• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on this tournament

NWcityguy2

Birdie Member
The Winter Wizard 5
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1148&day=2010-3-13&c=1
http://www.ww2k10.blogspot.com/

"As always, you must play with the Wizard that you were given at registration for the duration of the tournament. Any other disc thrown at any time will result in disqualification and removal from the tournament."

It is looking like the stars are going to align and I'll actually be able to play in a tournament, this tournament :). Seems kind of odd though that you have to show up, get one brand new disc and then play the entire event with it. Sounds like this is being run by a guy who thinks everyone should putt with his favorite putter.

Thankfully I traded for a Wizard a couple weeks ago, so thats what I'll be practicing with for the next two weeks.

They have this tournament every year, this is the first year - I think - that it is going to be up at Riverdale. I know a bunch of people who are going to it, should be a lot of fun. I think that this and a couple of their local tourneys are to help them raise $$ so they can buy better baskets (the ones they have are home made, pretty good for being such). Would be cool to see some other people there than the UT and ID crowds.

Sounds like fun, a lot like the ace race tournaments (especially this year with how similar the focus and wizard are).

They have this tournament every year, this is the first year - I think - that it is going to be up at Riverdale. I know a bunch of people who are going to it, should be a lot of fun. I think that this and a couple of their local tourneys are to help them raise $$ so they can buy better baskets (the ones they have are home made, pretty good for being such). Would be cool to see some other people there than the UT and ID crowds.

Yeah I found a website that list's this course as having several tournaments this year as fund raisers for baskets and tee pads. I'm just lucky that my job ends (heh, not what you usually hear) in 5 days and I'll be driving up to SLC to visit my mom for a week. Hopefully I'll have a couple days to play the course before the 13th to get a feel for it.

The funny thing is my next job site is out in Wendover for the rest of the year and combine that with my wife's grandparents living in Riverdale and I'll probably be around for a few of these tournaments.

Cool, the locals up there are a bunch of cool guys that really try to keep that course well maintained. You will have to check the other courses in the area, like creekside, and the one up at the U. There are also some fun ones down here in Utah County. If you can try playing Art Dye, is a fun challenging course.

I need to make a tournament were everyone has to throw Titanics, that way I can win.:D

We have a tourny in va that happens 3-4 times a year with this format. Disc changes each time. It is a blast. Basically your enty fee covers the cost of the disc. However if it is played on a really long course it could suck.

We have a tourny in va that happens 3-4 times a year with this format. Disc changes each time. It is a blast. Basically your enty fee covers the cost of the disc. However if it is played on a really long course it could suck.

Yeah this course has multiple tee's and so it can be a pitch and putt if they want it to. Heh, made sure to check on that :). But then again nowhere on their blog do they say that all holes will be played from the forward most tee. Playing from a 175 foot tee would level the playing field more so then playing from 350 feet away and only having a putter to drive with. I guess I'll find out when I get there.

here's what i see....
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=1756&mode=gal#

i see a fairly open course....

with a little bit of trust the "locals" know how to put on a competitively balance and "fun" event, it should be ok.

In fact, when i check the hole info, it could be a lot of fun. (provided you can drive with a putter.) the pictures suggest a relatively "open" course with (overally) average to short distances. I look down the list and think that everything is 2 "putt" drives plus a putt... OR "1 great putt drive" and a distance putt for birdie. * I bet they've collectively picked the putter that is the best for the course. As locals, they know.... The locals know what they are doing.

Trust in the ability and local knowledge of the "locals" to make a fun event.

Last edited:
Seems like a fair way to judge skill, everyone uses the same disc.

To an extent, maybe... (60% of the time it works all the time)

I'll have thrown the Wizard for 2 weeks, while another person may have been throwing it for months/years. I prefer other disc's for P&A, someone may thinks the wizard is the end all be all. Some people use putters a whole lot, some people just putt with them. Different people prefer disc's with different levels of stability. Some people just plain don't like beads.

That being said I'm still planning on having a blast and look at it as a challenge to try to figure out a new disc and course in 2 weeks, play in my first tournament at the same time all while being competitive and trying to win.

Of course if someone were to ask me how I would do it differently... I'm fine with the one disc thing albeit I wouldn't require everyone to play with the disc that is provided. I would say you are allowed to play with one disc of your choice on the condition that the company that made it classifies it as a P&A. Oh and here is a Wizard to help you remember the event, and so everyone gets something for their money.

We have a tourny that's a little similar to this around here but instead of just 1 disc, you play doubles and can only carry 5 discs. So a driver and putter each and then you share a disc. I think we shared the Buzzz and ended up getting second. It was alot of fun. You had to think your shots over good and do alot of shot shaping. I think it leveled the playing field out alot.

Personally, I'm holding out for the Roc versus Buzzz tournament.

I'm a Roc thrower myself. How do Buzzz throwers feel about Pro-D Buzzzes?

I like the roc v buzzz tourney idea, though I would expand it to roc v buzzz v the world and let any midrange in.

have team scores that get averaged so it doesn't matter how many are on each team plus prizes for best round and whatever.

Latest posts