• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two new courses in Carmel, IN this summer!

Thanks.

It is nice to hear that there will be 2 more courses in Carmel and even one in Anderson. I love the work you have done around town. I am born and raised in Castleton and have played a majority of the courses you have worked with. I am interested in learning how to establish courses or practice areas myself. Just today I was thinking that IUPUI could a few practice baskets skattered across campus. There are a few courtyards on the main chunk of campus and a plot of land near the dorms that would be ideal...or even Military Park downtown...

How do you go about picking locations for a disc golf course? I have always wondered this. Christian Park and Ellenberger Park, both on the east side a few blocks from Emerson, seem like they were established to one day become a disc golf course.

I am glad to hear that you like my courses. I am really excited about the two new ones in Carmel, the Hazel Landing course has some really magnificent tress and even a little terrain on it. It will be much more wooded than most area courses. The 9-hole rec course at Inlow is going to be ADA certified and will be a great place to learn the sport for kids of all ages, families and even for those with many types of disabilites. The Anderson course I think will be a very fun, 9-basket, 18-tee layout, and a good first course for the city.

Location, location, location. I wish it were that simple. For every place that says yes, there are many more that say 'no'. Basically I am always looking for course locations. Literally. If I am driving down the road, my mind is too often thinking about if that piece of land over there would make a good disc golf course or not. You want land that has lots of trees and open areas. Some flat and some hilly, throw in some water (to play around on the course and to drink), a place to park, restrooms, etc..... And of course there always has to be some way to pay for it all, either through the park or church, or other private donations. Safety is always a big consideration as to what type, if any, of course will work on any given site.

Funny that you mention Ellenberger. Many, many moons ago, there was an object course there, throwing at some trees that had been tagged by local disc golfers. I have talked with them several times, including very recently, and they are not interested in a course at this time.

If you would like to get some baskets set-up at IUPIU and would like someone to help show you the ropes on how that works, I'd be glad to do that. :hfive:

I do know that Disc Golf has reached IUPUI. I am getting ready to graduate from the School of Education in December and am familiar with campus and it's what is available for students. The Athletic Department/rec center has 10 folding Innova Travel Baskets for students to rent or to use to teach (in a gym setting). In my opinion, if they are already aware of disc golf and have some folding baskets in stock, then it shouldn't be too hard to persuade them into establishing 1-4 permanent baskets for a practice area or a spread out course with multiple throw spots. But then again, like you said, funding is an issue!

I love the idea of bringing a course or a few baskets to downtown Indy. :hfive:

In terms of Ellenberger, that is pretty funny. I have taken my Innova Discatcher Sport there a few times and have had my way with that park. It is unfortunate that they do not wish to establish a permanent pole hole course on that location!

I still think Eagle Creek park is a great location for a Disc golf course.They're putting in ziplines there, could disc golf be far behind?

I heard about 5 years ago that Northwestway was going to relocate to Eagle Creek but I never heard anything again after that. It never happened.

I would love to see Eagle Creek establish disc golf course or 3 like some State Parks do. Maybe a beginner and an advanced course. It is definitely big enough to hold a 27 hole course. I saw online that Brownsburg is building a course. Google "Brownsburg Disc Golf" and click DRAFT on possible walking guide.

I've heard the same thing about pulling Northwestway & putting it in Eagle Creek. That course in Brownsburg will be cool. Elevation change is hard to find in Central IN. i may post that in it's own thread.

Ajbova & kingjames1014; I wrote,on my N.W. Way review, that it should be pulled and moved to eagle Creek. Don't think it will ever happen. There was a 9 hole course in Eagles nest. It was pulled in 1987 for the Pan Am games. I believe they moved them to Washington park. I email John, the hcdgc prez., to find out the dates of the temp. Course so it gets promoted & played. A big turn out would go a long way to make this a perm. Course. Ill posted anything i hear on the other thread.

sorry about the thread drift..
Back on topic.. i'm gonna try to drive by the parks in Carmel this weekend just to check them out for myself.

Morse beach club will be having their Ice Bowl this Sunday. If you are interested or planning to play it. I believe they add 6 more holes that are only payable during a few tournaments.

Birdies already!

I was out at the Hazel Landing course site last weekend working on the layout and saw a bald eagle flying over the course! Absolutely amazing! :clap:

Lawrence Inlow 9-hole Rec course

Was out today and did the intial stake-out for the new 9-hole Recreatonal level - ADA certified course at Lawrence Inlow Park in Carmel. Things are looking great! With 5 nice open holes with some small trees, and another 4 holes through some pretty decent woods, it will be a fun teachiung and practice course! Should do a walk through with the parks dept soon and if all is OK start doing some clearing in the woods and other site prep later this month. :thmbup:

Well...

What are the three other towns if you don't mind me asking?

I don't really mind. But due to various reasons I would prefer not to name them at this point in time. Sorry. But I will say this, they are not in the Indy/ring counties area. All three are in places that do not currenlty have a disc golf course anywhere in the county. One will be a rec/intermediate level 18-hole design, another is an 18-hole intermediate/tournament level course. And the third is on a property with a very nice lake, lots of woods, hills, etc., it wil be at least 18-holes (maybe more) and be of at least tournament quality. :thmbup:

Fairly soon.

:thmbup: sounds fantastic! we need more good courses in IN.
Is there an ETA on the 2 in Carmel?

The 9-hole course at Lawrence Inlow park should be open in May, perhaps earlier if the weather stays good. The 18-hole layout at Hazel Landing should open in June, again depending on weather. This course needs more clearing and the schedule will be more affected by rain. :popcorn:

Hazel Landing is moving along...

Had a great day yesterday, working on the layout for Hazel Landing. It looks really good! After working it and cooking things down a bit, the intitial design includes 8 holes in thick woods, 6.5 holes in medium woods, and 3.5 holes in the open. Lots of big, beautiful trees, some terrain change and with a little exposure to White River! Plenty of cool birds, raccoons, coyotes and other animals around somewhere, and during early morning or late evening rounds you'll have a good chance of seeing some deer. Or maybe even a bald eagle! :thmbup:

Getting there...

With all the warm weather recently, work is moving along nicely on both new courses. We will do a walk through this week with Carmel Parks to approve the rough drafts of the layouts. Once that is done, we can finalize the multiple tee and pin locations and begin clearing operations. I did a rough measurement of the Hazel Landing course yesterday and it was easily 7,000 ft plus. In the woods. Have fun! :hfive:

Hazel Landing

This will certainly be an awesome course! I have personally walked around with the crew and saw some challenging woods shots. This course could very well draw some large Disc Golf crowds to the already popular Dillon, and The Hill courses.

Who knows, we may have a trifecta challenge in Carmel soon!:thmbup:

Zingman

One step closer...

I did a walk-through with Carmel Parks today for approval of the initial design for both courses. Everything went great, we even got a couple of upgrades in the process! Now we can mark out the final locations for the Red and Blue tees and for both pin locations, and start clearing brush and trees. It still looks like Lawrence Inlow will open in May and Hazel Landing in June :hfive:

It's so great to hear of so many Indiana courses going in this early in the year! :thmbup: