• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumbers

You do realize the majority of the top touring pros will all occasionally throw a thumber right? I throw them 3-4 times a round depending on the course.

Are you saying you smack all the pros that throws them as well?

I think what he was trying to say is that he can't throw a thumber, and doesn't know anyone that can :p

I can think of several holes where I could throw thumber off the tee and probably do better than my normal shot. But I don't, because it's cheap and weak.

Of course, I don't care about score. But even if I played tournaments, I still wouldn't throw them off the tee. Call me stupid if you will, but some things are more important than score.

Grodney Sir! You are in a small minority who feel that way about thumbers. There you are wrong!:popcorn:

I can think of several holes where I could throw thumber off the tee and probably do better than my normal shot. But I don't, because it's cheap and weak.

Of course, I don't care about score. But even if I played tournaments, I still wouldn't throw them off the tee. Call me stupid if you will, but some things are more important than score.

You've yet to give support to your "cheap and weak" argument. So I'll play the 4 year old and ask "but why?"

Because it's cheap and weak -- I thought I already answered that.

But if you can sleep at night, go ahead and throw thumber.

You've answered it by saying something vague and obscure with no real supporting points or back-up. Hard to win a debate by just saying you're wrong. I'll stick with because you can't throw one.

Edit : I'm happy I reached Par status defending the thumber : )

Last edited:
ive been on many a card on a new (to me) course where every other person throws thumbers on every hole. and my thoughts are...
224544_10150410354708636_500638635_10761629_2527420_n.jpg

Last edited:

That right there is a major difference between you and the rest of us. Enough said....you don't throw them because of some twisted sense of honor and no desire to win. Its ok, someone has to be DFL.

This is not a technique thread.

I have a friend who played baseball. He has a cannon. He is a newbie frisbee golfer. He could easily throw thumber or tomahawk on several holes we play, and he would park them.

But you know why he doesn't? Because he has honor. He has integrity. He knows that frisbees were meant to fly -- not tumble through the air like projectiles. He knows thumbers are NOT cheating, just that they are cheap. For this, I respect him greatly.

What do you think?

p.s. Rollers -- now THAT'S cheating.

he's unintelligent

ive been on many a card on a new (to me) course where every other person throws thumbers on every hole. and my thoughts are...
224544_10150410354708636_500638635_10761629_2527420_n.jpg

I lol'd at the picture. And you're right, no matter what course it is, a thumber off every tee would get old, mainly because there has to be a safer line on some holes. But when a thumber is the higher percentage shot, you should throw it if you can, and bow down in amazement when someone else does if you can't

There are actually a few top pros who use the thumber as their PRIMARY drive off the tee. They have perfected the release at every angle and can get the disc to do whatever they want....Through playing in tournaments I have noticed a lot of people don't throw it, but its because they simply can't and not because they think it is a cheap shot to throw.

David, here is your solution. put vertical mandos at Stoney. not every hole but maybe some of the ones typically abused. that'll teach'em!!!

......but I hate mandos even more than thumbers!

We're patiently awaiting some trees to grow a little more and seal off a few thumber routes. For the rest, well, we'll have to leave that to the thumberers' consciences.

(The lowest blow was when Scott Wallace pointed out that we'd built a course that was "great for thumbers". Ouch! On the other hand, they do make a very satisfying splash when they miss the green and hit the pond.)

I'm also firmly against turnovers. anhyzers only. discs were meant to fly the way you throw them, not flip. I am also against throwing the highest percentage shot for each hole.

I'll have to get to Stoney Hill before it becomes thumber proofed. A round without at least one thumber is like, ...well I'll save that thought. don't want to get the mods all worked up today. Let's just say it would be no fun.

......but I hate mandos even more than thumbers!

We're patiently awaiting some trees to grow a little more and seal off a few thumber routes. For the rest, well, we'll have to leave that to the thumberers' consciences.

(The lowest blow was when Scott Wallace pointed out that we'd built a course that was "great for thumbers". Ouch! On the other hand, they do make a very satisfying splash when they miss the green and hit the pond.)

U gotta a lotta hates in u Dave.....

Latest posts