• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Toro

Picked up a couple soft plastic Toro releases over the past couple months.
First up is the XG (Gummy) Champion Toro off of DGV. I like the soft & gummy flexible feel of this premium plastic and it has held up to some tree hits better than I expected for how soft it feels. Flight really hasn't changed with a month of rounds probably throwing it on most FH approaches.

Second is the new R-Pro Toro I got off DGU (F2s here) delivered yesterday. 1 round in and I think it will beat in to take over my stable Rat position ITB eventually. Right now it is pretty close to the given flight numbers for the Toro. This R-Pro Toro matches the R-Pro stiffness of recent stock Pigs. I've always like the R-Pro Pig plastic feel but never could get a consistent release with the thumbtrack for my FH. The R-Pro Toro has a slimmer profile and a puddle top with a narrower rim vs. the premium Champion & Star.

I may end up carrying a stock Champion or Star Toro along with these gummy/soft ones for more durable stability and ground action skips on powered up line drive shots. My longtime ITB ROG Champ Gator or a Recon Mortar may also be the compliment to get some more distance as well.

I would love to try both of those plastics for the Toro. The XG is a no go because I can't choose a color and I have 4 R-Pros sitting in the shopping cart right now, just trying to justify the purchase in my head.

I would love to try both of those plastics for the Toro. The XG is a no go because I can't choose a color and I have 4 R-Pros sitting in the shopping cart right now, just trying to justify the purchase in my head.
I was able to request blue for the XG champ after placing the order by emailing them when I forgot to put that in my order notes. Unsure what other colors are available since it seems like a limited test run they did - only pictured on DGV is blue but they mention assorted colors in the description. DGV seem to respond very quickly so maybe reach out beforehand to figure out what colors are available.

Tried a Toro for the first time today. Champion, 173-5g.

Nice disc. Plastic is slightly gummy and grippy. Very flat, but not puddle top. Initial thought is that it looks and feels almost exactly like a Zone.

Toro flies well. It'll go flat a ways before dumping off left. Fade is a little abrupt and hard. Head to head against a Zone the Toro was a hair more to the left and slightly shorter (on full power throws). It isn't as slow or short as a Zone OS, however. I also noticed that the Toro was a tiny bit deeper than a Zone.

Toro is an obvious Zone clone. It flies similar enough that no one would ever need to bag a Toro and a Zone. Toro is easy to throw and it does all the same stuff a Zone does, just slightly shorter.

I liked the plastic blend for the champ Toro. Honestly, unless you run this disc over with a lawn mower or throw it across a parking lot constantly I don't think it'd ever lose any stability. It seems very durable.

If I had to assign flight numbers to this Toro I'd say something like 4, 3, 0, 4. Zone would be 4, 3, 0, 3. Only real difference for the Toro is that it fades a little harder and sooner than the Zone.

Tried a Toro for the first time today. Champion, 173-5g.

Nice disc. Plastic is slightly gummy and grippy. Very flat, but not puddle top. Initial thought is that it looks and feels almost exactly like a Zone.

Toro flies well. It'll go flat a ways before dumping off left. Fade is a little abrupt and hard. Head to head against a Zone the Toro was a hair more to the left and slightly shorter (on full power throws). It isn't as slow or short as a Zone OS, however. I also noticed that the Toro was a tiny bit deeper than a Zone.

Toro is an obvious Zone clone. It flies similar enough that no one would ever need to bag a Toro and a Zone. Toro is easy to throw and it does all the same stuff a Zone does, just slightly shorter.

I liked the plastic blend for the champ Toro. Honestly, unless you run this disc over with a lawn mower or throw it across a parking lot constantly I don't think it'd ever lose any stability. It seems very durable.

If I had to assign flight numbers to this Toro I'd say something like 4, 3, 0, 4. Zone would be 4, 3, 0, 3. Only real difference for the Toro is that it fades a little harder and sooner than the Zone.
Thanks for the insight. I think the KC Pro Toro flies close to that 4,3,0,3 flight, but will be far less durable. I have a Star Toro that is starting to beat in a bit and I can honestly say I like my Champ Toros more. Color Glow Champ was the sweet spot for me, but they are limited in supply. I was hoping Heimburg would stick with the CGC, but I guess I will have to wait and see what the Halo Stars fly like.

Yesterday while playing a round I noticed my Toro seemed a lot straighter than I remembered. Don't get me wrong, it was only flat in flight for less than half a second, but still...seeing it hold flat for any amount of time was a bit of a surprise. Not to mention I ended up 30' right of a basket that I park 90% of the time with a Toro, and I hit my line.

Enter new halo star Calvin toro...picked one up yesterday afternoon and was swiftly reminded exactly what a new Toro flies like. This one has a bit of dome and is every bit the 4 2 1 3 where as the champ is something like 4 3 0 3, now.

I am a big guy and have big hands, has anyone else noticed that the Toro fits their hand better than a Zone?

I don't feel like I can get a good BH power grip on a Zone, but the Toro feels fine.

I am a big guy and have big hands, has anyone else noticed that the Toro fits their hand better than a Zone?

I don't feel like I can get a good BH power grip on a Zone, but the Toro feels fine.
Not necessarily a big hand guy, but I tried Zone, Entropy, Harp, A2, etc. and the Toro was, without a doubt, the one that felt the absolute best in my hand.

Latest posts