• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Preserve Championship 2023

"Chump intermediate wanna-be just threw his brand new Heimburg signature line star 175g destroyer into the first available, at which point it redirected into the O/B gator-infested marsh. Throwing 3 from the drop zone with a mixture of anger, disbelief, and sadness in his eyes"

I resemble that remark!!!

To be honest I do not throw any signature discs, special runs or "fancy" discs of any kind. I only by stock versions of discs and haven't bought any whatsoever in maybe a year.

I don't know why I want to know what disc Heimburg or Buhr or Lizotte is throwing, but I do. :D

i just saw some horrible slowmo of rebecca cox. she hasnt really changed anything on her bh form from being injured? baffling it will be a short career with that brutal pulling motion.

I don't watch DGN anymore but, were I too, being provided more pertinent information, such as the disc a competitor is throwing, about the competiton that is occurring instead of less would constitute, for me, value and an improved viewing experience.

The issue of endemic sponsorship within a sport where the coverage is provided by the presenting organization with support by the manufacturers means everything is primarily advertising and seen as such.

Viewers, disc golfers, say things to each other like, "Did you see Ricky throw that orbit felon on Hole 9 in the last round? There's no way in hell I could throw that disc 100 feet."

Which means I ain't buying it, but I appreciate knowing what it was.

I'm sure it amounts to something trivial like if coverage is from say Discraft's Ledgestone Open, with Discraft as the presenting sponsor they probably want their discs pushed and not other manufacturers on coverage. One of the reasons at least one of the 1st round feature card is sponsor choice (and usually last years champ, and a media choice, and sometimes either another sponsor choice or TD choice) Not always the case, but seems to be pretty standard. No evidence to support that a presenting sponsor doesn't want their competitors discs promoted on commentary, but it probably is something along those lines. From a viewing experience, I'm good with them just saying putter, midrange, fairway, or driver and don't really care about manufacturer, mold, run, etc. It's pretty easy to figure out what the disc is based on the sponsor on the player's back, and usually multiple views of the discs stamp if you care to pay close enough attention. Now if a player does something crazy, like aces, or throws a 700 ft roller, or something worth highlighting, I don't mind talking up the disc they used as part of color commentary because the stage has been set and most viewers would be receptive of information like that.

I'm sure it amounts to something trivial like if coverage is from say Discraft's Ledgestone Open, with Discraft as the presenting sponsor they probably want their discs pushed and not other manufacturers on coverage. One of the reasons at least one of the 1st round feature card is sponsor choice (and usually last years champ, and a media choice, and sometimes either another sponsor choice or TD choice) Not always the case, but seems to be pretty standard. No evidence to support that a presenting sponsor doesn't want their competitors discs promoted on commentary, but it probably is something along those lines. From a viewing experience, I'm good with them just saying putter, midrange, fairway, or driver and don't really care about manufacturer, mold, run, etc. It's pretty easy to figure out what the disc is based on the sponsor on the player's back, and usually multiple views of the discs stamp if you care to pay close enough attention. Now if a player does something crazy, like aces, or throws a 700 ft roller, or something worth highlighting, I don't mind talking up the disc they used as part of color commentary because the stage has been set and most viewers would be receptive of information like that.

I'm of the belief that stating what disc is being thrown is not the same as promotion even though, hypocritically, I accept that manufacturers and marketers think everything is marketing.

Two different acts of speaking here:

1. "Ricky throwing an orbit Felon here on Hole 9."

2. "Wow, Ricky really used the overstability of his orbit Felon just then to really make the most of that hole shape."

The first is a factual statement. The second is the "talking up the disc" you mention. I can see more of an issue from manufacturer sponsors with the second. Having an issue with the first is an insult to the audience.

I'd like knowing which manufacturers are the big babies about this so I can chuck their discs in what the British call "the bin."

The issue with knowing what discs are thrown on camera, will ultimately fall on the sponsor and player, to throw and promote easily recognizable discs.

Especially with competing manufacturers sponsoring tournaments.

That way, a commenter can just say that Calvin threw his OS Approach Putter and people can understand what that means (most likely Toro).

Innova would then do well to release a video leading up to said tournament, that shows a Calvin ITB.

Then the viewer knows that his yellow OS Putter is a Toro and his orange is a Rhyno.

I think showing in text what the player is throwing is the best way to do this. It would require a person somewhere to type the info in based on what they see the player to be throwing. I have seen this in some coverages, but I can't remember who does it. If announcers are announcing every disc for all players it just seems forced, but I'm not sure.

Yes, it definitley falls on the sponsor/manufacturer to supply the disc info to the media.

I think showing in text what the player is throwing is the best way to do this. It would require a person somewhere to type the info in based on what they see the player to be throwing. I have seen this in some coverages, but I can't remember who does it. If announcers are announcing every disc for all players it just seems forced, but I'm not sure.

Yes, it definitley falls on the sponsor/manufacturer to supply the disc info to the media.

I can't remember either which post production coverage team does it, but they do a quick text based screen "in the bag" for each player as part of player introductions. Quick, to the point, and lets those who are curious see what they are throwing. Probably not practical for multiple cards on live coverage, but could be done for the feature/lead cards.

The majority of people just watch on Jomez where they show you what disc is being thrown off the tee. Once you've watched a few holes you can usually ID each disc visually. Although that may not be possible for 480p DGN coverage.

I have developed a rather embarrassing level of knowledge of what pros are bagging lol. I know most of it from a glance at what they are holding.

If you play disc golf, you have a relationship with your discs. If you need a new disc, "overstable fairway driver" is not a category where every disc is a clone of any other. There are some discs you love and you lean on. You beat them in, you buy them in different plastics, you know them intimately.

Knowing the specific discs pros throw is part of the story. Kristin leans on her Harp. Paige leans on the Fierce. Calvin has a long, long relationship with a specific Eagle he's owned forever. When Conrad went to MVP, people wanted to know how he would replace "greenie". You may not care, but lots of people do, and it's some sort of giveaway to the manufacturer's to say what disc people are throwing.

If you play disc golf, you have a relationship with your discs. If you need a new disc, "overstable fairway driver" is not a category where every disc is a clone of any other. There are some discs you love and you lean on. You beat them in, you buy them in different plastics, you know them intimately.

Knowing the specific discs pros throw is part of the story. Kristin leans on her Harp. Paige leans on the Fierce. Calvin has a long, long relationship with a specific Eagle he's owned forever. When Conrad went to MVP, people wanted to know how he would replace "greenie". You may not care, but lots of people do, and it's some sort of giveaway to the manufacturer's to say what disc people are throwing.

This is one of my favorite parts of the game (and my least favorite...pour one out for the lost homies).

Is there another sport where you cannot simply replace gear? I can't think of anything close personally. I'm sure people are sentimental about gear, but in disc golf its genuinely about different performing discs.