• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thicker dye liquid???

jspaulding91

I've finally got my spinner up and working but all I have done I spirals and circles and I want to do more splatter kind of dyes. Right now I'm just using acetone and dye so it's too runny and isn't as vivid as I want. Any suggestions on dye mixtures and such to achieve a thicker and brighter color would be appreciated

Dan Howard or goosefrab1 would be the guys to ask on this question (BennetUA as well)

I've had some success, but it was all trial and error. I've used Elmer's glue, shaving cream, corn starch, laundry detergent, hand soap, alcohol, acetone, and all variations therein. I haven't done anything like this in a while, but I'd suggest trying mixing some of those things together. All are cheap too, you can hit a dollar store and get everything but the acetone.

This is the mixture Im talking of. It's an old video so Im wondering if theres a way to still do something like this

That looks like a dish soap or laundry detergent type dye mixture. After you dye like that it would need to sit for a few hours to get a nice bright color. You would also want to keep the disc moist while the dye sets.

That looks like a dish soap or laundry detergent type dye mixture. After you dye like that it would need to sit for a few hours to get a nice bright color. You would also want to keep the disc moist while the dye sets.

Is there a specific kind of detergent or soap to use? I'm assuming a clear one would be needed.

I personally use sun liquid detergent from walmart. I'ts cheap and also happens to be clear. However I don't know that it would matter too much if it's not clear. At least that's what I read when I first learned about dying with detergent.

I personally use sun liquid detergent from walmart. I'ts cheap and also happens to be clear. However I don't know that it would matter too much if it's not clear. At least that's what I read when I first learned about dying with detergent.

Ive dyed a few discs with laundry detergent as a thickener and Ive never used a clear detergent. I dont remember the brand off hand but the liquid was a light blue and I used red dye. End product was a vibrant red design on my yellow disc