• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Training day?

ClearwaterDGC

Hey all, we are opening up a new course here in town, and while we (my gf and I) play a fair bit, we are by no means any good! lol

But, that being said, there aren't many here in our small town who have heard of disc golf, nevermind played it...so, we would like to do a toned down, beginner, training day... (hour or so before sending them out to play)

What would you guys recommend?

I planned on printing out the Innova basics charts and have them on display as well..

side arm throws and backhand throws...showing how the disc will react opposite with each throw?

Basic roller?

Basic tomahawk?

Scoring procedure?

Forehead beverage container crushing?

i dont quite know if i'd teach rollers to a first day beginner, they're pretty hard to control. same goes for tomahawk, but i'd lean towards that over a roller. you should focus on explaining the difference between drivers, mids, and putters too.

Billnchristy has done a lot of work putting together beginners clinics, his are specifically targeted at women but I have a feeling a lot of what he has been doing will transfer well to a mixed setting, send him a message and see if he has any advice.

I want to know how to forehand beverage container crusher. I would show them bh, fh, maybe Tommies especially for baseball players to get started.

Second difference in putt, mid ,driver.

Then etiquette about play, scoring, course etc.

I want to know how to forehand beverage container crusher. I would show them bh, fh, maybe Tommies especially for baseball players to get started.

Second difference in putt, mid ,driver.

Then etiquette about play, scoring, course etc.

Forehead my friend, forehead. ;) Takes awhile, and a few to get it right...or is it a few before you attempt? I always get that wrong...

Good ideas all! Difference in discs for sure...etiquette...scoring...yep. check. will add them to the list.

Will also message Billnchristy

I thought you had a question about the movie.. my bad.

training_day.jpg

Clearwater, you need to meet BillNChristy, he is putting clinics together for women beginners. I'm sure it's bisexual, unisex, cross-gender, well, whatever....it's probably relevant for all noobs. Send him a PM.

bisexual, unisex, cross-gender

This kind of clinic could not be held at public parks. :)

What we do at the clinics:

(Most of this is thanks to Courtney, she is an awesome teacher)

Toss discs back and forth from the instructor to the students, she goes down the line and tells them to putt at her basically, then she will adjust anything that might need it.

She then sets out minis at 10' to 40' and has the ladies putt at each station twice and again makes adjustments.

After that they do approach work which (at some places) works perfect if you throw basket to basket...other places you would just have to get 100' or so, throw your mids to the basket trying to park and then back to the other basket, rinse repeat.

She then did another round of catch followed by driving.

As you can see Courtneys was focused on the short game.

The one we did with Rachel was more focused on the long game with backhand and forehand technique in a large field with tons of drives going at once.

Lastly, always play a round after, a lot can be learned there too.

I like those drills, regardless of their sexual identity! I may use some of them in my own practice regimen. Thanks for sharing Bill!!!

Yeah they rock, like I said, Courtney is a great teacher. I am pretty sure she could get a chimpanzee to out play a non trained player in just a couple hours.

What would you guys recommend?

I planned on printing out the Innova basics charts and have them on display as well..

side arm throws and backhand throws...showing how the disc will react opposite with each throw?

Basic roller?

Basic tomahawk?

Scoring procedure?

Forehead beverage container crushing?
Backhand and forehand are good ideas, but I wouldn't worry about rollers and overhand throws. Putting is way more important than either of those.

Thanks again all for the input and yeah, the exercises and putting focus do make more sense than rollers or tommys.

It's early, but I can visualize a transgendered monkey outplaying Ethan Hawke on a downtown New York(?) course in the sequel.

Hmm...an urban course..there is a thought? Instead of trees, you have lightposts and vehicles..the odd cardboard box...

I'd also give each participant a one-page summary of the rules of disc golf. Focus on things like marking the lie, legal stance, OB, not breaking branches off of trees, falling putts, etc.

I'd also give each participant a one-page summary of the rules of disc golf. Focus on things like marking the lie, legal stance, OB, not breaking branches off of trees, falling putts, etc.

Excellent point :thmbup:

Could you provide a link to these particular rules? I am pretty new to dg myself and probably could use a proper lesson...lol

ClearwaterDGC:

I don't know any links that give a short summary of the rules. But a complete rulebook (which is a long read) is here:

http://www.pdga.com/rules

I'm sure the most important rules must be summarized somewhere, though. Maybe I'll write a page myself.

Latest posts