• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trouble when playing with random people

westdisc91

Bogey Member
Hey guys. So been playing for a while. I know this might sound dumb, but I am having a hard time playing courses with other people. I can't seem to throw like I do when I practice my forum in a field. I seem to throw high throw low hit trees. Any tip on to overcome this?

I always throw better in the field. For me, that is the mental part of the game. I concentrate on fundamentals when practicing and just throw without over thinking things when on the course. Pre-throw routine, visualize, and throw. When I get my brain too involved, bad things happen. Just play your game, your way, and have fun.

Others are there to help me if they can or at the least assist me in finding my lost discs. :)

Hey guys. So been playing for a while. I know this might sound dumb, but I am having a hard time playing courses with other people. I can't seem to throw like I do when I practice my forum in a field. I seem to throw high throw low hit trees. Any tip on to overcome this?

Throw high vs throw low: Check the weight shift. If your weight is too far back it's easy to throw high, if it's too far forward it's easy to throw low. When playing with people shorten up your run up so that you can concentrate on your weight shift and sync up your hit when your weight is on top of your pivot foot (check bracing threads for help).

Hit Trees: Trees generally grow from left to right so that is the x axis (early release vs late release). Left to right is tougher for me to get precision but my helpful tip is to get a feel for when the disc rips out of your grip. When I go for power the disc usually rips out late so I focus on the tree I need to avoid and go for power like I'm trying to drill that tree. My late release will usually take the disc to the right of that tree brilliantly. But the takeaway here is learn how to hedge your bets and err on the side of caution. If the disc tends to slip out early on you do the opposite of what I said.

In addition to the great advice listed above. A few questions may help get more answers from the forum folks.

Just for clarification purposes: What happens when you play the course by yourself? Do you still have the same problems? Do you still have the same problems on the course, when playing with your friends?

Throw high vs throw low: Check the weight shift. If your weight is too far back it's easy to throw high, if it's too far forward it's easy to throw low. When playing with people shorten up your run up so that you can concentrate on your weight shift and sync up your hit when your weight is on top of your pivot foot (check bracing threads for help).

Hit Trees: Trees generally grow from left to right so that is the x axis (early release vs late release). Left to right is tougher for me to get precision but my helpful tip is to get a feel for when the disc rips out of your grip. When I go for power the disc usually rips out late so I focus on the tree I need to avoid and go for power like I'm trying to drill that tree. My late release will usually take the disc to the right of that tree brilliantly. But the takeaway here is learn how to hedge your bets and err on the side of caution. If the disc tends to slip out early on you do the opposite of what I said.

or just stop trying to over throw it, I have much better results and distance with slow, easy release

I just played a casual round solo, and halfway through I caught up with a group of three very skilled younger players (college guys on their winter break). They offered to let me play through, but I asked if I could join them for the rest of the round. I figured I'd learn something by watching them. Unfortunately I didn't. However, I actually shot better playing with those guys than solo, with cleaner drives and upshots. Is that common?

I just played a casual round solo, and halfway through I caught up with a group of three very skilled younger players (college guys on their winter break). They offered to let me play through, but I asked if I could join them for the rest of the round. I figured I'd learn something by watching them. Unfortunately I didn't. However, I actually shot better playing with those guys than solo, with cleaner drives and upshots. Is that common?

Playing with people who are better than you will make you a better player. If I have a choice I'll always choose the card where I'm the worst player.

WRT the OP: Might just be nerves. Don't put any expectations on yourself other than to have a good time and meet new people. Disc golf is just a walk in the woods with a purpose...don't ruin the fun for yourself by trying to be someone you're not or a better player than you are. Go with the flow, bro, and just throw! Guaranteed once you lose that expectation for yourself you'll loosen up and have a blast.

I do this also and never seen anyone describe it before. But this doesn't always work for me so...
or just stop trying to over throw it, I have much better results and distance with slow, easy release
...I do this at those times.

I do this also and never seen anyone describe it before. But this doesn't always work for me so...

...I do this at those times.

Aim your body towards the shot you are making dont try and change your release angle.

Aim your body towards the shot you are making dont try and change your release angle.

My whole body? I don't know how you would do that or I'm not understanding what you mean.

I don't agree with aiming your shot, I use more of a focus point. I try to line my shoulder up with my release target (if you want to consider that aiming), the release angle could be different depending on how I want to throw, hyzer, an-hyzer or something in between so that has nothing to do with it, imo.

Well, I don't know about the O.P., or anyone else, but I suspect my field shots aren't nearly as good as they seem. A shot 20' off line in a field isn't noticeable; the same shot on a wooded course might be a bogey, or worse.

Well, I don't know about the O.P., or anyone else, but I suspect my field shots aren't nearly as good as they seem. A shot 20' off line in a field isn't noticeable; the same shot on a wooded course might be a bogey, or worse.

good point. maybe why I get bored with field work; it doesn't tell me much!:\

For high/ low releases I have been reworking my drive completely. I have eliminated any run-up and now take a 1 step (plant) and throw. My weight transfer and my reach-back have greatly improved which has resulted in less sky hyzer bombs. Due to the frigid conditions I haven't thrown as much as I would like so will probably keep this up through February before adding back an Xstep. I have easily added 30' to my max distance and about 10-15 to my average drive after about a week. Sounds crazy but so far form trumps momentum/ muscle. Hope this helps.

Dont feel stressed about playing with others. I have a friend that falls apart if we have a new guy in the group. He rushes his throws and trys to throw farther than usual. Just be yourself and play your game.

Just keep putting yourself out there playing with groups and it gets better. When I first started and was terrible I was uncomfortable playing in groups or even playing through. But the reality is that no one but you even cares about your throws. They're thinking about their own throws instead.

When I figure out something that helps with my form, I'll repeat that thing (timing, stay loose, whatever) in my head before I throw so that I focus on the new technique but it's easy to forget these things and it's even easy to forgot throwing basics when you get nervous.

Just deep breaths and try to relax, then go through the same routine you do when throwing in the field. Try to remember to stay loose and focus on timing - these two things suffer the most when I'm nervous. Overcoming nerves can be challenging at firs but it's do-able for anyone.

I will get a little nervous when playing with others for the first couple of holes. I get this way even when I simrace online but will steady down after a couple of laps.

I think it's a natural reaction with the nerves because I don't want to make a complete a$$ out of myself on the course and will feel a little nerve even when playing with family; a couple of my nephews are MUCH more advanced players than me (also 30 years younger), having grown up in a time when this game has been popular in my area as where when I was their age I had never heard of disc golfing. They have helped my game out tremendously though, teaching me about the different discs, their characteristics, proper throwing technique, lines etc., as will anybody I play a round with if they are much more advanced than me. If it is a person I just met on the out on the course and they want to do a few holes together I just tell them that I am old and my body is worn and I just started playing the game ;) Seriously, when I play with one person in particular, who is twice the player I am, I just try to stay within 1 stroke of him per hole, even getting a couple of tied holes and once in a while winning a hole. No one has ever laughed (out loud anyway) at my playing and if there is any laughing out there it's just when playing with family and we'll get a little laugh now and then whenever one of us makes a really bad throw. I've seen enough advanced players make bad throws, miss some easy putts, etc. out on the course so I never feel too bad about my own ability. Besides, I am too addicted and get too much enjoyment out of playing to worry much about winning a round. I just love to get out and do it! Now if only some decent weather would just come along so I can get out and play a new course that just opened about 10 minutes away from my home....

Disc golf seems to be played by a different class of peeps compared to some other sports. No one is there to belittle your talent (or lack thereof) when playing, or trying to psyche you out or whatever and are just out to have fun themselves. It gets competitive at times, but in a good way. So far as tournament play goes, I can't say as that is not my venue. If I ever entered a tournament my knees would probably be shaking due to nerves and I'd probably hit the first tree or OB I encountered :D

Last edited:

My whole body? I don't know how you would do that or I'm not understanding what you mean.

Its my understanding that most of the "aiming" should take place with the feet and hips. You shouldnt even have to look up to throw straight. If your feet are correctly placed in relation to your hips, and youre pulling through straight across with your elbow you should have a hard time NOT throwing straight. Unless youre either griplocking or actually trying to open youre hand rather than the disc being ripped from it. Im certainly not an expert and someone please correct me if im wrong..

I would jump over to the form thread and ask sidewinder22 about that.

As for being around others at the course: that goes away. As you become more comfortable with yourself and your game, you also become more socialable in regards to it.
When i first started i would wait in the parking lot for people to leave the course just so i wouldnt end up interacting with anyone. Now i kinda like the idea of running into people mid round. Sometimes i actually throw better around others now. Dont know why really i guess i just feel more alert. Then again, 99.9% of the time im alone anyway. Im always so focused and absorbed by the game that i never even think about what other people are doing or thinking. Anyway, that part's all mental and goes away as you grow your game. Hope that helps! :thmbup:

You could just have been having an off day? For me I actually play better when I play with other people, especially randoms. Playing with others always brings out the best in me.