• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

^^^Incorrect. All the discs you named require more power and/or better technique to really be useful. The Tern, like the Mamba are warp speed drivers with more glide, making them just a touch more beginner friendly. While most people here feel noobs shouldn't be throwing anything warp speed, we all acknowledge that the bulk of the population plays this sport much more casually than we do, and will buy whatever is put in front of them at a sporting goods store. I'd much rather see a new player make the "mistake" of trying to throw a Tern as opposed to a Groove, Boss, Ape, Nuke, or whatever other "traditional" speed 12/13 driver you'd like to use as an example. I still don't get much more distance out of my Tern than I do my speed 9/10 stuff, but I get that distance with less effort. As the Tern rewards a smooth easy throw as opposed to trying to muscle up on it, throwing the the Tern allows you to slow down a little and concentrate on form and hitting lines as opposed to having to try to throw too hard in order to get a warp speed disc up to it's needed speed.

I may have missed this in the 50 pages so I apologize if I did. Could someone who has thrown the Tern with 400+ feet D compare it to a few other high speed S-Curve flight pattern discs like the D4, Canon, Bolt, Katana, etc. I own all of those so I'm not picky on the comparison. I'm looking for a hyzer-flip/turnover disc and haven't found anything I love yet. I play in AZ with long wide open holes and yes I can realistically throw over 400 consistently since you almost have to here to compete in any level Advanced+ (anyone who watched the Memorial knows why). I use to throw a Star Vulcan for this type of shot but it got beat in too much and I couldn't trust it to ever come back if I threw a big turnover shot. I want something I can turnover for 350+ then have it slowly fade out for the last 50+ feet. Hope this helps explain what I am looking for since the Tern sounds interesting. Thanks

I may have missed this in the 50 pages so I apologize if I did. Could someone who has thrown the Tern with 400+ feet D compare it to a few other high speed S-Curve flight pattern discs like the D4, Canon, Bolt, Katana, etc. I own all of those so I'm not picky on the comparison. I'm looking for a hyzer-flip/turnover disc and haven't found anything I love yet. I play in AZ with long wide open holes and yes I can realistically throw over 400 consistently since you almost have to here to compete in any level Advanced+ (anyone who watched the Memorial knows why). I use to throw a Star Vulcan for this type of shot but it got beat in too much and I couldn't trust it to ever come back if I threw a big turnover shot. I want something I can turnover for 350+ then have it slowly fade out for the last 50+ feet. Hope this helps explain what I am looking for since the Tern sounds interesting. Thanks

I've been throwing champ and metal flake terns. Basically, you have to meet this disc halfway depending on what form your comfortable with. Coming from an ultimate background, I think this disc is KILLER for guys who've transitioned over, and feel comfortable popping up a hyze-flip 20-40' up into the air. You really have to know how to play glide over speed; and it's cool you get the speed component to fire up if you don't over-work it. I'd say it flies similar to Valks and Sidwinders in this regard. Thrown flat and low with a lot of power, it turns over and doesn't have the HSS to pull out of it.

I've been throwing champ and metal flake terns. Basically, you have to meet this disc halfway depending on what form your comfortable with. Coming from an ultimate background, I think this disc is KILLER for guys who've transitioned over, and feel comfortable popping up a hyze-flip 20-40' up into the air. You really have to know how to play glide over speed; and it's cool you get the speed component to fire up if you don't over-work it. I'd say it flies similar to Valks and Sidwinders in this regard. Thrown flat and low with a lot of power, it turns over and doesn't have the HSS to pull out of it.

Great explanation of the Tern right there. Players should also try it as a long distance roller. Goes forever.

i saw this post from innova over at the pdga discussion board. so star terns scoming soon

"The Tern is a long range driver. We are making two types of Terns. Champion Terns will be released next year around February, I believe. Champion's flight ratings are: 12,6,-2,2. Star's ratings will be more terny and less reterny. Star's flight ratings will be 12,6,-3,1. Star will be more appropriate for lower power player and Champion will be more appropriate for higher power players. Star will probably be released a few weeks before or after Champion."

star stamp is not a "proto", it's an initial limited release. It is the same production run as the stock stamp. There are simply a limited amount of them available with that stamp.

star stamp is not a "proto", it's an initial limited release. It is the same production run as the stock stamp. There are simply a limited amount of them available with that stamp.

Its a PROTOSTAR its for the first run, which is the same as the first run of stock stamp but with out all the guessing on if its a first run:)

The new plastic coming out is amazing. So grippy. Here is the proto Tern I just got

5G12uefl.jpg

The new plastic is really nice. It seems like Innova is trying to step it up a little bit, which they need to do because I feel that Opto and Goldline are superior to Champ and Star. I think the Tern is the best mold they've released the past couple of years. Its got an insane amount of glide and its easy to throw far.

picked up a 175 at PIAS

I haven't been playing a lot the last few months, but took it out to a local course a couple days ago that has a wide open fairway on the first hole. I immediately compared it to a beaten Destroyer. My form was still a bit rusty, so the headwind shots weren't very consistent, but when I threw it fairly well it flipper over nice, glided, and faded back nicely. I don't use a range finder or anything, but it seemed a good 30-40ft longer than my destroyer that I would normally throw on that hole.

I think this will be a favorite for me on open holes until I learn it a bit more. On a few of the shots it was very straight like a Teebird, so the "S" curve a lot of folks mention may only apply to those not getting enough power to throw it straight. I have been carrying a heavy Valk in my bag for years and has similar flight capabilities to it as well.

oh, I typically throw 350-375, but can throw maybe 400 on wide open holes with a good rip.

Attachments

• tern.jpg
    tern.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 15
picked up a 175 at PIAS

I think this will be a favorite for me on open holes until I learn it a bit more. On a few of the shots it was very straight like a Teebird, so the "S" curve a lot of folks mention may only apply to those not getting enough power to throw it straight.

i have had this happen to me a lot as well.

If I really just rip on my Terns, it goes very straight. But I have difficulty ranging it when I do that...and I have other discs for that shot. I like the Tern for those 80% s-curve shots

After using it for a few weeks the Tern still out drives anything else in my bag.
I've parked holes that I've never parked before.
However, it also is a bit nose/wind sensitive (for me at least) and I also have throws that turn and burn at less than 100'.
I've found that for me, it responds the best with less power.
I really like it, but still don't use it in tourney rounds because I don't completely trust it just yet.

Oh yeah, I have a 175 and a 170.

I won a Tern in a raffle and have been throwing it a bit for the past week. I was expecting an understable disc, however unless I throw this into a noticeable headwind with a 100% effort, I'm not getting much/any turn. Pretty straight, lots of glide, lots of fade, really fast. Pretty comparable to a new champion katana, maybe just a little more glide. We'll see what happens when it starts to beat in a little. As to the plastic - it looks good and seems to be a little more pliable/flexible than the recent champ plastic. Feels pretty good in the hand.

Latest posts