• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Treating McPro/Pro Plastic with.... Grease/Butter/Crisco!!

Hypnotoad

Resident Toad Licker Extraordinaire
I recently bought some McPro Aviars and Roc3's. They felt slightly slippery to me and kind of dull, which was not my favorite - vague description I know, but perhaps others feel this way?

Anyhow, I decided to get experimental. I used bacon grease, butter, and crisco to treat 3 different McPros and the results were.... awesome! Not sure if this is PDGA legal but who the hell is going to notice? :D

Steps: Rub and massage the test subject all over the disc, let it sit for 10 minutes. Wash it off with warm water, to remove any excess that didn't absorb into the plastic. Wipe with a towel/paper towel.

Test 1 - Bacon Grease:

The results were fantastic. It made my Roc3 very soft/velvety and offers superior grip compared to the other test materials. No it doesn't smell like bacon grease. :D

Test 2 - Butter:

Again, great results. This made my Aviar very soft but offers a little less grip than the Bacon grease; however, it is definitely more grippy than it was out of the box. Exactly what I was looking for in my putter - soft and not overly grippy. I think the bacon grease would be a little too much for a putter (personal preference).

Test 3 - Crisco:

I also used this on an Aviar. The results were almost exactly the same as Butter but it is a little less soft. About the same grip going on here though.

To sum things up, I am going to do this for now on with any Pro/Dx plastic that I don't like the feel of. It seems crazy but the results were remarkable in my eyes.

Has anyone done something similar?
Call me crazy! :rolleyes:

Your crazy. But if it works then why not? On a side note I would love me some discs that smelled like bacon. Like a scratch and sniff bacon disc. I believe your on to something.

Your crazy. But if it works then why not? On a side note I would love me some discs that smelled like bacon. Like a scratch and sniff bacon disc. I believe your on to something.

If you skip the rinsing with water step and just wipe it off with a towel then I have no doubt it would smell like bacon. LOL

At least I know I'm crazy now! :hfive:

I recently bought some McPro Aviars and Roc3's. They felt slightly slippery to me and kind of dull, which was not my favorite - vague description I know, but perhaps others feel this way?

Anyhow, I decided to get experimental. I used bacon grease, butter, and crisco to treat 3 different McPros and the results were.... awesome! Not sure if this is PDGA legal but who the hell is going to notice? :D

Steps: Rub and massage the test subject all over
:

I had to stop here and cool down.

Let us know how long it lasts and if repeat applications are necessary. I've used several different things to improve grip like Tac spray. I've looking into other stuff as well to either put on the disc or my hands. I would say legal since tac spray is.

Blasphemy. The stiffness is what makes a McPro so special.

You could just buy DX Aviars...

You are about two weeks early with this.....

Having said that, it's an interesting idea. Might make your discs easier to find in the rough. At least if you bring your dog along.

I was my Medium Pures in warm, soapy water and can tell a difference.

I honestly never would have thought to try this.

Blasphemy. The stiffness is what makes a McPro so special.

You could just buy DX Aviars...

It is still the same stiffness. It doesnt change the composition of the plastic.

It simply changes how the disc feels in your hands, which gives me a huge confidence boost.
Dont knock it till you try it.

I tried it with my dog once, didn't seem to improve his locating skills at all I was hoping he'd be able to smell it in the snow(couldn't find the thread I made on it).

Test 1 - Bacon Grease:

The results were fantastic. It made my Roc3 very soft/velvety and offers superior grip compared to the other test materials. No it doesn't smell like bacon grease. :D
Mother of God. See this is why I have to ****post here all the time. How did you guys miss this...

IS THERE ANYTHING BACON CAN'T DO FOR FOLF?

Hydro......ponics. :p

You may not be able to smell it, but bears, dogs, coons, owls, pumas, crocodiles, and yeti can. No, I will stick with the stock plastic.

Latest posts