• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The next level

thugjitsu

Double Eagle Member
In pretty happy with my distance but I know I can get more. I'll get these awesome drives with what seems to be minimal effort. Yet when I try to push past that, that's when the mistakes arise. What in trying to get at is should I practice on the field and focus completely on form then worry about my line or should I practice on a open long hole to work on form and hitting the right lines at the same time? I can throw my pd's 400 and destroyers I've hit 500 on occasion. When I say occasion I mean like it suprises me.

On another note I was thinking of hitting the course with an aviar, roc, and eagle/ teebird to complement my field practice. I know these distances are great but I'm competitive and love the game and want to see how far I can get competition wise.

Pretty much things click every so often but wondering the best way to practice so they click all the time.

You're throwing far enough. You need to focus on another aspect of your game.

Agreed. If you can throw 400+ accurately your competitive with the big boys. Those guys throwing 500+ are usually doing it on huge anhyzer lines and would never do it in a tournament.

I never said accurately, if that was the case I'd be where I'd want. The question is how should I practice to continue to gain distance and accuracy. Open field or open hole or a bit of both? Constant putting practice and playing pitch and putt courses for the rest of my game is under way.

You're throwing far enough. You need to focus on another aspect of your game.

:wall::doh::wall:

Agreed. If you can throw 400+ accurately your competitive with the big boys. Those guys throwing 500+ are usually doing it on huge anhyzer lines and would never do it in a tournament.

:wall::doh:

I never said accurately, if that was the case I'd be where I'd want. The question is how should I practice to continue to gain distance and accuracy. Open field or open hole or a bit of both? Constant putting practice and playing pitch and putt courses for the rest of my game is under way.

Field work is the way to go.

I have 2 fields nearby. One is wide open and I just practice bombing it. The other is pretty big, but there are a good number of trees. I like to try and visit both each time I'm doing field practice. Its much easier to have a line to hit than to imagine one in the open field.

In my experience its all visualization and props in the open field. I leave my bag at the spot I want to hit. Put a prop (like your towel or another disc) between you and your bag, to the left or right... now you have something to bend around. Have to be hard on yourself though.

So I did sime work and hit anywhere from 410 to 450 consistently, but with every disc of different speeds, I still don't understand what it takes to hit 500 at will like some of the people I know. Is it just rapidly increasing arm speed and greeting more hip into it while keeping the form clean? Should I get my right foot turned more to allow for hip rotation? When I plant my right foot should my heel be facing my target area?

Ever consider hitting the gym. In the last year I've been going religiously and cleaning up my diet. I've gained about 25lbs of muscle and cut my BF. I haven't measured my max distance, but I can definately tell you its become much easier to throw long drives. Ive also found my accuracy has increased as I can throw with less effort and greater control over my core. I can confidently say that a 500' drive wouldn't be too difficult.

Yea I know I have the potential to blast them, I don't think muscle will do too much but it will help, I never needed muscle to be a beast at tennis as its all technique and disc golf is very similar in that aspect. I'm thinking of taking to lessons again but I feel like I should be able to do this on my own.

Mabye I'm expecting too much too soon? I've barely been playing for a year. You think I need to be a little more patient and just keep practicing? I just know in my gut I have the potential to be pretty great and I know it doesn't happen overnight. Mabye I've improved so much over so little time that now the improvements will come much slower?

Yea I know I have the potential to blast them, I don't think muscle will do too much but it will help, I never needed muscle to be a beast at tennis as its all technique and disc golf is very similar in that aspect. I'm thinking of taking to lessons again but I feel like I should be able to do this on my own.

Mabye I'm expecting too much too soon? I've barely been playing for a year. You think I need to be a little more patient and just keep practicing? I just know in my gut I have the potential to be pretty great and I know it doesn't happen overnight. Mabye I've improved so much over so little time that now the improvements will come much slower?

If you only have a year or so under your belt then just be patient, practice, and trust that it will come. When I started out, I picked it up pretty quickly also. I played my first tournament 2 months after starting and won Intermediate by a big margin. I was also out throwing most of the advanced field in distance. So, naturally I figured I would keep progressing at that pace. It didn't happen. The pace at which you learn and grow will slow down considerably, but don't let it deter you. Surround yourself with talent and try to learn from them.
It took me a couple months for me to move from MA2 to MA1, and 2-3 years of playing advanced to jump to pro. In terms of drive distance; I pretty much started out throwing 400' or so. It took me about 6 months to hit 450', and probably a year and a half or more to hit the 500' mark.
You speak of taking lessons, but I have found that once you are throwing 450' drives, there are very few people that can really help you get beyond that. A lot of what carries you farther is just watching video of the top guys, and learning through trial and error. And trust me, technique will get you a long way. Adding some muscle to your frame will get you even further. Hope that helps, man.

Question for you: What kind of lines are you trying to reach this distance? Are you trying raw distance lines (super high hyzer flips), or are you trying to achieve this with low golf shot?

I want some of what you're on. That's an absurdly high number, even considering newb gains.

Prior to disc golf I was a gym rat. Once I started playing I dropped a ton of weight. I think that had a lot to do with the quick gains. However, I am on roughly a 4-5K Cal diet, and taking about 300g of protein/day. Plus, I have a big frame (6'5")

Question for you: What kind of lines are you trying to reach this distance? Are you trying raw distance lines (super high hyzer flips), or are you trying to achieve this with low golf shot?

I want a mix of both, but mainly raw distance but still with control, there's two holes on are course that I want to be able to eagle and the require big s shots or a big anhyzer flex. My problem is when I try to get the right height I guess I don't have enough speed because my disc stall out before I feel it should.

Also what about my grip? Do I put more pressure on my index the harder I want to throw? Right now the pressure is on the joint of the index should it just be on the pad of the index finger to get more power instead of hooking my index under the rim? I think I'm using the power stack/ fork grip should I try the true power grip?

I want a mix of both, but mainly raw distance but still with control, there's two holes on are course that I want to be able to eagle and the require big s shots or a big anhyzer flex. My problem is when I try to get the right height I guess I don't have enough speed because my disc stall out before I feel it should.

Also what about my grip? Do I put more pressure on my index the harder I want to throw? Right now the pressure is on the joint of the index should it just be on the pad of the index finger to get more power instead of hooking my index under the rim? I think I'm using the power stack/ fork grip should I try the true power grip?

If your disc is stalling, the nose isn't coming down far enough. Try throwing something less stable. Also, learning the line was really tough for me. Try hitting the kind of line you are looking for with something really flippy, but thrown with less power. You will have to experiment a bit to find it. Once you see how a true distance line is supposed to look, you should have an easier time finding it when you start throwing 100%.

As far as your grip goes, that is a personal thing. I use a fork grip, but I think I am the minority with that. Most distance throwers use a power grip. My pressure point is mostly on the joint of my index finger as well.

If you can get a good video of your technique and the flight of your distance lines, I can probably help a bit more.

trust me, advice from dstearns should be taken seriously. I've played with him once in a big group of guys, he is a really good player with incredible technique. :thmbup:

trust me, advice from dstearns should be taken seriously. I've played with him once in a big group of guys, he is a really good player with incredible technique. :thmbup:

Thanks, man.

We played together? Forgive me, but who are you and where did we play? Hope that's not coming off as rude.