• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tourneys: Why do people TD and Volunteer?

I've never heard of that. Superb idea.

(Nowadays, the only tournaments I'm running are at Stoney Hill, which is so remote that no one leaves the property for lunch, so they're hanging around, anyway. We run them from my house, and I post a sign on the outside saying "NEXT ROUND: ". When I know the exact time, I walk outside and write it in.)

Works well for some players that like to cruise the course between rounds.

The cure for the guy that knitpicks everything as soon as he shows up: Give him the raffle tickets to sell. Don't ask, just give. It works wonders.

The cure for the guy that knitpicks everything as soon as he shows up: Give him the raffle tickets to sell. Don't ask, just give. It works wonders.

Brilliant! (hands tickets)Here you go... You're now part of the solution!

For my next sanctioned event I'm going to give pro players the option of receiving their payout through paypal for those who don't want to stick around for awards. A courteous TD in Colorado extended that option to me before a long drive home and I really appreciated it. Let's see how it works.

Ams on the other hand don't really have an option but to wait for their payout because there is no way in hell I'm shipping stuff to people post event.

awesome... i'm going to offer this sunday.

Let me know how it works out. I was thinking having the pro players who want that option write their paypal email on the back of their scorepoint card or something to that effect. Hope it works well for you and let me know how it works and what, if anything, you would do differently.

Our C-tier event at our new course yesterday went swimmingly. Some Open players said it's B-tier worthy and they provided constructive criticism for improvement.

^ That is what keeps me motivated. :)

Our C-tier event at our new course yesterday went swimmingly. Some Open players said it's B-tier worthy and they provided constructive criticism for improvement.

I played in it. First tourney I've played in. It was FANTASTIC! No gripes here. Keep doing more!

Open players like $500 added cash better than $0 added cash. Fundraising for the course itself keeps me motivated. Added cash requirements keep me motivated to never run a sanctioned event.

Open players like $500 added cash better than $0 added cash. Fundraising for the course itself keeps me motivated. Added cash requirements keep me motivated to never run a sanctioned event.

No added cash requirements for a sanctioned C-tier.

Fair enough. I've run sanctioned and non-sanctioned tournaments, and there's a place for both.

True. C-tier is a great fit if event insurance is required, but payout requirements still undercut course fundraising deeply.

They really don't though. Donations to the course can be taken off the top, no different than the PDGA player fee, and not counted in the payout equation. Big misconception about payout requirements is that they're based on the total entry fee. They're not. All PDGA documentation says "net" entry. For example, look at table 4 on page 5 of the Tour Standards document (recommended entry fees).

If you wanted to run a no-frills PDGA C-tier to raise money for a course, you could charge $10, of which $2 would be the PDGA player fee, then the other $8 could be a course donation or a club fee or something of that sort. There's nothing from the PDGA end stopping you from running that event. You simply report the net entry fee as "0". As long as they get their $2 per player, you're good on that end. Extrapolate that out if you want payouts. Say $20 entry with the extra $10 being for payouts.

Truth is it's player expectation that makes fundraising tournaments unpopular. People don't want to upset the payout grubbers. Nothing to do with the PDGA, really. Just misconstruing the PDGA's relatively loose standards.

Truth is it's player expectation that makes fundraising tournaments unpopular. People don't want to upset the payout grubbers. Nothing to do with the PDGA, really. Just misconstruing the PDGA's relatively loose standards.

I wouldn't say the PDGA is anti-fundraiser, but I would say they are pro-payout to the point of being detrimental to fundraisers.

While a C-tier could technically be wholly fundraiser; the PDGA is doing nothing to support that happening they are merely making it not an impossibility. The PDGA is supporting the attitude of payout grubbers which makes a fundraiser C-tier infeasible.

I wouldn't say the PDGA is anti-fundraiser, but I would say they are pro-payout to the point of being detrimental to fundraisers.

While a C-tier could technically be wholly fundraiser; the PDGA is doing nothing to support that happening they are merely making it not an impossibility. The PDGA is supporting the attitude of payout grubbers which makes a fundraiser C-tier infeasible.

This is one answer...
Competition Endowment Program.

Of course, CEP events for charity must benefit a 501(c)(3) entity, which is pretty rare status for a course to have. But if a local club has it, the money could be filtered through them and back to the course. The plus with this program is the PDGA is donating their fees in the process.

But again, nothing the PDGA does or requires prevents or discourages fundraising at any level of event. I think it is much more a prevailing attitude from the players that gets projected on to the PDGA so the players don't look like the proverbial bad guys for wanting their full recompense at every event.

There are Disc Golf based 501C3s. The few I know of are regional based. Find one near you and run a CEP.

There are Disc Golf based 501C3s. The few I know of are regional based. Find one near you and run a CEP.

I stand corrected.....if you're running a tournament as a fundraiser for your local course, odds are that it's not a 501c3.

Latest posts