• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Vibram Birdie Bash!

AndyJB

Big Country
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Hello all...don't know if everyone is as excited about Mr. Dodge and Vibram are doing this year as I am, but I got so pumped I decided to TD one myself! There are 3 already scheduled for Colorado. I figured this thread will be the place to ask questions and hype up your events. So I'll start with mine:
148964_10200225129133227_515023841_n.jpg

The event page on Facebook can be found right here: http://www.facebook.com/events/576506569029537/?ref=22&suggestsessionid=13023981601357654844

Ours is a smaller course, so only 30 slots will be available. The weekend prior, there is another Birdie Bash going on a little bit North of us at the Legendary Phantom Falls disc golf course, which I will post info for as soon as I get it as well.:hfive:

Brief rundown:
When you register for a Birdie Bash event, you get to choose your combo of putter and mid/driver (of your choice). You also get to select your size of shirt. When you arrive to check-in the day of the event, your TD will have your discs and shirt for you at the table. Those are the only two discs your are allowed to use. The tournament is played in 2 rounds.

Points are scored thusly:
Ace/Eagle 5 points
Birdie 2 Points
Metal hit (only when going for Birdie, Eagle or off the tee) 1 point

The overall winner will get their choice of a Vibram tester position or a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. Whichever prize they DON'T choose, goes to 2nd place. Winner of the 2nd round gets a Vibram Beer Glass.

Keeping with the Vibram theme, as a TD I will be purchasing additional Vibram Discs from our local retailer to giveaway to the most improved player and possibly a Ring of Fire as well.

I really enjoyed the Ace Race this year.

I think I'd like this format even better. I hope someone in Central Ohio gets one organized (not sure I am ready to TD anything yet).

I really enjoyed the Ace Race this year.

I think I'd like this format even better. I hope someone in Central Ohio gets one organized (not sure I am ready to TD anything yet).

Oh, this would be easy. Everything is set aside and ready. All you have to do is put people on their way.

A good first TD experience.

Do it!

Just for clarification, the TD chooses the two discs and everyone gets the same two, right? As opposed to each person that registers chooses and the TD gets an assortment and passes out what each player asked for?

when you register online you get to make your choice. you get any putter with any mid or driver. they also ask if you like heavy or light discs. i'm thinking about hosting one, and i've been debating on what combination i'd go with at my local course.

when you register online you get to make your choice. you get any putter with any mid or driver. they also ask if you like heavy or light discs. i'm thinking about hosting one, and i've been debating on what combination i'd go with at my local course.

Right, but is the "you" who is registering a player or a TD? So are you saying that the players can all have different discs? I am just trying to make sure I understand correctly because I love the idea of this and I may try to promote having one in my area.

Right, but is the "you" who is registering a player or a TD? So are you saying that the players can all have different discs? I am just trying to make sure I understand correctly because I love the idea of this and I may try to promote having one in my area.

Yes, the players get to choose their own discs along with a general weight range. And the shirt size of course. If you register for an event, there is a drop-down menu of all the different combos. They are:
Lace/Ridge
Lace/V.P.
Lace/Summit
Lack/Sole
Ascent/Ridge
Ascent/V.P.
Ascemt/Summit
Ascent/Sole
Trak/Ridge
Trak/V.P.
Trak/Summit
Trak/Sole
Ibex/Ridge
Ibex/V.P.
Ibex/Summit
Ibex/Sole
Obex/Ridge
Obex/V.P.
Obex/Summit
Obex/Sole

For example, for my event I'll be choosing an Ascent and a Ridge in heavy weight. For the Phantom Falls event, which is a much more technical course, I'll be choosing the Ibex and the Ridge, again in heavy weights.

Oh, this would be easy. Everything is set aside and ready. All you have to do is put people on their way.

A good first TD experience.

Do it!

Agreed. If you are willing to make the time commitment to organizing and advertising (and getting additional sponsors, if need be) Vibram does the rest. You simply go to the Birdie Bash website and register as a TD there. They take care of the registration, shipping you the players packs, posters, score cards, banners, all that. Really great experience and Mr. Dodge could not be more helpful in making sure your event is a success.

If you follow the registration page it appears the individual player is choosing his/her discs.

Thanks for the replies. I think that will make an already great sounding event even more appealing to players looking to try a certain Vibram mold!

Yes, I really like the way that Mr. Dodge put all this together. It's much more TD-friendly than a PDGA event or even Discraft's Ace Races. There is still quite a bit of work involved, but easily manageable by one person and with two (like we're doing for our event) it is absolutley a breeze.

I'll be doing both of them locally. I don't miss an event (except the glow round :() at Phantom. And you know I'll be doing the one at Cumberland.

What about the not so internet friendly players? How are walkups handled?

they aren't
unless the TD has ordered extra packages, but then I guess you get what you get, no choice of discs or shirt size.

they aren't
unless the TD has ordered extra packages, but then I guess you get what you get, no choice of discs or shirt size.
Ouch.
I gotta believe that would hurt turnout substantially in my area. Would love to host one though.

^^They had walk-ups at the one at Maple Hill(they asked me if I wanted to play when I showed up and I didn't even know it was going on) but I guess that isn't the norm.

It depends on the TD. I will probably have a few extra packages available, and it's still 25 bucks. But yes, in the case of walk-ons you don't get to choose the disc or shirt size. But you are still able to win the grand prize, of course.

In our case (at Cumberland Green DGC) our city permit limits the amount of people we have. I'm sure every location is different.

Latest posts