• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official 'Ask Paul McBeth' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you talk about an Innova sponsorship a bit? How often do they send you discs? Perks, freebies, etc

I can answer those questions
We get discs normally when we need them. We give our team manager a call and let him know what we need.
We get performance bonuses depending on the teir of event and placing.
Freebies are things like hats shirts calenders minis ect.

Thanks for doing this thread!

I am way up in Northern Alberta- Grande Prairie is the name of my town. We do have an airport with many commercial flights coming into town everyday, but are fairly isolated. We just got our first course in this fall, and I have big dreams: we have people looking for things to do in a smallish city, huge money in town, excited civic leaders who want to innovate and create a world-class city, schools teaching disc golf, and available land with huge potential. I have high hopes that we can become a huge disc golf town (maybe even the best in Canada).

One of my long term (5-10 years) dreams is to someday host an A-tier and attract some of the top names in the sport. Assuming we had quality courses in the ground, what would we need to do to get pros like you to consider coming up?

I am assuming one thing we would need is some serious added cash. If so, how big a purse would it take for you to even think about coming up to Northern Canada?
Thats awesome to hear!
If you are planning on building a huge event in 5-10 years I would offer get the town to fly a player or players out to the event. That will get the word of mouth going and soon attract more players and it allows you time to build the purse. An A tier event typically is around $1500 for 1st then fades down but I wouldn't put a limit on your tournament. I would also contact the PDGA maybe they can help you out down the road in building a Canadian Championship

If you could have a mold made in a plastic which is not currently in production (like the elusive Glow Champion Rhynos), what would it be?

My dad has played for 25+ years every sunday is his disc golf day. I grew up around the sport but never played because of baseball. My first discs were a 3 pack from Big 5 for christmas a orange dx cheetah, white shark and blue aviar. I started playing around 14

Baseball? Nice. I am a high school baseball player soon to be college baseball player and forehand came natural to me. (i'm a three-quarters slot pitcher so not much difference mechanics wise) I've had great success forehand but my backhand is very limited. Is there anything you can compare backhand to baseball mechanics? Also I am looking to step up to the next level of disc golf. I am 17 and have success in the intermediate division but at what age did you turn the corner and become a great disc golfer? How did you get there? How did you get your first sponsor?

Thanks for coming on here.

Last edited:
Baseball? Nice. I am a high school baseball player soon to be college baseball player and forehand came natural to me. (i'm a three-quarters slot pitcher so not much difference mechanics wise) I've had great success forehand but my backhand is very limited. Is there anything you can compare backhand to baseball mechanics? Also I am looking to step up to the next level of disc golf. I am 17 and have success in the intermediate division but at what age did you turn the corner and become a great disc golfer? How did you get there? How did you get your first sponsor?

Thanks for coming on here.
If you are right handed in the box I would compare it to a lefty swing. You know how a coach tells you not to drop your hands... Well the pull through is that motion. Also for putting picture playing 2nd and feeding your shortstop a double play ball. You want to lead him across the bag, same with putting putt your putter to the right and let it fall left into the basket.

I moved to open after my 17th birthday, I played a full summer about 8 hours a day and just got better and better.
My first sponsor was innova and coming from Socal I was lucky enough to meet the owner and he saw potential and sponsored me

How often do you help with Innova clinics? Do you have one thing you focus on/teach or does it vary?

How is a flat top KC Roc different from a Roc3 besides plastic? I honestly don't know.. My flat KC Roc isn't a plus. I realize these aren't in regular production, but they're available. Excuse my ignorance. Thanks

Its a new mold, thinner and a bit faster also out of the box a bit straighter. Roc3 isn't a + mold

How often do you help with Innova clinics? Do you have one thing you focus on/teach or does it vary?

I did one not to long ago, I focused on proper grip and pulling through to create speed and snap on a sidearm. Putting was also a focus point. I'm new to teaching so questions are always a help to me.

Obviously being a world champ and playing consistant keeps you on top but what do you feel is the biggest hole in your game that would possibly help you create a gap or push other players to your next level? How good do you think guys could be in lets say 3 years, multiple guys 1050+?

Obviously being a world champ and playing consistant keeps you on top but what do you feel is the biggest hole in your game that would possibly help you create a gap or push other players to your next level? How good do you think guys could be in lets say 3 years, multiple guys 1050+?
I think the difference in courses will prevent that. In Golf all courses have fairways and greens which allows golfers to have a consistant area to hit and land. Disc Golf doesnt have that consistent level yet. So ratings will range up and down for a bit

I would say putting has everyone at the top at the moment... No one in the top 10 drives amazing and cant putt. We are all soild

I did one not to long ago, I focused on proper grip and pulling through to create speed and snap on a sidearm. Putting was also a focus point. I'm new to teaching so questions are always a help to me.

How many fingers do you use on your backhand?

Also in your sidearm, when you putt do you put your index
Finger under The disc or in the ridge on the putter!

Let me know thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.