• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Vibram Birdie Bash!

I would totally play one of these. I've always been interested in Vibram but I never made the jump to try it. This would be perfect. I hope Dana gets one going in our area!

Last edited:
I would totally play one of these. I've always been interested in Vibram but I never made the jump to try it. This would be perfect. I hope Dana gets one going in our area!

The cool thing about this event is Vibram does a lot of the work for you. They make it super-intuitive. I was planning on convincing someone else to TD one at my local course until I realized how easy it is. It still takes a lot of work, but that's mostly getting permits, advertising that stuff.

^^They had walk-ups at the one at Maple Hill(they asked me if I wanted to play when I showed up and I didn't even know it was going on) but I guess that isn't the norm.

Ha, well yes, I'd imagine this being run at Maple Hill would be substantially different than other places.

I'm thinking about running one of these on a course that is almost finished. I'm thinking it might be a good way to introduce people to a course that is a bit remote. My chief concern is that it's only a 9 hole course so I'll have to limit the field. Anyone know if Vibram is cool with that?

Hello,
First post here longtime visitor. I am running a birdie bash in my area and was wondering if it would be proper to post here or start a new thread for it. Thanks

Hello,
First post here longtime visitor. I am running a birdie bash in my area and was wondering if it would be proper to post here or start a new thread for it. Thanks

If you have questions about the event, feel free to jump in here. If you want to promote your event, there's a section of the forums for promoting and discussing tournaments and you can start a new thread there.

I'm thinking about running one of these on a course that is almost finished. I'm thinking it might be a good way to introduce people to a course that is a bit remote. My chief concern is that it's only a 9 hole course so I'll have to limit the field. Anyone know if Vibram is cool with that?

They should be, as long as its two rounds. But it would be cool if you got creative with it, if you had a small field of players you could play 9 regular, then 9 reverse to make it 18. But Vibram doesn't set and specifc limits like holes.

For this type of event, some creative temp holes could be fun too and most areas have plenty of players with temp baskets who would bring them out for an event like that.

For this type of event, some creative temp holes could be fun too and most areas have plenty of players with temp baskets who would bring them out for an event like that.

Exactly. The point is having fun! The grand prize choices are awesome, so there will be some competitiveness, but really the heart of this is an exhibition of Vibrams discs and, most of all, to bring a little fun back into DG. If you can get d
Onations, or even are willing to spend some of your own money (both of which we've done for ours) you can add additional prizes and boost the fun level even more.

I am about to set up one of these in Texas hopefully. I am having some resistance. From some of my fellow course mates. We are opening a course in march/April. It is currently being worked on with concrete teepads going in next week. The guys feel like these "fun" tourneys are not going to bring in real players. First them using "fun" to describe it as an insult is getting annoying. They say its not a real tourney so it's not a real thing. None of them have ever played in these type of events (ace race/two disc challenge,etc). How do I convince them that this is going to work and trust me. The funny thing is they wanted a tourney to bring new players to a new course. To me this is perfect. The other funny thing is nobody besides me has even offered to put any money into any type of tournament. I explained this is pretty much self supported and would be perfect. The other issue is the county area has pretty much only been exposed to innova and a little discraft. So I am getting resistance there as well. It's not just vibram as they also were iffy on running a dynamic disc tourney later in year.

I am about to set up one of these in Texas hopefully. I am having some resistance. From some of my fellow course mates. We are opening a course in march/April. It is currently being worked on with concrete teepads going in next week. The guys feel like these "fun" tourneys are not going to bring in real players. First them using "fun" to describe it as an insult is getting annoying. They say its not a real tourney so it's not a real thing. None of them have ever played in these type of events (ace race/two disc challenge,etc). How do I convince them that this is going to work and trust me. The funny thing is they wanted a tourney to bring new players to a new course. To me this is perfect. The other funny thing is nobody besides me has even offered to put any money into any type of tournament. I explained this is pretty much self supported and would be perfect. The other issue is the county area has pretty much only been exposed to innova and a little discraft. So I am getting resistance there as well. It's not just vibram as they also were iffy on running a dynamic disc tourney later in year.

Well firxst and foremost is the obvious monetary value. Vibram gives back 5 dollars to the TD for everyone who shows up, which can be used to further improve your course. This is something that other companies just don't do with these types of tournaments.

Secondly, you need to ask your fellow course deigners what exactly they were designing a course for. If it was so them and some buddies could play, that's fine. But if they REALLY wanted to design a course to be played by lots of people and to gain exposure for the course, then these type of events are exactly what they should be looking for. Saying something like "real players" is somewhat snobbish at best and face-punch worthy insulting at worst. This is a sport played by famlies and people just looking for some fresh air. The Vibram Birdie Bash is just another way to show them how much fun disc golf can be. Its an amazing value: 25 bucks for 2 discs and a shirt (and the possibility of winning some great prizes) will bring in a ton of casual players. If you get 50 casual players, and 5 of them decide, because this one event was so much fun, that will concentrate more on DG and try to be competitive, then you are still giving your partners what they want, while getting a ton of new eyes on your labor of love, your new course.

Its all in how you look at it. Your partners, no offense, seem like the typical kind of discers that I hate. However, once you convince them that this is a good idea and they see how much fun it is to participate in, I think they'll have a much different outlook on these events. I was skeptical doing my 1st Discraft Ace Race, but I had so much fun that I can now greatle appreciate these "fun tournaments" (and that's another thing, since when is having fun throwing a disc a bad thing?)

Plus, bare minimum, your mates have a chance of getting 2 Vibrams of their choice, and a shirt, for 25 bucks.:hfive:

Forget Them, Do It Anyways, Let Then WHine.

I am almost to the point of telling them to well you know. And just run it the way I want. Problem is I don't live there anymore I live two hours away. But I got everyone started and was asked to come back and help with course design and growing the course. It's been a very tiring process of dealing with them. I thought this was a great way to even playing field and not make new golfers overwhelmed by the players that brings a bag of 30 disc with them. I told them I have played in both and the same people showed up for both kind of tourneys. I do think they are turning into those type of golfers and don't realize it. It's to the point where I am going to book it without them and run it by myself anyways

Well firxst and foremost is the obvious monetary value. Vibram gives back 5 dollars to the TD for everyone who shows up, which can be used to further improve your course. This is something that other companies just don't do with these types of tournaments.

Secondly, you need to ask your fellow course deigners what exactly they were designing a course for. If it was so them and some buddies could play, that's fine. But if they REALLY wanted to design a course to be played by lots of people and to gain exposure for the course, then these type of events are exactly what they should be looking for. Saying something like "real players" is somewhat snobbish at best

Its all in how you look at it. Your partners, no offense, seem like the typical kind of discers that I hate.

Plus, bare minimum, your mates have a chance of getting 2 Vibrams of their choice, and a shirt, for 25 bucks.:hfive:

I do agree I have played almost 11 years now. I have just started playing in tourneys a few months ago because of snobbish players. I showed up to a course day of a tourney didn't know about. I had only played 6 months or so and didn't know how things worked. They guys were so rude about me being there. If they would of invited me to play I would of. ( I did show up before they were there). Part of the reason I never competed. They gave me a bad feeling about tourney played. I do agree with getting new people. From my experience every new player you can brig will bring 2 or 3 more. As usually they will like the sport and talk a buddy into playing and the. Someone else it's a chain reaction

If they're not playing to have fun, then I'd argue they're not the real players.

Honestly, I doubt there's much you could do to convince them. I would just go full speed with it, get who you can and try to get those new players. They'll either stop being stubborn dbags about it and sign up, or they won't and wouldn't be worth the effort of trying anyways.

Just make sure you cross your T's and dot your I's with the city. I had to pay a permit for use of my hometown course, but it will be totally worth it. I have people coming from up to 80 miles away to play, so its obviously a big draw. Getting more eyes on your course and more players having fun "should" be the goal and, in my opinion, the Birdie Bash is a great way to do it. Slightly more competitive than an Ace Race, with a little added challenge but still a very relaxed atmosphere. I suggest everyone think about advertising to families, and setting up shorter teepads for Juniors, as they are the future of the sport. Plus I think it would be SO awesome if a 7 year old won the thing and got a spot on the Vibram tester team!

=

The city administrator is one of the guys behind the course. He is one of the reasons I keep getting held up. I will get everything going and boom something new. He is a big innova guy. I am sure if it was an on Innova birdie bash that approval would t if been that hard

Well it's official. We will be having one of these in Iowa park after all. Now just have to worry about people showing up and proving that I was right on this and not have to hear this was a bad idea like the guys think it will be.

Latest posts