• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The sheer idiocy of playing in snow

Complete thread jack but how was Sno*Drift this year!?
I followed the updates and watched Al Dantes (media character this year) but it leaves so much to be desired. How were the snowbanks? Decent speeds or real icy? I need to get back over there one of these years... I should put the car back together too but thats another topic all together.

Terrific Sno*Drift this year. About 5 ft banks for the cars to bounce off of and scrub speed off. About 6 in fresh snow for good grip. Way better than last years ice drift. We have been going for decades (even longer to POR/LSPR), so we have found some great spots to spectate over the years. Avoid the spectator areas. Got a couple guys in our crew that have raced in the past. Alpha Romeo Milan and a Mustang. No top race teams this year, seems a change in organization running the series left little time for the big sponsored teams to get their act together.

What kind of car were you racing?

Below -50 windchill tomorrow. While students have the day off, per our contract, we teachers still have to be in the building from 7am to 3pm, otherwise tomorrow might be a challenge worth attempting just to say that I did. I do have the proper gear.

Below -50 windchill tomorrow. While students have the day off, per our contract, we teachers still have to be in the building from 7am to 3pm, otherwise tomorrow might be a challenge worth attempting just to say that I did. I do have the proper gear.

Do it Scott! Winter Westside Wednesday will be going on at Brookview. I'm guessing we'll have enough for a card, maybe two lol

Getting ready for the weekend.

Zobel / Wilderness.

Winter golf rules if you're ready for it.

Attachments

• ribbons.jpg
    ribbons.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 44

Yeah, I could handle the cold. How's the footing, though?

Do it Scott! Winter Westside Wednesday will be going on at Brookview. I'm guessing we'll have enough for a card, maybe two lol

I can never make WWW during the school year because of my kids, but I try to hit it up during the summer. Does not help that moving to Hutch means the best attended leagues are now over an hour away. I will likely just play South Park for a quick 9 holes.

My 2019 goal is to average nine holes a day on UDisc and then check my stats at the end of the year. Right now I am sitting at, at an average of 9 a day, day 31 and 2/3. So if I need to take a day off, it would not currently hurt my average.

Yeah, I could handle the cold. How's the footing, though?

I have not checked with the new snow and blowing drifts, but during the last round of thaw, most of the tee pads were flooded and then refroze. If it were not for those early winter thaws, most of the courses around Hutch would be fine. However, I now have skating rinks everywhere. Thankfully the last round of snow produced enough where I compacted the snow on top of the ice. Now it was no different than throwing from dirt or sand; not ideal, but a million times better than throwing from ice.

I have played twice in the last month at Saint Peter, while picking up my daughter from Gustavus, and that whole course is a thick ice rink. That was just frustrating, but since moving, I almost never get to play 18 hole courses anymore.

I am definitely looking forward to this Friday and Saturday where the temperatures recover. On Friday I am playing Glencoe, Winthrop, or Saint Peter before I pick up my daughter at 5pm. While staying local, I have to get out Saturday for more than just a quick 9.

Last edited:
...Thankfully the last round of snow produced enough where I compacted the snow on top of the ice. Now it was no different than throwing from dirt or sand; not ideal, but a million times better than throwing from ice...

Just wanted to make sure everyone caught that: Stomped down snow over solid ice is what we call "better" around here.

Go ahead and start without me.

I will watch the disc land and pick out a landmark on the correct line, but walk down the fairway as far as possible on established paths. Not only does this keep the fairway clear of distracting footprints for other players, it also helps to delay the inevitable boot sogginess.

When I'm in the right distance range, I'll walk perpendicular to the fairway until I'm lined up between my landmark and the tee.

Yes, playing disc golf in the snow is pretty stupid. But a lot of times, it's better than not playing disc golf![/QUOTE

So use the 90 degree rule like with carts in wet weather? Darn it! Are we becoming more like stick golf?

Mike, aka, MFW, is playing in -40 (while sick) for his 1,950th straight day of throwing at least 18 holes.

I'm not on FB, but I was sent this pic and it says to share everywhere, so this thread seems like an appropriate place.

I am addicted to disc golf, but MFW takes it to another level.

Attachments

• MFW.jpg
    MFW.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 70
There were a total of eight of us at WWW league last night in Minneapolis. Temp of -17 at 6:00 to start the round, -22 at 9:00 when we finished. Not too much of a wind chill. Good times!

Oh, and Scotch 33+ electrical tape FTW!! None of our lights fell off. The only thing that failed due to the temp was the batteries themselves.

Temp on Saturday will be in the 40's. I'm thinking there will be a couple guys playing in shorts lol.

Latest posts