• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

I love my Mamba, but it's a special use disc.
I use the Tern as a special use too. I would have to say I reserve the Tern for the long open drives 300'+. Mambas are understable while the Tern is more S-pattern with little fade. I like the unLace for insanely easy distance. I would say the performance of both are similar and worthy of any frolfer's bag.

Just got a 172 champ tern. Had some testing with it yesterday and I really like it. I was comparing it with my most stable king, a 172 vip, which is my go to disc for distance. My king in calm conditions is money, nice subtle turn, then good forward fade. In a bit of a headwind, the king will turn a little too much, losing some accuracy. I was hoping the tern at 172 in champ plastic would hold up better in headwinds than my king and it delivered pretty well. Heavy headwinds, no way, but medium headwinds it was a better option than my king. I have 350-375 ft of power and it will turn slightly, then a nice late forward fade. Very nice disc, already made the bag

My Champion Tern is pretty good in a Headwind too. I have a 168 and it does very well.

after owning a champ tern and a star turn the past couple of weeks i can honestly say that the the star turn flys much smother and more fade than the champ tern (which is much more OS)
I have throw the star tern way past 300 on a nice day and have loved it.. releasing with a hyzer and having it flip up to a fade and launching past one of my personal bests that i threw with a d3 and d4..
the star tern is a solid disc and somebody gave it to me!!! haha love the dg community.. even if the tern is pretty much the only innova still in mmy bag besides the teebird.. its not going anywhere anytime soon!!!!

:thmbup:

A few backups and a couple that are in the bag. I won the two Echo's from the Innova CFR drawing. Freebies, Oh yeah!!

IMAG5322_zps10b56527.jpg

Any big arms getting BOG distance with a tern? I'm talking 470-500'+ consistently? Or do they TERN and burn? (See what I did there)

Just added a 163 Champ to my heavier Champ and World's Star. The newer one is just as I had hoped, and between the others in stability. The 163 flips up from hyzer, makes a move to the right, then slowly comes back. Best I've felt about my driver lineup n a while. Now, what to do with all the Renegades?

I just dug out my star tern and tossed it a couple of days.
Still a little too much disc for this noodle arm (almost no turn, and no extra distance).
I will keep on with my saints for now, and keep working on getting > 325'-350'

I was getting about the same distance, but I feel like if it doesn't go 40'-50' farther - what's the point.
Also being the star version, I felt it should have a little to high speed turn, if I am throwing it correctly.
It only dipped one or two times, otherwise it just flew straight with low speed fade at the end.
It might just need a little seasoning to fly the way I think it should.
On a side note, I can throw my teebirds and my Buzzz almost this same distance.
So i will stick with the slower stuff for now.

I have been dipping into my higher speed pile of discs a little.
I have decided to try and make Terns my next disc to work on.
so I just traded my protostar Mamba for another new star tern.
so now I have 2 star 166/167 Terns and a CH 170ish Tern .
so now I am just going to work on beating it up a little when the opportunity arises.
We will give it a chance to see if I can make it work.
I figure by the time my throwing is up to a 12 speed the disc might be ready.

Last edited:
Any big arms getting BOG distance with a tern? I'm talking 470-500'+ consistently? Or do they TERN and burn? (See what I did there)

I threw my 171 champ tern 470.. But I can't throw that far consistently. It's gonna need some room to work at that distance that's for sure lol

I have 3 Star Terns that are only useful with no wind but a 167 Champ Tern that holds up pretty well and is surprisingly stable compared to the Star plastic. Got my second ace ever on Jan 1st, hole#2, Truckee, Ca with the Champ Tern. Both of my career aces in 17 months of playing have been with Terns!

I wish I could get one out past 400' but just don't have the power and form yet.