• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two new courses in Carmel, IN this summer!

MacDaddy

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
There will be two new courses in Carmel this summer! One will be an 18-hole, multi-tee and multi-pin layout, with everything from heavy, to med, to light woods, to wide open and even some water. At Hazel Landing Park, 106th & Hazel Dell Parkway.

The other is going to be at Lawrence Inlow Park, on 131st St just East of Hazel Dell Parkway. It will be a 9-hole recreational level course and will be ADA certified. :hfive:

... a little more...

The Hazel Landing, 18-hole course, will have Red and Blue tee pads, and nice signage at both tees. The park is in a floodplain along White River, it has some beautifull old growth sycamore, walnut, oak and other hardwoods. There is an old farm levy along the river which will come into play on parts of the course. Also some areas that were fields, but were reforested about 11-12 years ago and are doing great! And another more open area that was farm fields, but has had more recent and lighter replanting done. A very nice mix of flora and some nice fauna too, with lots of raccoon, oppossum, deer, coyote, hawks, owls and lots of other birds. It is a very nice piece of land to walk.

The recreational 9-hole course at Lawrence Inlow park will be ADA (Americans with Disabilites Act) certified, and has some other very nice amenities, including bathroms, a big pergola with built in grills, tables and benches. Plus a sweet, zero-entry, splash park in the middle of it all. Lots of benchs with moms and kids in the summer. There is also a small woods with two different kids playgrounds. This park is practically across the street from The Hill @ Northview Church course.

Gonna be a fun summer! :thmbup:

Keep us posted as things develop! :thmbup:

"in a floodplain"...i.e., rampant mosquitoes. :D

yes, but...

Yes it is in a floodplain. Anything by White River will be, and yes there will be mosquitoes, but any woods will have those. :\

Both courses will be designed by yours truely. :D

Have you designed before? If so, which courses? It's doubtful that I'd have played any of them, but ya never know. :)

Yep

Got my first experience working with Henry Aldridge and Jerry Suiter on Brookside Park and Washington Park (East and West courses, for the 1992 PDGA Am Worlds, the West course is gone).

I have done several other courses over the years, including 6 courses last year; The Hill @ Northview Church, Hillcrest Park in Vincennes, Biddle Park in Sheridan, Eagle Eye DGC @ The Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, Cumberland Park in Fishers and Living Waters DGC @ New Creations.

Besides the two courses in Carmel, I'm currently working on one in Anderson and three other towns across Indiana. And I'm a member of the PDGA Course Designers Group. :thmbup:

Got my first experience working with Henry Aldridge and Jerry Suiter on Brookside Park and Washington Park (East and West courses, for the 1992 PDGA Am Worlds, the West course is gone).

I have done several other courses over the years, including 6 courses last year; The Hill @ Northview Church, Hillcrest Park in Vincennes, Biddle Park in Sheridan, Eagle Eye DGC @ The Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, Cumberland Park in Fishers and Living Waters DGC @ New Creations.

Besides the two courses in Carmel, I'm currently working on one in Anderson and three other towns across Indiana. And I'm a member of the PDGA Course Designers Group. :thmbup:

I haven't played any of your more recent work, I moved away from central Indiana a couple years ago, but I've always thought Brookside and Washington were solid given the land and the age of those courses. Good to hear these new courses have someone experienced involved. :thmbup:

Next time

I haven't played any of your more recent work, I moved away from central Indiana a couple years ago, but I've always thought Brookside and Washington were solid given the land and the age of those courses. Good to hear these new courses have someone experienced involved. :thmbup:

Next time you're in Central Indiana, look me up and we can play a round or two. :hfive:

I've played Cumberland & Northview, Wanna play Living Waters this year sometime.
It's always good to see new courses in the area that are well thought out.

I've played Cumberland & Northview, Wanna play Living Waters this year sometime.
It's always good to see new courses in the area that are well thought out.

Gotta Play Living waters in the spring. Make sure chad has the DISCatchers in the "C" position. Last Saturdays ice bowl was very windy. I was told lot of plastic got into the lake. Get hold of me I'd love to go play it again.

Gotta Play Living waters in the spring. Make sure chad has the DISCatchers in the "C" position. Last Saturdays ice bowl was very windy. I was told lot of plastic got into the lake. Get hold of me I'd love to go play it again.
I look forward to it. I may wait until the concrete pads and signs get put up this spring.

Moving forward

I just had a walk-through at both parks with the Parks Dept. We reviewed the preliminary plans for both courses and had no problems. Eveything is moving forward on schedule. :thmbup:

Great Job!

It is nice to hear that there will be 2 more courses in Carmel and even one in Anderson. I love the work you have done around town. I am born and raised in Castleton and have played a majority of the courses you have worked with. I am interested in learning how to establish courses or practice areas myself. Just today I was thinking that IUPUI could a few practice baskets skattered across campus. There are a few courtyards on the main chunk of campus and a plot of land near the dorms that would be ideal...or even Military Park downtown...

How do you go about picking locations for a disc golf course? I have always wondered this. Christian Park and Ellenberger Park, both on the east side a few blocks from Emerson, seem like they were established to one day become a disc golf course.

Latest posts