• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This Should Be A Concern

Well, just refer any naysayers to their city councils and legislation in order to pull all municipal ball golf courses as well. I've seen far more beer consumption on municipal ball golf courses than I've ever seen on disc golf courses.

That misses the point. It's not about what the laws should be. It's about what the laws are. Sure, you can pursue changing the laws, and maybe even succeed.

Where "No alcohol" is the rule in the park and the local authorities wish to enforce it, openly flouting the rule is risking bad consequences, not just for the drinker but for the rest of the disc golf community.

That misses the point. It's not about what the laws should be. It's about what the laws are. Sure, you can. Pursue changing the laws, and maybe even succeed.

Where "No alcohol" is the rule in the park and the local authorities wish to enforce it, openly flouting the rule is risking bad consequences, not just for the drinker but for the rest of the disc golf community.

I understand, but minicipal courses are also considered city parks. If the rules do not apply to those city parks, then what creates the separation of law applications?

Though I certainly see the benefits of asking golfers to clean up behind themselves, I believe that the issue is more of littering and less of consumption. I do not drink on the course simply because it destroys my score and I appreciate clarity of mind while I play, however, I take no issue with other people that choose to drink while they play. It's their prerogative. As long as they consume in a responsible manner then I see no issue; leave adults to make their own decisions. If they do not respectfully consume, let the local disc community deal with them directly. If they do not take well to that, call in the proper authorities. However, an assertive disc golf community can do quite a bit of self-policing and clearing of the rift raft.

I just think it is unrealistic to expect disc golfers to put bags of empty beer cans in their cars and drive away. Sure, it's risky to consume publicly in the park, but they can transfer the container so it is not obvious. But multiple counts of open container isn't a risk they need to assume, so why would they? If your community really has that big a stick up it's rear that they would pull a course over beer cans in the trash, maybe it's time to move.

Coming from an area with a littering problem, I find it absurd that they have a problem with trash cans filling up. Most cities should be excited by people getting out and enjoying parks. I could see it being a big problem if people were being belligerent or driving drunk. But the city makes a big chunk of money from alcohol sales. Not to mention being out while your drinking is a lot more healthy than sitting on your couch and doing it.

You have to look at this from the other point of view.
Drunky McDrunkerson doesnt want to be caught weaving down the freeway with open containers, so he deposits them as soon as he drains them.
The rule is that if you provide trash receptacles, expect them to be filled with alcohic containers.
Urge your parks to use the " pack it in, pack it out " mentality, take away the trash cans, and hang anybody that drops an empty, anytime, anywhere, without asking questions.

taking away the trashcans is a pretty dumb solution, nobody will ever be there enough to police the littering.

If you can't give up the booze for a couple hour round you have a problem. Just drink extra when you get home if need be. This isn't a very complicated issue.

Causing someone pain is helpful?
Let's agree to disagree.

Mental pain, as nobody is saying it's a good idea to beat someone up for littering.:(

We cleaned up a course today and 85% of all trash on the course we bagged was beer cans.:thmbdown: And we have trash cans at every tee pad. I don't care if you drink, smoke, hell....shoot junk. Just do it respectfully and don't leave your cans, bottles, pipes or syringes along the course. :hfive:

If you course is about to get shut down because of drinking, then take your cans, bottles with you. This is NOT rocket surgery!:doh:

^^ I agree, but 'rocket surgery' is the the funniest thing I have seen all night!

Bottle and Kan Litter

I live in Canada and when we buy beer here we pay a 5 cent deposit on each can or bottle or 20 cents on a wine or liquor bottle .... that means those that need money pick the trash cans for cans and bottles .... it really helps keep the trash down ... also if you are in an area with no pick up just stomp on the can and take em with you in your bag and either recycle or trash em ... there is no excuse for littering cans.

Ah this old chestnut. We laugh about it at my home course (Cumberland Green in Fountain, CO) because those trash cans are always full of alcoholic beverages (empty, of course) and sometimes even a handle of Jack or two. Luckily, the people there are generally well behaved enough to police themselves. They don't even write on the baskets when they make an Ace (of course they do occasionally write on the tee signs for some reason...)

But I can understand this being a huge problem in other areas, specifically big public parks. Cumberland is sort of an exception because aside from the playground near the teebox to hole 1, there really isn't anything else in the park except for the DG course and a horse trail. It also all depends on the laws about public consumption, as they can vary by region. Some areas it's just "don't be drunk in public" and in others its absolutely no drinking in public, period.

But it's the same sort of issue as, forgive the terminology, chuckers. It's great to have people out playing, but if they don't want to change, it's very, very hard to force it on them. That's when the city steps in and takes the course away. So really, there is no easy solution to the problem. That doesn't mean give up. I remark I usually use that is effective (even more so on people whose recreational substance is of the more organic variety) is: "Hey man, I just saw a cop roll by and last week they busted someone here for drinking in public (or whatever the offense might be....it really works for anything to include graffiti, cursing, whatever)"

Some people might blow you off, but most, especially the happy drinkers will just see it as someone looking out for them, not someone trying to keep a course from being pulled.

That's an excellent way to approach them.

I suspect no-alcohol rules, and degrees of enforcement, vary not just by region, but from park-to-park. A multi-use park, and especially a park in a residential neighborhood, is more likely to have strict enforcement because many of the other park users will request it.

I would like to enter this "no alcohol policy" as exhibit A in the case of Ball Golf VS Disc Golf. Thank you your honor.

I never see anyone drinking alcohol on the course except the avid disc golfer that's past their 20's. the college kids are all just there to have fun throwing frisbees. it's the older generation that feels they have to drink to keep the game fun. everyone has problems. drink them away somewhere else please. :)

There is a subject that is as old as disc golf itself that needs to be addressed by all serious players of the sport. It closed down Wellspring for a time some years back. It is becoming an issue with the governmental goombas of High Point at Johnson Street. I've been told that it might close down part or all of Sloan in Sanford. I imagine that it is an issue at courses in areas with which I have no direct or indirect knowledge.
The issue is indiscreet alcohol consumption on the courses and filling the trash cans with beer cans. I don't drink myself, but I recognize and appreciate the want and wish to enjoy adult beverages while enjoying one's disc golfing. As serious players committed to the continuation and expansion of our beloved sport, we have to police ourselves, as well as those participants, whom I refer to as tourists, usually spoiled brat college students, like those from Elon at the Cedarock courses and from HPU at Johnson Street.
I remember a meeting a few years back planning a new public park in western Alamance County. One of our local pros was recommending installing a new championship level course at the facility. One of the managers from Cedarock Park recommended against it, stating that disc golf was more trouble that it was worth, primarily because of the alcohol issue.
Listen guys, if you want to drink beer or other alcohol while playing, I have no problem with that. It will generally make it easier for me to beat you. If you have room in your bag, cart, or pockets to carry in full bottles or cans, you have room to carry them out when they're empty. And for goodness sake, be aware and intelligent enough to be discreet while consuming.

The South, lol

I never see anyone drinking alcohol on the course except the avid disc golfer that's past their 20's. the college kids are all just there to have fun throwing frisbees. it's the older generation that feels they have to drink to keep the game fun. everyone has problems. drink them away somewhere else please. :)

See, now that's funny because around here it's the one disc shirtless frat boys that reek of booze and drunkenly throw in all directions except towards the basket.

Anyone ever notice that even in many locales where it is illegal to drink in the park by statute, its enforced sporadically at best as if its not a high priority? Well that's because its not a high priority.

Take that for what its worth.

Latest posts