• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Perfect Solution!

Always thought this any time I pass a cemetary. Set aside the religious hangups and it is a great ideas. Some prime land is wasted with acres of rotting bodies. I mean...really, who is going to object and why?

I would buy a plot so my soul could play disc golf into eternity, but in reality that just means my wife would be preventing me from playing DG into eternity...

So many courses are forced to build on marginalized land either because park areas are too small, or the park officials don't want flying discs knocking picnickers unconscious. So, how do we solve this problem? Simple! We put courses on the only large swaths of well-manicured lawn left to us - cemeteries! Now, hear me out before you judge. Except on special holidays, cemeteries aren't usually crowded (at least not by above-ground folk). They're well-kept, usually have trees, and there's all kinds of interesting obstacles. Hell, some newer cemeteries even require flat-to-the-ground headstones that can be easily mowed over. So, why can't the land do double-duty?

What better tribute to our dead than a sky full of brightly colored plastic flying hither and yon?

Can't find a cemetery willing to go with this idea? (Philistines.) Fine, then we start our OWN cemetery/disc golf course! What hard core chaser of plastic wouldn't want to be buried there? Hell, we'll even stick your sorry corpse under a tee slab for a generous donation and put a plaque on it commemorating you. Spend eternity on a disc golf course? Oh, hell yeah.

I'm with you on this.

I've been bemoaning (pun intended?) for years the sad fate (!) of prime real estate that's been cursed (!!?) to languish as frisbee-free burial grounds.

Let's bury some poles and raise baskets throughout these cemeteries!

Prime candidates (existing dg courses already adjacent or nearby to existing cemetaries):
Wabash City (Wabash, IN)
Lake Land College (Mattoon, IL)
Deming Park (Terre Haute, IN)

I may or may not be serious.

I'll let how little of a sense of humor you have decide which it is...:|

Man... know one else playing... seems pretty dead here... :| ok bad joke, but I'll continue.

It's a good idea I think. I know the history of grave yards and such so I do know they used to be welcoming areas where people picnicked and played, etc. Can anyone else imagine night disc golf at a course like this? People walking or driving buy would go NUTS and probably call the cops.

mzPD3V6y_C_OSD68I-9fB2Q.jpg

while I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, post #2 pretty well sums up why this should never ever happen with regards to an existing cemetery.

That said, I really like the idea of a dedicated DG course that one could buy a plot in, though I imagine there may be zoning restrictions or something to prevent the combination. Keep the burial sections off the fairways and you could pretty easily prevent most damage potential. If I were interested in being buried (the tree coffin is pretty sweet), I would certainly rather get planted on a DG course than in an empty field of sadness.

Coming soon to a cemetery near you...New and improved landscaping...now includes cigarette butts, water bottles, and beer cans and free tombstone art upgrades:

"Man I aced the Roy J. Butler (1917-1996) basket from the Anne Marie Simpson (1936-2012) long tee pad today and sharpied that tombstone!"

Coming soon to a cemetery near you...New and improved landscaping...now includes cigarette butts, water bottles, and beer cans and free tombstone art upgrades:

"Man I aced the Roy J. Butler (1917-1996) basket from the Anne Marie Simpson (1936-2012) long tee pad today and sharpied that tombstone!"

Ha! You forgot the broken glass

Just wait until some A-hole is having his funeral in the middle of the fairway.

How would you play this hole?!?

Need-for-Speed-Myrtle-Hill-funeral-screenshot-1600x661.jpg

(Image taken from a film so as not to hurt feelings)

I think many here have already decided. They would start a thread on DGCR expressing their outrage at the audacity of these folks, to make use of their disc golf course for any other activity. :|

I think the thought of graveyards as places to be avoided is something kinda specific to the US, and related to our worship of youth and vitality here, and aversion to death.

In other cultures, death is seen as a celebration of someone's life. When I was in Mexico City on Dia de Los Muertos, we toured a graveyard to show the decorations and stuff ppl do. Almost every grave was decorated with elaborate arrays of flowers. Its a party, people are drinking and playing music, and they even set up a big trampoline right in front of a mausoleum that kids were jumping on. When i saw the trampoline, my first thought was "wow, thats disrespectful" but then I realized that it was the opposite. They actually take several days to honor and remember their dead EVERY YEAR, and its a celebration. We go to a somber funeral & visitation one day, and then... probably never visit gravesite again. It could be argued that they have a more healthy attitude towards death in Mexico than here.

So, those who discount this as a joke, or the worst thing ever, should realize that you are coming from a very narrow US centric set of cultural norms, not shared elsewhere, and based on weird traditions here.

THe challenge i see is that people who have relatives buried in an existing cemetary might object to this new flying discs idea (even though they have no intention of visiting the site themselves). Since disc golf being played in the cemetary wasn't part of the deal when they paid to have their peeps buried there, they might have some grounds for complaint, and as we know with neighbors of DG courses, it only takes one vocal NIMBY to wreck everything. Thus the likelihood of this getting approval in any active cemetary is slim to none, bc there will be at least one person that is SUPER against it.

What would be easier IMO is to build a new course, and offer eternal sponsorships to be buried on the course, so anyone buried there knows the deal up front. Some would probably pay extra for that vs a normal cemetary, especially if they knew part of their funeral costs went to course improvements. Another option, is just to let people bury ashes in the ground and plant a tree there with a plaque for that person, or just scatter ashes on a favorite course and pay for a "in memory of" sponsorship at a tee sign, bench or basket (or a sponsored water hazard, if you are so inclined)

It would be non-denominational, and even faith-optional.

Well, if the pic is taken from the tee, I dont really see an issue with throwing over the group, so long as you give them a friendly wave

That's some tasty elevation there, dude...:spicolismiley:

I think the thought of graveyards as places to be avoided is something kinda specific to the US, and related to our worship of youth and vitality here, and aversion to death.

In other cultures, death is seen as a celebration of someone's life. When I was in Mexico City on Dia de Los Muertos, we toured a graveyard to show the decorations and stuff ppl do. Almost every grave was decorated with elaborate arrays of flowers. Its a party, people are drinking and playing music, and they even set up a big trampoline right in front of a mausoleum that kids were jumping on. When i saw the trampoline, my first thought was "wow, thats disrespectful" but then I realized that it was the opposite. They actually take several days to honor and remember their dead EVERY YEAR, and its a celebration. We go to a somber funeral & visitation one day, and then... probably never visit gravesite again. It could be argued that they have a more healthy attitude towards death in Mexico than here.

So, those who discount this as a joke, or the worst thing ever, should realize that you are coming from a very narrow US centric set of cultural norms, not shared elsewhere, and based on weird traditions here.

THe challenge i see is that people who have relatives buried in an existing cemetary might object to this new flying discs idea (even though they have no intention of visiting the site themselves). Since disc golf being played in the cemetary wasn't part of the deal when they paid to have their peeps buried there, they might have some grounds for complaint, and as we know with neighbors of DG courses, it only takes one vocal NIMBY to wreck everything. Thus the likelihood of this getting approval in any active cemetary is slim to none, bc there will be at least one person that is SUPER against it.

What would be easier IMO is to build a new course, and offer eternal sponsorships to be buried on the course, so anyone buried there knows the deal up front. Some would probably pay extra for that vs a normal cemetary, especially if they knew part of their funeral costs went to course improvements. Another option, is just to let people bury ashes in the ground and plant a tree there with a plaque for that person, or just scatter ashes on a favorite course and pay for a "in memory of" sponsorship at a tee sign, bench or basket (or a sponsored water hazard, if you are so inclined)

It would be non-denominational, and even faith-optional.

Awesome comments, thanks. I have some pretty non-traditional thoughts on burial. It's what my parents wanted, what they were used to when their loved ones died, and cremation seemed wrong to them somehow. To me, the entire subject is hyper-morbid. The way we prepare the bodies, box them up and put them away like dolls, it's like we're trying to convince ourselves they're either just temporarily sleeping, or like, one day, we'll retrieve them from where we put them and all will be as it was. We delay decomposition with chemicals and prevent a return to the soil with sturdy caskets and, in some cases, concrete vaults. It may just be me, but it seems to me a somewhat unhealthy approach to death, psychologically. I can understand handling remains in a manner we feel honors the deceased, but packing them away like this can create, I think understandably, feelings of unease on the whole subject. When my 18 year old sister died when I was 16, I couldn't eat for a long time for imagining her body decomposing slowly in a hermetically sealed box, and I can't say it soothes me to think on the contents of the coffins of various loved ones - quite the opposite. Natural decomposition is a natural and, really, a blessedly quick process, and, looked at properly, can be seen as a return to the Source. Cremation is a violent acceleration of the process, though I'd find it preferable to burial. The idea of a Memorial Park, with markers to remind us of those we lost I understand, but sticking their corpses in a box underneath, or behind the wall...not so much. Is it wrong to feel a sense of unease when entering a cemetery or mausoleum? It may not be so much an unhealthy attitude towards our mortality as a reaction to what I see as the very unhealthy manner we handle the dead. And, on the note of memorial parks, actual parks are rapidly becoming this as nearly every bench, playground, etc. now has a brass plaque for the deceased in whose name the feature was donated.

Latest posts