• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing almost the same distance without a run up.

jmacphee9

i have been working to increase my drive distance lately, so i have been watching plenty of youtube video's to increase distance but i havent found one to help me with this problem.

ive gone to the field twice in the last week, and my drive has been hitting 300 with no x step or anything. stand still, 0-step, with drivers. i think i have decent arm speed, but my max toss with a step is only 350 on a good day, i threw one on the field 370 and i believe it is the farthest ive ever thrown a disc.

to sum it up, i can throw 290-300 with no step at all, and can max at 350 with a full X step.

is this all the step adds? how can i increase my distance by getting more of my legs, shoulders, and core into it? videos would be great. thanks for any help!

That actually sounds about right for your distance with and without the x-step. I'm not the resident teaching guru, but I'd suspect your problem to be timing and getting the elusive "hit".

i have been working to increase my drive distance lately, so i have been watching plenty of youtube video's to increase distance but i havent found one to help me with this problem.

ive gone to the field twice in the last week, and my drive has been hitting 300 with no x step or anything. stand still, 0-step, with drivers. i think i have decent arm speed, but my max toss with a step is only 350 on a good day, i threw one on the field 370 and i believe it is the farthest ive ever thrown a disc.

to sum it up, i can throw 290-300 with no step at all, and can max at 350 with a full X step.

is this all the step adds? how can i increase my distance by getting more of my legs, shoulders, and core into it? videos would be great. thanks for any help!

Reach back all the way, so your shoulders are almost facing 180 degrees from the line you want to throw. To reach back this far, your hips will have to rotate back as well to stay balanced, maybe trailing your shoulders by 45 degrees. Then as your plant foot comes down (if you are doing a run up), your hips/legs should start the rotation forward. Then your chest/shoulders, then the elbow/forearm straight across your chest, followed by the disc. The power comes from the deep reach back that causes your whole body to wind-up and store energy. Gettting this down to a smooth, natural flow is vital because it will allow you to focus all the stored energy into the moment of release.

Reach back all the way, so your shoulders are almost facing 180 degrees from the line you want to throw. To reach back this far, your hips will have to rotate back as well to stay balanced, maybe trailing your shoulders by 45 degrees. Then as your plant foot comes down (if you are doing a run up), your hips/legs should start the rotation forward. Then your chest/shoulders, then the elbow/forearm straight across your chest, followed by the disc. The power comes from the deep reach back that causes your whole body to wind-up and store energy. Gettting this down to a smooth, natural flow is vital because it will allow you to focus all the stored energy into the moment of release.

Listen to this guy.

Think of it as "loading the spring" when you twist. This helped me understand what was going on much better.

What he said.
Also what helped me was:

What Scott Papa says...the runup is not to gain any speed..its to get your body in the right position to throw...the run up can be a walk up and it shouldn't matter much, it's those last two steps to the plant...your back should be basically to your target, then plant and pullthrough....

A deep reach back isn't absolutely necessary. Watch Paul McBeth. He doesn't really "reach back", he actually rotates around his disc so that his disc ends up behind him. Hard to explain, but I started doing this and my distance increased drastically. Look up Paul McBeth slow motion on YouTube.

A deep reach back isn't absolutely necessary. Watch Paul McBeth. He doesn't really "reach back", he actually rotates around his disc so that his disc ends up behind him. Hard to explain, but I started doing this and my distance increased drastically. Look up Paul McBeth slow motion on YouTube.

On a controlled distance shot

On a max distance shot (with 360 spin)

Your right its not and its not something I can do even..the farther I reach back at this point the more it messes up my timing. At this point even a run up kind of messes with my timing

If I could find the quote on this site, it's something that Paul said about himself. I didn't pull that out of my butt. He said instead of physically reaching back, he rotates his body around the disc, which puts the disc behind him (like a reach back). This gives him more control. All words from Paul.

In that video, whether Paul is "reaching back" or moving "around the disc", he is still getting a full extension, which is needed to get the most speed on the disc. How you achieve that extension is a matter of timing with your foot plant, right before the pull through. If you have enough forward momentum, your disc can remain in one spot and your body can move around it, but if you are just taking a step or moderate run up, I think you will need to reach back to get the extension.

If you do a full reach back then make sure to only put power on the disc twords the end of your throw. If you try to muscle it from the beginning you'll actually lose distance.

Des and Jay Reading said the exact same thing when they dropped in on our league for a pre-round clinic while they were in town for DGLO. They mentioned that a longer reach back is actually counterproductive. Totally cool that they did that, and Jay even played a league round with some of local average Joes... he shot 15 down. :thmbup:

There is definitely some sort of a reach back there. Totally. Just not as deep as some of the other pros/ young guns.

I've been playing since Nov. '12 and at about the two month mark I realized that my run up was counter productive. I eliminated it and for a while all of my throws were "stand and deliver" but then I found that an X-step helped with my timing. It is a slow X-step and therefore I feel it doesn't add any distance except for helping me hit "the hit".

Curtis

If I could find the quote on this site, it's something that Paul said about himself. I didn't pull that out of my butt. He said instead of physically reaching back, he rotates his body around the disc, which puts the disc behind him (like a reach back). This gives him more control. All words from Paul.

:thmbup: Doing this helped me increase my distance also