• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Top ten worst discs made by innova/discraft

It's trendy to hate it, that's all.

It's not that bad of a disc. They're pretty long, straight and controllable in calm conditions. People just jumped on the bandwagon that started when someone said they mold up inconsistently. They do, but so do a lot of Innovas discs, some worse than the Groove from my experience (Katana, Destroyer etc.).

At this point it's nothing more than a meme imo.

I actually liked the first few grooves that I had. My first was a upper 160s pinkish red color that was nice and flat...disc flew laser straight a long way. The eco star grooves weren't too bad either, I had a black one that I really liked. Some of the later ones I tossed though were massively overstable, and I had a few buddies with flippy ones. I think the variation of molding is going to be noticed more with a faster, wider rimmed discs. That paired with the groove along the bottom wing just make an easy disc to poke fun of. I remember throwing flat star katanas down in the 160s from the first production run that were insanely overstable and others that were fliptastic.

It's funny how molds that people like get praised for being versatile...which is a nice way of saying you accept the variation in molding. Destroyers seem to be the worst offender. Some people like them super beefy, some super flippy, some right in the middle. It's great if you want to be a mold minimalist, but a nightmare if you are interested in checking one out for the first time.

This thread is ridiculous. Its really just, "what are your least favorite discs?"

Rhynos, Rocs, Rattlers, even a DX Aviar....what are you guys smoking? In no universe are these discs "bad."

I sit back and ask why? The teerex has a ton of glide and breaks in to be super sweet. Why not substitute the FL, that's a POS disc.
The FL does suck, but at least you know what it is. You don't know if you're getting a TeeRex X or L mold, same with the Monster and some others. So I think that's a little dodgy. Plus, when it came out it was supposed to be an overstable wind fighter and it isn't. It's really speed stable and when they break in they are garbage IMO, or at least there are several discs that are better in that role (similar to an FL). It also failed to live up to the (unfair) expectations people had of a "faster Teebird."
whats wrong with the groove?
To quote Frank Delicious, "each Groove is a unique snowflake of suck." No two Grooves are really the same. That's true of most discs but for Grooves it's really, really true. :\

i'm not a fan of how some of their molds are labeled individually (starfire vs sl, firebird vs fl, teebird vs tl) and others aren't (monster and eagle), and things are going to get worse with plus molds. i understand that depending on how the disc cools that some rim slanting is possible, but there have been molds that were actually plus molded not stamped as such (c pds and tds).

i think part of the reason that a lot of this happens is due to the way discs are approved. once a mold is submitted and approved it can be changed as long as a structural feature is not removed or added. the example the pdga uses is adding a bead to a disc. "structural feature" sounds a bit vague to me. personally i think changing the mold of the disc by using a different rim or wing justifies a separate disc, and should have to be approved as one.

1. Monster
2. Groove
3. Teedevil
4. Monarch
5. Star Aviar
6. Phenix
7. Ape
8. Birdie
9. Hawk
10. Wahoo

I have a Birdie and it is the biggest piece of crap I have ever purchased. A close second is the horrific #1 Lightning Hyzer. I've seen bricks with more glide than these POS'. Oh I donno...the Hyzer might be okay if I happen to be playing during a hurricane.

I have a Birdie and it is the biggest piece of crap I have ever purchased. A close second is the horrific #1 Lightning Hyzer. I've seen bricks with more glide than these POS'. Oh I donno...the Hyzer might be okay if I happen to be playing during a hurricane.

Oops...I forgot about the OP's "Innova and Discraft Only" requisite. So ignore the Lightning comment. :wall:

so at the course last week there were 2 guys searching for their newest purchase.. turned out it was a Groove. Everyone I was playing with just rolled our eyes and said it was the best thing that could have happened to him.

1. R-Pro Boss
2. Elite X Xpress
3. Zepplin (any plastic)
3. Star Dart
4. 150 Pro-D Surge
5. DX Orc
6. ESP Pulse
7. Elite X Nuke
8. Champ Aviar
9. Champ Mako
10. Any dark green disc

Please not that many of these are good molds, but the plastic on them makes them a bad fit.

Hmmmmm.......Although some (very few) elite players are known for carrying overstable plastic......."Cale Leveiska would come to mind first". I would venture to take a guess that most of them don't. All very overstable discs do is cover up flaws in your technique.

Ask Climo what he throws on a hole that doglegs hard left........I would be willing to bet that he's probably got some beat to piss roadrunner or eagle. Overstable discs just want to get to the ground quicker. Understable discs "when people learn how to throw properly" hold better longer lines......sure its not easy to throw them like that because it takes near flawless technique.......Sure you might need something more stable to throw in the wind........but I would put my money on the fact that you will never ever ever ever see.......the nuke OS, The ape or any other meathook out there as the long distance record.........IMO

The Viper held the distance record for sometime in the 90's, but I assume that's because it was probably a beat to **** DX one (those thing are straight $ for flex shots)

I actually love the Nuke OS. It's long and very reliable.

1. groove
2. esp zeppelin
2. Wahoo -
3. Wolf
4. DX Polecat
5. glide
6.archangel
7. eclipse
8.coyote
9. dragon
10. xpress
-

1. Groove 2.kite 3. Dragon 4. Skeeter 5. Vulcan/destroyer thing 6. Any thing blizzard 7. Roadrunner 8. Rpro pig 9. Rwood roc 10. Z hornet ..............11. Any rpro or rwood disc seriously this is pure junk plastic

The FL does suck, but at least you know what it is. You don't know if you're getting a TeeRex X or L mold, same with the Monster and some others. So I think that's a little dodgy. Plus, when it came out it was supposed to be an overstable wind fighter and it isn't. It's really speed stable and when they break in they are garbage IMO, or at least there are several discs that are better in that role (similar to an FL). It also failed to live up to the (unfair) expectations people had of a "faster Teebird."

To quote Frank Delicious, "each Groove is a unique snowflake of suck." No two Grooves are really the same. That's true of most discs but for Grooves it's really, really true. :\

The FL is an excellent disc for real.

1. R-Pro Boss
2. Elite X Xpress
3. Zepplin (any plastic)
3. Star Dart
4. 150 Pro-D Surge
5. DX Orc
6. ESP Pulse
7. Elite X Nuke
8. Champ Aviar
9. Champ Mako
10. Any dark green disc

Please not that many of these are good molds, but the plastic on them makes them a bad fit.

Yea, who throws a champ Aviar?

Latest posts