• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Course In Every State Heading Into 2020

DiscinOhio

Bogey Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
It's a new year, and there are now 6,000+ courses in the United States! Here's a list of the best courses in every state according to their rating on the site. Feel free to discuss below!

Alabama: The Admiral (4.32)
Alaska: Kincaid Park (4.31)
Arizona: Arizona Snowbowl (3.88)
Arkansas: Old Post DGC (4.30)
California: Birds of Paradise (4.65)
Colorado: Bucksnort DGC (4.77)
Connecticut: Wickham Park (4.20)
Delaware: Iron Hill (4.29)
Florida: Picnic Island DGC (4.36)
Georgia: Hobbs Farm Park (4.66)
Hawaii: Kahului DGC (2.97)
Idaho: Lake Walcott State Park (4.17)
Illinois: Fairfield Park (4.59)
Indiana: Prides Creek State Park (4.45)
Iowa: Wildcat Bluff (4.64)
Kansas: Jones Park- West (4.21)
Kentucky: Idlewild (4.76)
Louisiana: Lake Claiborne SP- Whitetail (4.59)
Maine: Sabattus Disc Golf- Eagle (4.70)
Maryland: Seneca Creek State Park (4.26)
Massachusetts: 501 Disc Golf (4.71)
Michigan: Flip City Disc Golf Park (4.84)
Minnesota: Blue Ribbon Pines DGC (4.71)
Mississippi: Ross Barnett Reservoir - The Rez (4.10)
Missouri: Harmony Bends DGC (4.90)
Montana: Blue Mountain (4.12)
Nebraska: Cottonmill DGC (4.06)
Nevada: Zephyr Cove Park (4.31)
New Hampshire: Salmon Falls (4.08)
New Jersey: Stafford Woods (4.22)
New Mexico: Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort (4.38)
New York: Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park (4.56)
North Carolina: Ashe County Park (4.47)
North Dakota: General Sibley Park (3.77)
Ohio: Deis Hill Park (4.13)
Oklahoma: The Lodge - Island Course (4.50)
Oregon: Riverbend DGC (4.62)
Pennsylvania: Muddy Run DGC (4.67)
Rhode Island: Willow Valley (3.54)
South Carolina: Langley Pond DiscGolfPark (4.57)
South Dakota: Spearfish Canyon Disc Golf (4.57)
Tennessee: Harmon Hills (4.73)
Texas: Selah Ranch - Lakeside (4.85)
Utah: Base Camp Adventure Lodge DGC (4.53)
Vermont: Smugglers Notch - Brewster Ridge (4.63)
Virginia: Hawk Hollow - Plentiful Creek (4.73)
Washington: Shelton Springs (4.44)
West Virginia: Whippin' Post (4.41)
Wisconsin: Rollin Ridge (4.79)
Wyoming: Casper DGC (3.77)

It's a new year, and there are now 6,000+ courses in the United States! Here's a list of the best courses in every state according to their rating on the site. Feel free to discuss below!

Alabama: The Admiral (4.32)
Alaska: Kincaid Park (4.31)
Arizona: Arizona Snowbowl (3.88)
California: Birds of Paradise (4.65)
Colorado: Bucksnort DGC (4.77)
Florida: Picnic Island DGC (4.36)
Georgia: Hobbs Farm Park (4.66)
Hawaii: Kahului DGC (2.97)
Idaho: Lake Walcott State Park (4.17)
Illinois: Fairfield Park (4.59)
Indiana: Prides Creek State Park (4.45)
Iowa: Wildcat Bluff (4.64)
Kansas: Jones Park- West (4.21)
Kentucky: Idlewild (4.76)
Louisiana: Lake Claiborne SP- Whitetail (4.59)
Massachusetts: 501 Disc Golf (4.71)
Mississippi: Ross Barnett Reservoir - The Rez (4.10)
Montana: Blue Mountain (4.12)
Nebraska: Cottonmill DGC (4.06)
New Jersey: Stafford Woods (4.22)
New Mexico: Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort (4.38)
New York: Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park (4.56)
North Dakota: General Sibley Park (3.77)
Oklahoma: The Lodge - Island Course (4.50)
Oregon: Riverbend DGC (4.62)
Rhode Island: Willow Valley (3.54)
South Dakota: Spearfish Canyon Disc Golf (4.57)
Texas: Selah Ranch - Lakeside (4.85)
Utah: Base Camp Adventure Lodge DGC (4.53)
Washington: Shelton Springs (4.44)
Wisconsin: Rollin Ridge (4.79)
Wyoming: Casper DGC (3.77)

I've been privileged enough to play three of the courses listed. Deis Hill (Ohio), Flip City (Michigan), and Idlewild (Kentucky).

6 so far. Hopefully 2 next year

Seven here (Iron Hill, Picnic Island, Harmony Bends, the Lodge, Harmon Hills, Selah Lakeside, and Whippin' Post). I hit up 3 of those in the past 4 months and had at least 2 narrow misses.

I also feel like I should get half credit for PA. Is Muddy Run's 4.67 really superior to Moraine's 4.66 (or Deer Lakes' 4.64)? I just one more review. Any takers? Just one 4.0 oughta do it!

Out of curiosity, what was your cutoff on number of reviews? 20?

Why does Warwick Park an almost nothing course get so high? Simply due to all people from NYC playing that course as the ONLY course they have ever played. The other one yeah it deserves to be that high for a course having see it online the Steel course scares me having looked up that course. Just looking online at Warwick is just a City park without even tee markers meaning you have to play from the previous basket to the next basket except the first hole having a small tee marker. Reading online here in the reviews of players getting hit trying to make an 18 holes into 35 holes. That is if I am thinking of the right course, closest to NYC.

Seven here (Iron Hill, Picnic Island, Harmony Bends, the Lodge, Harmon Hills, Selah Lakeside, and Whippin' Post). I hit up 3 of those in the past 4 months and had at least 2 narrow misses.

I also feel like I should get half credit for PA. Is Muddy Run's 4.67 really superior to Moraine's 4.66 (or Deer Lakes' 4.64)? I just one more review. Any takers? Just one 4.0 oughta do it!

Muddy Run at 4.67 is criminal; doubly so to be labeled better than Moraine or Deer Lakes.

Why does Warwick Park an almost nothing course get so high? Simply due to all people from NYC playing that course as the ONLY course they have ever played. The other one yeah it deserves to be that high for a course having see it online the Steel course scares me having looked up that course. Just looking online at Warwick is just a City park without even tee markers meaning you have to play from the previous basket to the next basket except the first hole having a small tee marker. Reading online here in the reviews of players getting hit trying to make an 18 holes into 35 holes. That is if I am thinking of the right course, closest to NYC.
There are three courses at Warwick with Brakewell Steel being the first and probably still best of the three, pioneering the dual tee/dual basket layout with animal motif ironworks tee markers. Wolfe Woods came next as a Memorial to Scott Wolfe, who provided significant help to develop the Brakewell course. Wolfe Woods is a volunteer effort and hasn't yet gotten the financing and support needed to complete the course to the level of Brakewell. The Oasis is Brakewell designer, Dan Doyle's private facility still being built but well on the way to match the flexibility and eventually provide nicer amenities than the Brakewell course.

I've played six: Harmon Hills (TN), Hobbs Farm (GA), Iron Hill (DE), Seneca Creek (MD), Harmony Bends (MO) and Idlewild (KY).

I'm surprised that the overrated Seneca Creek is the "best" in Maryland; the second-highest course, Ditto Farms, is better, IMO. I'd like to play the other 4.0+ courses in Maryland to be convinced. :)

Hoping to add Ashe County Park (NC) to the list in 2020.

Muddy Run at 4.67 is criminal; doubly so to be labeled better than Moraine or Deer Lakes.

I'll withhold judgement until I get to play it, but Pennsylvania's 2 and 3 have certainly cemented their place, justifiably, in the US top 20.

I'm curious, what is your top course in MD and in VA?

11 ...so far.
Can't believe I've played 20+ courses in both OH and FL, but haven't made it out to Deis Hill or Picnic Island.

Still need to play Muddy Run, but my thought was, "If it's better than those two, then it's one helluva course."

Last edited:
MD

I'll withhold judgement until I get to play it, but Pennsylvania's 2 and 3 have certainly cemented their place, justifiably, in the US top 20.

Not sure if there is clearly a best course in MD. Patapsco and Seneca certainly deserve consideration, as does lesser-known/newer Mill Brook. Others might suggest Ditto, or Woodsboro, or Turkey Hill, or Kinder, or ... you get the idea.

Lots of good courses, all fairly different from each other.

I've been fortunate enough to play 2 of the top courses, Sipapu and Selah Ranch. Out of the 60+ courses I've thrown in the southern states, Sipapu and Selah Ranch are by far and away top tier/must play courses. My goal is to hit Maple Hills, Bucksnort, and Idlewild in the foreseeable future. :thmbup:

Played 22, designed one of them and advised on two others. Sabattus, Smugglers and Blue Ribbon might have the best amenities, each in their own way.

I try to address my reviews primarily from the perspective of design--did the designer utilize the space effectively and safely for the intended user group, and does it reward good play? Secondarily is equipment (teepads, baskets, signage) appropriate, and is it well-maintained? I try to view it this way because the equipment and maintenance are a snapshot of the time(s) I've been there, but the design is the lasting and critical part. A beautifully manicured landscape can be squandered in many ways, while 9 holes on a postage stamp can be made fun and interesting for a local group (see Gregg Hosfeld's article in Winter 2020 discgolfer).

Off the top of my head (and I'll add some commentary on PA too):

MD:
1. Seneca Creek SP--27 holes, variety, challenge, holes have room to breathe, incredibly well maintained. This is far and away the best course in the state and I believe I've played all serious contenders. Improvements desired are all infrastructure--continue updating teepads, baskets, and signage, while maintaining existing fairway conditions (which is a challenge on its own). I'd call it the high side of a 4.5.
2. Patapsco-- Which I still believe has the fatal flaws of throwing over/beside park roads on 6 holes, the four parallel holes on the back that invite interference from other fairways, nearly every hole long to long being a tweener for pros (the intended user group), and having poor landing zones on the nominally multi-shot holes. I think some of that is not aging well from disc technology, but also apathy/ignorance from the park and their unwillingness to install more permanent teepads/signage. I reviewed it as a 4.
3. It's a LONG way back to any other course in MD. Druid Hill, Turkey Hill, Scarboro, and Ditto I guess are the others I'd consider here, but I would hesitate to give any of them a 3.5 for various reasons. Perhaps the forthcoming redesign of Rockburn would change something here?

VA (caveats, have mostly played northern part, haven't played Lake Marshall or Clarks Run, pretty much just go here for tournaments):
1. Hawk Hollow (haven't played USWDGC layout, I'm choosing to willfully ignore infrastructure limitations). An example of having a great canvas AND maximizing the design.
2. Loriella (I wish it was harder but I only actively dislike 1 hole and that's really rare for me)
3. Blockhouse (almost all par 3 golf, and some flat-out dumb holes, but also a continuous test of precision)
4. Waller Mill (teepads and baskets aren't great, recall a couple dumb gaps, haven't been in a year or so)
5. New Quarter (would be much higher if it wasn't so tweener-heavy and a couple holes had more sensible lines)
6. Greenfield (probably higher but I ran through in like an hour when it was still pretty new)
7. Giles Run (begrudgingly, and pending reconfiguration), Walnut Creek, Rockland, Dorey

PA (caveats, pretty much go here for tournaments):
1/2: Moraine/Deer Lakes. It took me so dang long to figure out how to play Moraine and now I love it. Both of these courses are hard and diverse. I'd call them both 4.75s because there are few things I hate but ultimately would round to 5 because I'm not that mean-spirited.
3. Nockamixon. Teepads are terrible. If the teepads weren't terrible this course would be a 5. Also if they would line their ding-dang water features for consistency. Also pending reopening from emerald ash borer closure.
4. Linbrook. Fight me. This course design kept me interested throughout. The teepads and signage are terrible.
5. I think that concludes the courses I really love in PA. Second tier includes Tyler (haven't been in a couple years since it got ravaged by emerald ash borer too, but never bought it as a top-10 worldwide course by design, just maintenance), Jordan Creek (haven't been in 3 years and it's changed since), Camp Sankanac (which has really fun and interesting design but is rarely open and lacks good teepads and signage).

Still need to play Muddy Run, but my thought was, "If it's better than those two, then it's one helluva course."

It gets a LOT of rave reviews from people who are amazed by elevation. Some of the shots are pretty cool and unique to the area. I think they missed the boat on creating landing zones on the multi-shot holes and that drives me bats, because it disincentivizes good golf planning and execution.

Not sure if there is clearly a best course in MD. Patapsco and Seneca certainly deserve consideration, as does lesser-known/newer Mill Brook. Others might suggest Ditto, or Woodsboro, or Turkey Hill, or Kinder, or ... you get the idea.

Lots of good courses, all fairly different from each other.

Maryland is WAY behind many adjacent states in terms of professionalism and good sense of course design. I think the path forward to fixing that involves a more unified statewide front rather than the local clubs all fighting for their own course and area. I think that would offer more lobbying power to show disc golf as a useful part of parks. The next step is persuading agencies to pay for professional course design and installation. Some of this is a challenge because of high land costs and most parks already being established near the population centers.

I just used the "top courses" tab on the site and pulled the top course from each state. I believe a course has to have 11 reviews to get on the list.

I suppose I should've listed mine.

Rollin Ridge (WI)
Blue Ribbon Pines (MN)
Fairfield (IL)
Wildcat Bluff (IA)
Idlewild (KY)
Flip City (MI)

Hopefully 2 more next summer. Harmony Bends (MO) and Jones East or West, I forget which one it was, in Kansas.

As far as discussion, I can't argue with Wildcat Bluff, Idlewild or Flip City being top rated. I've only played a handful in each of those states though. I personally like Highbridge Hill's Blueberry and Gold better than Rollin Ridge, probably Granite Ridge too. Not to take anything away from RR though. Awesome course in it's own right. Fairfield is a great course, my second favorite in IL, but the Canyons is far superior IMO. Both excellent courses though. Blue Ribbon is a great course but I would say Bethel University is actually better. I haven't played Bryant Lake yet (somehow) but it sounds like it could give BRP a run for it's money.

Is no one seeing the "top courses in each state" drop down box on the "top courses" tab? What a great feature! Not sure if it's new but I didn't notice it until recently.