• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing putters

adamcouture

Bogey Member
Every time I throw a putter off the tee (which is either a Lucid Judge or an Opto Pure), the following happens:

1: The more likely scenario, I try to throw a hyzer flip. But at some point, I turn my wrist over and end up throwing it short, an anhyzer, or just not getting a good throw period.
2: I get no distance whatsoever.

I definitely know that I don't need anything more stable for this shot, but just the proper technique to make this shot. What will help my cause? Everyone that I play with says that throwing putters and mids for anything under 250-300 will improve my game drastically.

Standstill drives help me in this situation, concentrating on a clean follow through. But, maybe a real expert has other ideas.

I'd definitely try using something other than a power grip at first. I'm not sure what else to tell you - you just need to practice the shot more. Focus on spinning the disc and being clean with your throw.

When it comes to big rim discs try using less fingers and a tighter grip for less drag and a cleaner release.

I LOVE throwing putters, most of my aces have come from putter shots (as they should, being thrown on shorter holes).

The best way is to get someone to come out to the field with you, and throw a putter back and forth. Start out around 40-50 ft. to warm up and then eventually as far apart as you can throw it. You'll get a lot more reps with a lot less walking this way. Also -- less time between reps for faster learning curve.

as for your scenario 1) -- you definitely can't be rolling your wrist over. Your palm should be facing down after you follow through (not facing up, indicating you rolled your wrist over).

With lots of reps you will figure this out faster than someone on the internet telling you. You'll learn what grip works for you. I use mostly a fan grip, occasionally a power grip.

I'm of the "use the same grip all the time" school of thought. But to each his own.

My suggestions is to throw at reachable targets. Don't throw it "as far as you can" to a 400' target.

My suggestions is to throw at reachable targets. Don't throw it "as far as you can" to a 400' target.

Dan gives excellent advice. Put the target within easy to moderate distance and work on getting there with efficiency. It's easier to feel the mechanics. Work towards the effortless, accurate throw.

More spin on a flat axis and less emphasis on arm speed. Putters glide for distance, they don't have to be thrown hard.

Throwing with someone and continually stepping back is a really good idea.

The best way to get good with throwing a putter for distance is field work. However, if you want to get good with your putter in general, play one or two rounds on a shorter course with just your putter. It should really make you confront the shots you aren't comfortable using it on because you have to. Too many new to intermediate players don't use their putter enough.

I definitely endorse this - especially with your putters. I had started doing fieldwork which was basically just throwing my whole bag as far as I could and I noticed that I could get more distance than I thought with my putters and mids - but it was hurting me on the course. I wasn't using the putters for those edge of my putter range shots anyways (mids @80% are more accurate than putter @100%) and I wasn't practicing accurate upshots anymore.

I have since switched over to picking varying spots and trying to park each appropriate disc from that location and only throwing for max distance more sparingly and with my drivers only. Usually it'll be something like throw a few max distance with a driver or 2 from ~275, trying to go as far past but on line with my basket. Move up a bit to ~250 and try and park my fairways....preferably on a few different lines (straight, anny, hyzer, etc). Move up to ~200-225 and try to park my mids. Move up to anywhere 150-200 and try to park my putters.

The ranges will vary greatly based on your skill, but the concept should be the same. Just pick a spot where you would use that disc on the course and try to park it. For best results mix up the location so you have to practice ranging it a bit and if you have any obstacles you can use them differently. If no obstacles - make some imaginary ones. For example I have a playset that is in the way when throwing one way in my yard - that is nice as I can force myself to throw over, left or right of it to practice different lines. On the way back it is very open but i'll set my bag down there and treat it as a mando to force the same.