• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Nuke

DJ Sticky Feet

Birdie Member
Ok so I searched but couldn't find a general thread about the nuke. (If there is please redirect me). But what plastics/ weights do you guys like? What do you use it for? Not a fan? Tell me why. Personally, i love my 166 Z nuke as my go to driver. Very controllable.

I loved the nuke for a long time and still do for max d but basically once I started hitting 450' power you have to put them up pretty high and they have a lot of turn. Which does make them go far! To this day my esp and x nukes always get me the most distance. That being said I moved to esp forces for golfing and man what an amazing disc! If you got the arm for it let just say there is a reason all the discraft pros use it for their go to driver. It fights the wind, turns but always comes back when broke in, and has a bunch of glide!

But back on point the nuke and force are my 2 favorite drivers. I was never much of a fan of the z plastic but that's just me. I love a big hyzer flip flex shot with an esp or x nuke. Just simply amazing how far that disc goes. I'm still suprised one of the discraft guys hasn't tried to break the world record with it.

I also love the force. I have a fairly fresh pro d force that i use in the wind. My nuke is my raw distance driver as i'm hitting 360 consistently, so the force is a bit too much disc at this point. But i've been playing for 3 months so what should i expect.

There isn't really one big Nuke thread, but if you look through the threads in this search, you should be able to find what you're looking for:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nuk...e:dgcoursereview.com/forums/&safe=off&start=0

Also, if you're only throwing it 360, I think you may want to consider putting the Nuke away for a while until you get some more power. Nukes won't really fly correctly until you start getting them out to ~420. Once you get there, though, you'll love them.

My lightweight nuke is becoming my main headwind driver, as my force gets less stable. I use my flash/stalker for tailwinds.

My lightweight nuke is becoming my main headwind driver, as my force gets less stable. I use my flash/stalker for tailwinds.

This only reinforces my point. A lightweight Nuke should not be a headwind driver. If anything, it should be a tailwind driver. This tells me that you aren't getting the Nuke up to speed, so it's behaving like an understable disc.

I would again suggest that you put the Nuke away for a while until you develop some more power. Once you start getting some more distance, you'll understand why I'm saying this.

Then again, that's just my opinion. I don't want to come off as a jerk by chastizing you for your personal preferences. If the Nuke is working for you, it's really up to you to decide whether or not you want to take it out of your bag.

Thanks for the advice. I will start using my stalker/flash for my distance drives. I can throw the stalker about as far as my force with more control. I also found a Valkyrie at BRP that I consistently get out to 375. Is this about how far valks should be thrown?

It depends on the Nuke. I've had some that are super stable that I could power forehand and not flip while some of mine I can backhand on a HUGE hyzer, and it will flip to anny, sometimes even to a roller.

I have found that the dome REALLY makes a difference. if it is domey it is flippy, if it is flat it will be stable... but there are always exceptions.

Ok so I searched but couldn't find a general thread about the nuke. (If there is please redirect me). But what plastics/ weights do you guys like? What do you use it for? Not a fan? Tell me why. Personally, i love my 166 Z nuke as my go to driver. Very controllable.

You know what to do. Keep throwing it.

Before I put my Terns in the bag I had a Z and a ESP Nuke both in the 167-169 range. They were both great Distance Drivers. You know going in you would think these would be hard to throw far,but I could always get mine to between 415ft to 425ft or further sometimes.

Sometimes I wish I still had mine just to throw around somedays.

Ok. I'll hold off till i have more arm strength. How far should i be able to throw my stalkers before i bring out the nuke?

Ok. I'll hold off till i have more arm strength. How far should i be able to throw my stalkers before i bring out the nuke?

I think if you can get your Stalker between 340 to 350ft on average then you could maybe try something two speeds higher and get it out to 380 to 390ft on average. I guess I should say 3 speeds higher. I'm using my Saint as an Example and the glide of a Saint pretty much makes it a speed 10 disc for me in distance.

That's how I range all my discs. My Terns are anywhere between 405 to 415ft average in the cold and when it's warmer it's about 10 to 15ft farther.

Ok thanks. Stalker are consistently 315 right now, and they're speed 7/8. I have a flash as well that i can work on getting to 380-390

Ok thanks. Stalker are consistently 315 right now, and they're speed 7/8. I have a flash as well that i can work on getting to 380-390

Cool man. :thmbup:

My main reasoning behind this is once you can get these discs out to those distances then you can judge the hole a lot differently.

Lets say you have a 360ft hole,but looks like it has elevation,but not much. You could either throw your Saint and risk it being maybe 15 to 20ft too far or playing it safe and using an XL and being 15ft to 20ft short.

That's why my bag is set-up like it is.

It's good to have options. :thmbup:

I only carry a 150-155g ESP Nuke. I didn't find them consistent enough to justify having max weights to trick myself into thinking it was a go to. Just a calm to tailwind driver.

Love my esp Nuke, seen in my avatar. I mainly use it for overhand or forehand shots. Nearly hit an ace with it today via tomahawk on a 185' hole that needs some tricky navigation to avoid a large overhanging branch. It is fairly beat in now, so while I can hit the s-curve RHBH, I'm just not at the proper distance yet to use its full potential.

That's a good plan. I didn't really find that my Nukes were anything special until I started getting my Avengers out to 400'. At that point, something clicked and my Nukes were flying much differently. Instead of going straight and fading, they were flipping and riding just like they were supposed to. If you stick with the Stalker, Valk, and Flash, eventually, when you try a Nuke again, you'll be shocked at the difference.

OP: I agree with the idea that a nuke won't fly the way it is intended to fly until you can rip on it 400'+ but at the same time I never didn't use a nuke. I also never disced down, and I'm a 450'+ thrower (depending on wind)...

So yes when an esp nuke is ripped it will flip and turn a great deal and then come back for you... but at the same time you don't have to stop using it. Just know it won't go any further then your slower discs. So if it works great in head winds... USE IT! If it doesn't turn but goes straight... then awesome... that's the point of disc golf, getting discs to go straight to where you want them to go. I have had my rear end handed to me from guys throwing nukes, bosses, and other crazy discs only 300' but then place them at the basket, they know how to manipulate them, and they win!

The point of discing down is to get used to how a disc "should react" which again, is relative to what "should" means. Because for me, I need a beefy cake force to hyzer in a headwind... you might need a nuke. Either way, the point is the shot and making it to the basket... So yes learn, but enjoy the game! use what discs you like!

This only reinforces my point. A lightweight Nuke should not be a headwind driver. If anything, it should be a tailwind driver. This tells me that you aren't getting the Nuke up to speed, so it's behaving like an understable disc.

Yeah, I don't agree with this.

Anyway, I love X Nukes. Way less stable than Z. Like a totally different mold. Would really love a lower speed one. Was hoping for this when the Crank came out.

Yeah, I don't agree with this.

Well, I meant to say overstable instead of understable, but everything else there holds true. Heavier Z Nukes can handle some headwind, but light Z Nukes shouldn't be a headwind driver. They just aren't that overstable. If he isn't throwing them as fast as they should be thrown, though, then it will behave like an overstable disc.

In my opinion (and personal experience), it's better to use a true overstable disc for headwinds than a disc that's only overstable because of it's speed. The true overstable disc will always be more consistent.

Latest posts