs that have been run in the Ontario and San Marino molds the last two years, but if you don't understand Rocs and you are paying collector USDGC Roc money for a disc...well, you need more help than a post on a message board can give you.

Last year the DX Ontario mold was brought back as a CFR disc. This year they have re-created the DX San Marino Roc in the CFR program and added an Ontario Roc in Star to the CFR program. So you can find some new San Marino's and Ontario's now with tournament stamps. Any Roc you find with he standard factory stamp is still a Rancho. You can still tell the difference by flipping them over and reading the tooling on the underside.

The original 21.2 cm diameter disc came back in '95 as the "Classic Roc." It has the "Roc" name, but it should be considered a completely different unrelated disc to the other Roc's. It is nothing like a Roc.

That's about it. Actually, it is not...but basically that is it.

Edit: This thread came back from the dead, and the saga of the Roc continues. In 2009 they put the recreated San Marino mold into regular production in Star plastic. In 2010 they introduced the Roc+ mold, which features a slanted inner rim. The original PR for it made the Roc+ seem like a disc they were going to sell in Champ and Star, but other than some fundraiser Star's the only plastic I've seen it in is R-Pro.

Edit of the Edit: OK, so... They now have a Star Rancho Roc in Star along with the recreated Star San Marino Roc AND they have a Roc3 mold which they are selling in Champion. So now there are 5 Rocs: Rancho, Roc3, San Marino, Roc+ and Ontario. :\ My original assertion that Rocs were not all that confusing can be freely ignored. :(