• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL3 - Evolution of the TL

Tossed my Halo TL3 a couple times this morning during my round. It definitely doesn't glide as long as my Star TL3, but the fade is still a gentle fade. 8/4/0/1 as opposed to 8/5/-.5/1.

I was worried it'd be as overstable as my Teebird becasue its PLH is so high, but that's not the case. Definitely doesn't' dump as hard as a Star Teebird.

Anyone throwing Star TL3's in the lower 160g's?

My max weight Star is still too HSS for me to get a long laser hyzer flip on a BH. I'm going to try & see if scaling back the grams helps.

I like the profile of the TL3 so much & haven't clicked with the Leopard3 or Zombee to get that straight BH flight.

My Star TL3 is 165 and still relatively new. For reference I can toss a goldline ballista pro in the 160s around 350-375, and my longest rips on my TL3 have been 320-335.

If I give the TL3 a slight hyzer, it will show some pop up to flat, but it will still have a good amount of subtle fade in the latter third of its flight. If thrown flat and hard, I can get it on a baby s curve. It definitely still has a healthy amount of HSS, but it isn't completely turn resistant when thrown flat. However I would say it is turnover resistant when thrown flat, unless thrown into a headwind. The 8/5/-.5/1 on my post above is my subjective flight rating for my particular 165 star tl3.

Last edited:
Anyone throwing Star TL3's in the lower 160g's?

My max weight Star is still too HSS for me to get a long laser hyzer flip on a BH. I'm going to try & see if scaling back the grams helps.

I like the profile of the TL3 so much & haven't clicked with the Leopard3 or Zombee to get that straight BH flight.

I have a 166 Star TL3 that I bought used and is probably around a 7/10.

It is dead straight when I throw it with a touch of hyzer.

Also great for big anny shots as it holds the turn but won't burn on you.

My blue halo 173-175 TL3s fly like a new 12x champ teebird. Very OS and I'm excited for them to break in, but also, not replacing a C-FD anytime soon

Ordered a Madison Walker TL3 just to see how they came out. It arrived today and I was able to get out to throw it in a field. First impressions were not good honestly. The rim is more convex than other TL3s I've seen and feels worse in the hand because of it (personal opinion).

It's pretty stiff and actually quite overstable for a TL3. I compared it to two Star TL3s (168-170g) and one Halo Star (170g). It was more overstable than the Halo, which is a relatively new disc too. At the end I threw my 165g Royal Rage for the hell of it and I even got a straighter flight out of that compared to the MW TL3.

With the light weight, I'm sure it will work into something nice for someone, but this session is all I needed to pass on this one.

I too was disappointed with the Madison tl3's. Above poster is correct the wing is very different from your normal tl/tl3. It also seemed to have a sharper nose when compared to my other tl3 on hand. I could tell that it was going to stable and when I threw them today I was 100% correct. It threw extremely stable compared to any tl3 I've tossed. For reference I throw my fairways about 350. Perhaps they beefed them up to compensate for the light weight. In my opinion, the mold was tweaked around with for this release.

Also, for what it's worth I received two discs with absolutely no swirls. One baby crap green with a jelly bean stamp and one babyish/gray blue with red foil. The most bland discs you could of asked for... at the very least I hope Madison gets a good chunk of the sale.

I really try to give innova the benefit of the doubt, but they always seem to prove me wrong... I'm not sure why stuff always needs to be tweaked around with. Not the place I suppose, but man I am about one more unhappy purchase from just giving up on them for good.

I too was disappointed with the Madison tl3's. Above poster is correct the wing is very different from your normal tl/tl3. It also seemed to have a sharper nose when compared to my other tl3 on hand. I could tell that it was going to stable and when I threw them today I was 100% correct. It threw extremely stable compared to any tl3 I've tossed. For reference I throw my fairways about 350. Perhaps they beefed them up to compensate for the light weight. In my opinion, the mold was tweaked around with for this release.

Also, for what it's worth I received two discs with absolutely no swirls. One baby crap green with a jelly bean stamp and one babyish/gray blue with red foil. The most bland discs you could of asked for... at the very least I hope Madison gets a good chunk of the sale.

I really try to give innova the benefit of the doubt, but they always seem to prove me wrong... I'm not sure why stuff always needs to be tweaked around with. Not the place I suppose, but man I am about one more unhappy purchase from just giving up on them for good.

Mine actually came in pretty nice swirly colors. The best TL3 is the stock star, so on the special releases I suppose we can't expect them to be quite the same, especially when geared towards a touring player's specific needs/wants.

Looking for opinions on lighter weight TL3's. Especially G* in the 155-165g weight range. I've seen people saying that the lighter Madison Walker's are pretty os. My max weights are certainly to os for my BH sometimes. I was thinking the lower weight G*'s could be worth checking out.

A star that weighed 165g has been my absolute favorite straight fairway driver. For reference, I throw around 330-370 with a distance driver, and the 165g star tl3 for me is dead straight with a very, very slight finish at the end. If you throw it hard enough, it will demonstrate a baby s-curve and finish straight. For your average controlled golf shot with 70-80% power, it went straight and finished for me at around 300 feet. I've read that the madison walkers are OS because their underwings aren't straight, but concave.

Threw a couple TLs for the first time last night. I read through most of this thread to familiarize myself with the general stability thoughts of TL vs TL3 and in the various plastic types. In summary, it seems like general consensus is as follows:

1. TL3 is slightly less stable than TL
2. Plastic stability spectrum is G* < Champ < Star for both molds
3. Lighter doesn't necessarily mean less stable, as the Madison Tour Series 157g-160g discs came out surprisingly beefy.

Is this an accurate summary? And if so, what would you recommend as the least stable TL or TL3 out of the box? I would assume a lightweight G* TL3, but would like to hear from the crowd. Also, has anyone thrown low 160's Stars that are not the Tour Series version and, if so, how do they fly?

I just got a max weight champ tl3 in today for my bag. I've been looking for a neutral fairway driver forever now for my aqua bag. Based on my experience with the Star tl3 I threw previously, I would say this new champ tl3 isn't really anymore OS. It's so crazy straight for like 90% of its flight, and then has a baby fade at the end. I don't think it's more flippy than a Star TL3 though.

I've never touched TLs, because I just don't like domy stuff in general. I was under the assumption that FDs were flippier than the TL lineup, but my only experience with an FD is a poptop champ FD, and it might as well be a Teebird.

Threw a couple TLs for the first time last night. I read through most of this thread to familiarize myself with the general stability thoughts of TL vs TL3 and in the various plastic types. In summary, it seems like general consensus is as follows:

3. Lighter doesn't necessarily mean less stable, as the Madison Tour Series 157g-160g discs came out surprisingly beefy.

Is this an accurate summary? And if so, what would you recommend as the least stable TL or TL3 out of the box? I would assume a lightweight G* TL3, but would like to hear from the crowd. Also, has anyone thrown low 160's Stars that are not the Tour Series version and, if so, how do they fly?

I've always avoided TL's because for a long time they had super gross domes, like a leopard almost but wouldn't hold a forced turn to the ground. Just a weird disc... I preferred leopards that'd actually hold turns and straighter tee birds.

As far as TL3's go, I've thrown early run gstars in the upper 160s that started surprisingly beefy then mellowed out...never got flippy just started out with more fade than expected and it died off. Got a stack of upper 160s to low 170s pearly champs, flat, gummy, and awesome. Kinda beefy to start but beat into laser beams. Only experience with stars were a couple I handled in store, and they weren't overly flat. I'm guessing that's why people say they're beefier. Not nearly as domey as any traditional TL's I'd seen recently, but not nearly as flat as I'd expect a "3" top to be. Hard pass

Kinda sounds like you're looking for a magic bullet though. I'd say go fondle up some plastic, see what feels right in your hand and compare PLH between a few. You'll know it when you feel it.

Kinda sounds like you're looking for a magic bullet though. I'd say go fondle up some plastic, see what feels right in your hand and compare PLH between a few. You'll know it when you feel it.

Unfortunately, our local shop is very small. I was spoiled when I lived 20 minutes from discstore.com's warehouse and could go fondle plastic whenever I wanted. I am stuck doing online ordering most of the time now.

I've thrown a 168g Star and 168g Champ TL3 and the Champ was less stable. Every disc is different, but that's the one experience I've had. Unrelated to stability, but I ended up choosing Star as my go-to plastic for the TL3 just because I like the grip better. I throw different plastics for different molds, and Star just works better for me with this one.

This last year I picked out a couple 8/4/-1/1 stock stamped new Star TL3s that are flat & great neutral flyers. The first stock run of Champion was a bit pearly (half luster blend?) and quite flat (8/4/-1/1 flight numbers stamped) with really similar flight to the new Star ones. I think both of these premium plastic runs are from 2019 & 2020.

The first run Star I bought at release has more dome and is stamped 8/4/0/1 and flew close to those numbers. So Innova felt the need to make the TL3 more neutral and adjusted something in the production of the recent runs, maybe trying to get the flight they got initially with the TL3 in GStar blend. Could be a retool to create a flatter top to share with the now stock Wysocki Champion Teebird3 (also more neutral recent runs)? I think they did a good job with it, really enjoy throwing these new ones for 330' - 370' dead straight shots.

Anyone have experience and can do a comparison of the base glow DX & regular DX TL3/Teebird/Teebird3s/Eagle X? Always looking for beginner friendly fairway to recommend for more athletic players that will remain useful a bit longer.

just ordered a mason ford star tl3 to try out, hoping its fairly stable

Latest posts