• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

torn rotator cuff.

billpratt71

Just diagnosed with torn rotator cuff today. On 8th hole today just lost all strength in right arm. It's been getting worse but today blew it out. So bummed. Been playing about a year. (42 years old). My 2 boys and all my buddies play. My favorite thing to do in life. (One of them. Haha). Anyone have a good encouraging story of a rotator cuff "recovery". Feeling depressed. So bummed.:wall::doh:

Dang man, that's a bummer. I'm sorry to hear that. Just rest, relax and you'll be back in no time.....think positive. My advice would be to make sure you don't rush your way back because you love the sport, think longterm and don't risk re-injury. Keep your head up.

Sorry to hear that - on the bright side - haven't you wanted to work on your LHBH for those R>L shots?

Bummer. Just start playing short courses with your off hand. It will suck at first but you'll get better. Then when you heal you'll be a bad ass.

I've got a torn labrum, but fortunately it is in my off arm. Once I screw up my good arm I am screwed.

Man, sorry to hear that.

I've rehabbed from two pretty bad disc issues and I know what it's like to want to play and not be able to. Lots of YouTube got me through. Best advice is stick to the PT and make sure your nutrition is in line. Give your body all the advantages you can to heal. Lots of sleep will help too, that's when your body repairs itself.

I didn't do all those things with my first injury and the healing process was much shorter the second time because I went all out.

Hang in there, you'll appreciate it a lot when you finally get to throw again.

Best advice is stick to the PT and make sure your nutrition is in line. Give your body all the advantages you can to heal. Lots of sleep will help too, that's when your body repairs itself.

This ^^^^ - Great advice!! It's all about nutrition and rest.

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll get out there and try lefty in a couple weeks. Hadn't really thought of that. Would be bad ass to have that in the bag. I know this isn't permanent and there are much bigger problems in the world and I have a ton to be grateful for in my life, BUT, this winter has sucked here in Maryland and spring is soooo close. You know what im saying. I'm just venting I guess. Thanks again guys.

Sorry to hear it man, but just tell yourself you'll be stronger when you come back. I broke my back a couple years ago, and I still play disc golf and snowboard.

I tore my rotator cuff as well two years ago. I healed up and still play very often, but thumbers/tomahawks are off the dinner plate. I don't throw flicks as often either. On a bright note backhand shots don't hurt at all and you can play very well competitively without those other shots. Hang in there, rest is key!
Good luck!

Sorry to hear it, brother. I've been nursing some shoulder problems myself: they'd been very minor until a three-round Sunday a few weeks ago, when it really flared up. I tried playing on it once after that, then putting on it a few days later, both of which were no-nos. Since then I've done nothing except occasionally grip a disc or putt a few times into a chair.

It's killing me, of course. Today was a gorgeous 70 degrees, blue skies and no wind. Perfect disc golf weather. As my shoulder's been on the upswing I considered going out. But, I don't want to mess with it. I want it to be healed and done with. Rushing back is only going to keep this problem in my life for longer. As much as I'd rather play, I can find other hobbies to keep me busy until it's healed.

Good luck and quick healing to us both.

Sorry about the injury. Looks like the summer on the shelf and likely surgery. Don't continue to do damage, the shoulder is a complex joint with more parts to jack up. Rehab is your friend, it hurts, it takes time, but the work will pay off. Good luck with all of it.

I tore my rotator cuff as well two years ago. I healed up and still play very often, but thumbers/tomahawks are off the dinner plate. I don't throw flicks as often either. On a bright note backhand shots don't hurt at all and you can play very well competitively without those other shots. Hang in there, rest is key!
Good luck!

I'm in this boat, too. I can throw a thumber or tommy under 150' if need be, but nothing I have to put any power in to. I can throw backhand as hard as I want, though, which keeps me in the game. Good luck to the OP for a speedy recovery.

My dad had Rotator Cuff surgery about 4 weeks ago. Still had the brace on his throwing arm and he went out today and played with his opposite hand. Shot pretty well actually and minus a couple of really bad throws (first time I have ever seen a disc actually thrown backwards without hitting anything) he did really good. All of that to say, you'll recover. Tournament season may have to wait for next year, but you are not done playing disc golf and if you really get the bug, you can always go play with your off hand.

I tore my rotator cuff years ago playing tennis. Had the surgery, healed up and returned to tennis, but always with a little pain. Finally, I quit tennis and began to enjoy sleeping through the night without pain. A few years back, I tried disc golf, but do to bad form (rounding my shots) I found the shoulder pain building again. Recently I began throwing discs again and learned to pull the disc through close to my chest and everything is fine. If I try to throw hard thumbers or a lot of forehands, though, I will definitely begin feel it. I still try to practice a limited number of forehands every day so I have the shot for recovery and those holes where a forehand is the perfect line.

Take your time with the recovery, you'll get back. In the meantime, have fun being a lefty.

I've had multiple dislocations, rotator cuff and labrum issues, a fractured shoulder socket, damage to all the tendons and ligaments, one surgery, and residual pain in my shoulder blade. Hence the username. I quit in '99 after my surgery because I re-dislocated almost immediately. I started playing again last summer and backhand is not an issue. I will never throw backhand sky rollers or overhand again, but I can forehand if I'm smooth and slow and not trying to kill it.
Do the rehab. Get the rest. And when you come back...Do it SLOWLY. It can certainly be done, but you have to do it right

Sorry to hear of your injury. I did some damage to a disc in my spine that prevented me from throwing with my right arm so I tried to throw lefty. It actually worked out pretty well and now I that my right arm is back 100% I have that lefty option if needed.

there's still hope...

Good luck!

I'm 35 and before I discovered disc golf I tore my rotator cuff when I was 30 playing ultimate. I saw my doctor who prescribed PT (surgery is rare for this condition) and I was back playing ultimate before I could even lift my arm over my head (I might've left that detail out speaking with the doc).

Since the injury my experience has been exactly the same as "Terry44": backhands are pain free, forehands are very doable but I overhand with extreme caution. The silver lining of your dark shoulder cloud is that this sport is very forgiving of rotator cuff injuries - if I try to throw a baseball I'm in pain for at least a week.

Keep strengthening the shoulder even after you're pain free and you'll seldom be sidelined by this in the future.

Two years ago I broke my leg and severely sprained my ankle playing disc golf. I was out for 3 months, then a gimp for a while trying to get strength back.

I would say what others said, work on your left arm as long as it doesn't hinder your rehab on the right. Play some shorter courses. Work on technique with your left and be a badass with both shots!

My 64 yr old dad went through it about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Took 6 months to recover after surgery. On the bright side, as he was recovering a BH hurt to throw but a FH didn't. He developed a much better FH than me and throws FH off the tee now for more distance. He's great now, better putter too, hang in there. Just don't start playing too soon and really get into your physical therapy exercises.

Edit: I see other peoples experiences are different from my dad's so take so...

Last edited:

Latest posts