• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The sheer idiocy of playing in snow

LOL- This, um, frost is slick! I didn't use the Tees most of the time and still fell once.

Dude, welcome to the Four Seasons Frolfers Club (trademark pending :D)! I love rounds in weather like that. A light dusting makes the course really peaceful. A few tips for you and any other newbies traversing winter disc golf for the first time:

1. Don't use tee pads if they have snow on them. This is both for your own safety and for the benefit of others. All it takes is one goober to trounce all over the pads to turn them into an icy mess the next day. Either wait for a kind soul to shovel them off, or better yet bring a shovel with you and clear them as you play.
2. See tip #1.
3. See tip #1 and #2.

Oh, and keep your discs cold in your car trunk. This may seem counterintuitive, but warm discs turn icy after landing in the snow whereas the snow can be easily brushed off of cold discs.

I'll also add: try to keep the tracks to a minimum. Walk in single file as much as possible, and stick to already-trod-upon ground so that there's as much fresh snow as possible. Makes finding discs much easier, as you can find the "entry wound" in the unspoilt snow. All it takes for a really long search is to throw right near a bunch of trampled snow.

One cool thing about winter golf is you seldom lose a disc in the water.

Notice I said seldom. I have lost a couple that were literally way too far out of reach on really thin ice. I'm not jeopardizing my well being for a $20 piece of plastic.

I tried to talk my normal group into playing yesterday. I don't think the light snow discouraged anyone but the fact that it was about fourteen degrees at the time made everyone want to stay indoors.

I watched some of that tourney linked by apeitru and they said winter rules water was not OB! Mind blown. Side note, if we ever have a cold enough winter, need a long drive contest on the lake.

I'll also add: try to keep the tracks to a minimum. Walk in single file as much as possible, and stick to already-trod-upon ground so that there's as much fresh snow as possible. Makes finding discs much easier, as you can find the "entry wound" in the unspoilt snow. All it takes for a really long search is to throw right near a bunch of trampled snow.

I'm heading to the mountains this December and going to try and bag a few more courses. Can someone run down the procedures for taping ribbons to your discs: what types of ribbon or tape are best, what kind of tape to use to apply them, best plastic to use, apply to a warm or cold disc? :popcorn:

One cool thing about winter golf is you seldom lose a disc in the water.

Notice I said seldom. I have lost a couple that were literally way too far out of reach on really thin ice. I'm not jeopardizing my well being for a $20 piece of plastic.

I tried to talk my normal group into playing yesterday. I don't think the light snow discouraged anyone but the fact that it was about fourteen degrees at the time made everyone want to stay indoors.

No Bugs
Little to no Poison Ivy
No snakes.
No one else on the course with you.

I will take snow over 40 deg rain every day of the week.

I really wish Global Warming was real. It gets colder and colder every year. Maybe they should of went with Global Cooling. That would have been a better spiel. lol

I'm heading to the mountains this December and going to try and bag a few more courses. Can someone run down the procedures for taping ribbons to your discs: what types of ribbon or tape are best, what kind of tape to use to apply them, best plastic to use, apply to a warm or cold disc? :popcorn:

I've never used ribbons, so cannot advise.

I go by watching my disc and finding the marks in the snow where it hit and then tracking it from there.

Edit: I typically schlep a shovel if it's super snowy or to clear pads.

Does pool chalk work the way I think it would? Put some on most of the rim before the throw and it should leave a streak where it lands.

Does pool chalk work the way I think it would? Put some on most of the rim before the throw and it should leave a streak where it lands.

There are a lot of chalk guys out there for sure. Works well until it gets too popular and there are just colored spots all over the normal landing areas.

I've never used ribbons, so cannot advise.

I go by watching my disc and finding the marks in the snow where it hit and then tracking it from there.

Edit: I typically schlep a shovel if it's super snowy or to clear pads.

I try to stick to smaller courses that I know well. Familiar landing zones make looking for discs a whole lot easier.

The one thing I find useful is the Ice Chains, the same brand That makes Yak Tracks makes these chains with mini chain links, My area has thawing and freezing so ice is a big issue in my area. The chains are the best for ice yet can be used on pavement or on snow, better then actual ice spikes and last longer then the standard styles of Yak Tracks.

picture.php

Now THIS is what discin' in snow looks like! ;)
Let's see Kevin Jones putt in that!

Took this pic on my course today. 9 inches.
Last year we had 280" and over 300" the year before. At some point you stop playing because you will lose discs.
I hereby invite the ribbon and chalk people to come play a round in my area in January or February. :doh:
(in February, you won't even know this picnic table is here)

Looks like some nice lake effect?

Latest posts