• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The RDG Tyrant: fairway driver

Sounds sweet to me! Mine will be here Monday; so hard to wait over the weekend! As far as the stamp goes, why not choose a couple? I mean if you've got 500 of them (maybe 450 with the blanks you've sold), it seems like there's room for at least a couple stamps. You could do a couple hundred with one stamp now and then save some blanks for a different stamp later...

That's the plan I do believe.
Can't wait to hear some reviews coming in

On my way to go throw this...

Mine was pretty badly warped. It was packaged securely and wasnt stuffed into a mailbox or anything so I dont know what happened there. Its one of the puddle topped ones, but the rim was in rough shape. Ive more or less been able to work it back to normal.

Plastic does feel good. Nice grip even though at first it seems slick. Pretty mallieable without being gummy. Standard RDG thin flight plate makes it seem like the flight plate is close to Discraft FLX plastiC, where the rim is more old Innova Star. Sounds weird, I know. Rim feela pretty comfortable in the hand. Should feel pretty familiar to long term Teebird throwers.

Flashing on the nose was trimmed...poorly. Im trying to be nice on that. No flashing on the underside of the rim though. Should be interesting to throw around. Everyone on here knows I was pretty psyched for the Tyrant...now I wish I had ordered more than one because the one I got is pretty rough with all the terrible trimming and warpage. Ill get one or two more when the stamped ones are released and see if this is a freak occurance.

Sounds like that should be exchanged, not thrown. Doesn't even sound X out quality...

I'm sure RDG would.

Ordered a couple. Had no idea these were out, now!

This...uh...wasnt exactly what I was hoping for.
Im going to shoot some quick throws with thr Raptor,Tyrant then Ptero. Ptero and Raptor murder the Tyrant in distance and the Tyrant fade is harsh. Snaps out of the hand nice.

And in the sunlight iy has metal flakes!

Damn... There were a few that looked like Freddy Krueger trimmed them...
Josh was supposed to pull those. You know we will take care of you there buddy.

Unfortunate disc conditions aside, I know the flight is going to impress. I'll get you a replacement to test against

No need for a replacement. I'll just buy a stamped one.

These are definetly overstable. It's got a fuller flight than the Raptor, but much shorter. The snap of the Tyrant out of my hand is audible and feels good. The fade is harsh...very similar to a Banshee. Much harsher than a Brinster Teebird, though I think thr Brinster Teebird has more HSS. Couldnt really get a good anhyzer flight out of the Tyrant. Decent flex shots, but not quite enough drift to the right.

More overstable than I expected for sure. Currently I like the Amber Raptor for the role that the Tyrant wpuld fill. I need more time with it and to beat the Tyrant in. But its not a Teebird replacement.

Yeah off the shelf these are definitely not a Teebird. But they were designed to start out more OS and season in rather than start out perfect and quickly lose their reliable flight.

I think the best approach with the Tyrant is to grab a fresh one and throw it for all your hyzer work that doesn't require Raptor / FB level of beef, it'll start delaying in fade more and more and eventually you'll miss that initial straight to fade flight and pop another in the bag.

I was a little worried they weren't user friendly enough off the shelf but a bunch of lower arm power locals are clicking with it so my mind has been put at ease.

I would like to see a comparison of HSS vs a Brinster though as the Tyrant HSS for me is about as stiff as you can get without being utility OS.

My Tyrants arrived today, too. No flashing issues with mine and they aren't warped. The two I received are of the puddle-topped variety. Very comfortable in the hand and they feel extremely similar to my Rivals, which is a plus. The plastic is softer than I was expecting, but it feels great. I probably won't get to throw these until Monday, but I will report back.

One interesting thing I will note is these feel great when held in the thumber grip. I think it is because the puddle top gives a nice place for my index finger to really dig in and get a good grip. I throw a lot of thumbers, so I will definitely be checking to see how they fly for OH throws.

My Tyrant is just as beefy as a Raptor. Raptor gets much more distance...Id say 40 to 60 feet past the Tyrant every time with the Petro even farther still. Its definitely a beefy disc.

My Tyrant is just as beefy as a Raptor. Raptor gets much more distance...Id say 40 to 60 feet past the Tyrant every time with the Petro even farther still. Its definitely a beefy disc.

Have you trimmed the flashing? A lot of flashing like that can make discs fly shorter and more OS I believe.

Have you trimmed the flashing? A lot of flashing like that can make discs fly shorter and more OS I believe.

Might just be a perfect storm of suck in this one. I'll get Andy another one to see if it's the disc. I want him to be seeing the same amazing flight that the other reviews are seein.

The Tyrant is beefy but I can definitely throw it longer than the Raptor

First off: Im not an idiot. I know about flashing, and as I already stated, there's no flashing at all on the bottom of the disc. There is severe trimming issues around the rim and a slightly warped flight plate.

Now then: PLEASE do not send me another one. I'll wait for the stamped ones and buy teo fair and square to review. If you could, and if you have time, just double check the Tyrants ypu have to look out for those trimming issues. Hopefully ypu wont find too many.

I'll upload the clip of me throwing the Tyrant later. It was about 30 throws in. Downhill, into a headwind. You can hear it snap out of my hand so I was throwing it hard. It gets quite a bit of rise and just crashes. 307 feet from release to landing.

First off: Im not an idiot. I know about flashing, and as I already stated, there's no flashing at all on the bottom of the disc. There is severe trimming issues around the rim and a slightly warped flight plate.

Sorry, not trying to imply that you're an idiot at all. Honestly, *I* don't know that much about flashing. I hardly ever remove it from my discs, but I thought I'd heard people on here say that flashing around the rim could affect flight as well. I've only removed flashing from around the rim on a couple discs when it was bad enough that it felt like it might cut me (like the opto Pure I had once). It was just an idea I had from your description of the disc; really I wasn't trying to imply anything. :hfive:

Did you get out and throw it Q?
Anxiously awaiting more folks who love this disc as much as we do.
It has landed with the PDGA testing office so approval is close.

Just got mine out of the mailbox, hoping to get a chance to test out this upcoming week. Site was not joking about how flat these are, mines a puddle top