• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This is why the PDGA has a dress code.

Brad you know with posting this, about 30% of the idiots that read this thread will only be more inspired to dress like Wal-Mart shoppers so they can feel like trolls in real life instead of just on the forums.

On the course I see people dressed from jeans, shorts, polo shirts, button up shirts, tanks, sleeveless, or shirtless. End of story people are getting out of the house and playing. Most of the of the time I play wearing jean shorts and a dickies work shirt because that's what I am comfortable in and I don't mind getting them dirty if I have to go on a disc hunt. If you are worried about what people are wearing on your local free courses maybe you should go somewhere that's pay to play or switch to ball golf where you have to pay green fees and ETC. Now as far as any tournaments are concerned yes it should have a dress code...something among the lines of you cannot be shirtless, no tank tops, no sandals, no 420 shirts, etc..you know something simple.

collard shirts

:thmbup:
Also most nicer golf courses have a dress code, no collard shirt=no playing. Disc golf in a public park is no where near the same. I've played ball golf since I was 4 or 5 & I might wear a collard shirt if I have to but it's usually shorts & a nice (no holes or tears) t-shirt. But if you're talking about sponsored pros, I can see your point, especially if it's a big event. But if I'm playing disc golf, it's 95 outside, sweating my arse off, trampling through briars & bushes, I'm not wearing my Sunday best

Every time I put on my collard shirt, I get attacked by the local hares.

I think if some of you were more involved in your local scenes youd realize that bummy, shirtless, old guys have built the scene and are some of the best people around.

I find so many corralations between dg and my music scene (likely due to them both being considered "uderground"). A scene that once promoted unity and safe haven for all became violent over dress code....i hope dg's future isnt headed there......but i think it is :(

The article is pretty much the perception of people who play disc golf. Having a few pros following a dress code during pro tournaments won't change that.

I can't stand to play with a shirt on if I'm hot.

images

It's all a crock I have seen shirtless drunk pot bellied morons driving a cart at golf courses.

If it's warmer than 75 degrees and sunny I'm wearing basketball shorts and going shirtless. I take pride in the way I dress but comfort trumps looks.

Skateboarding gets a free pass apparently. ESPN and the X Games. Sagging pants or your sisters skinny jeans. Pink mohawk or backwards flat hat etc etc

punk is a crowd living in their parents basement using their credit cards to buy things. they have shown they will spend a lot of $$$ on random crap associated with their "sport". none of the skate parks around here are free to use and safety equipment is required, so they generate revenue. public parks do not. parents also use skate facilities as day cares in the summer months, dropping their kids off with money for the day for food/drink/gear.

skateboarding gets a free pass because it attracts investors and makes money. public parks don't do this.

Allmost all skateparks in WA and OR are publically financed, and Burnside in Portland was in the first Tony Hawk video game.
You've got it backwards: skateboarding's popularity created private parks.

Hmm, I am not sure what to think on this one. Then again I tend to go to tournaments in attire required for major events. I do not think we can be too picky on dreww code but it is one of the things that keeps us from being a bigger sport. One of many things.

I'm curious about these numbers. Are you referring to marketing and "viewership" growth, or participation growth?

While ball golf may be losing some of it's participation, it's popularity as a spectator sport seems (to my uneducated view) to be holding very steady.

Disc golf on the other hand is rapidly growing in participation, but doesn't seem to be any more marketable now than it was a decade ago. Whether or not that's because of it's image is debatable.

I wear Dri-Fits up top, and nice shorts/Tevas if the course is open, and khakis/trail shoes if its scrappily wooded. But I might go barefoot/bareback if its nice grass/weather.

Dressing like a prig/snobbing like Mitt Romney on a park course probably isn't going to win too many converts, unless that's who you want to play with.

We get it Brad: its all about image for you. Not interested.

Just saying, a thin T shirt will keep you cooler then shirtless will. Especially if you are in the sun. Keeping the sun off your skin and your sweat close to your body for the breeze to hit is better then shirtless, all aesthetic issues aside.

There's reasons why people who work in the hot sun all day wear long sleeves in 110+ heat.

Okay, time to steer this topic back to where it started. Notice what I titled this thread "Why the PDGA has a dress code." I am not trying to advocate a dress code for all disc golf activities. I could understand private courses instituting some sort of basic dress code, but would never expect it.

My point is that the PDGA as a governing body for competitive disc golf has a dress code in place. This is to try to move the sport away from the dusty and crumpled stereotype and build an image of disc golfers as serious athletes.

If you want to go shirtless and barefoot at your local course, that's your choice and I will never complain about it. But don't show up to an A-Tier event like that and expect to be allowed to play.

Latest posts