• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two new courses in Carmel, IN this summer!

A lack of funding. Carmel is in a little bit of debt trouble at the moment.:wall:

One of us needs to win the lottery and dedicate at least $100,000 towards courses in central Indiana. I'm thinking Eagle Creek, Garfield Park, Southeastway Park, Hazel Landing, Anderson, and Graham Erwin Park!

Boom!:hfive:

The money is there. I think it would really help is if disc golfers showed more interest in getting courses put in. Contacting the parks dept & town councils en mass would let them know that people are really interested in the sport. Also, talking to schools about getting more kids involved in the sport would generate more demand for courses.

. I'm thinking Eagle Creek,:

I think with all the other activities they have at Eagle Creek adding a Disc Golf course would be a natural fit into the use plans and bring out a segment of the potential users that may not be aware of some of the other actvities out there including the "go ape" thing, win win for everyone!

Eagle Creek has the terrain and land needed to make not only a world class course, but a beginner friendly course in addition to that (2 courses). They just spent a fortune on the obstacle course in the woods with the climbing and ziplines and what not.

I believe the Zipline was added by another Co. that charges a fee and the park gets a percentage.

The Non-Profit that runs Eagle Creek, "Friends of Eagle Creek" Didnt even want mountain bike trails in there.

I really dont think a DG course will ever be installed. :(

As I wrote in my review of N.W. way Park. "it needs to be pulled & moved to Eagle Creek"...... sadly I really think it wont happen.

Minus the walking path I really like Northwestway... But then again the walking path gets in the way of 17 of 18 holes. It can be a challenging course with plenty of unique holes. I know there are walkers who ignore the course I just go with a planned 30 minutes of wait time. Gets me out of the house for longer.

Getting back on track. i would hope that Hazel Landing gets installed by next spring.
Hazel Landing, Dillon, & The Hill would make for a great 3 round high school tournament host site.

Talked with Carmel Parks yesterday. Work on the new Hazel Landing course will not begin until next spring. :wall:

Carmel Parks is planning and funding a process which will do clearing for the Hazel Landing course in spring 2013 and an opening some time in the summer. :popcorn:

Hazel Landing breaks ground next week! Should be open the 1St of June.

The floodwaters have finally receeded and clearing on the course has started. It is 80%-90% complete on 12 of the 18 holes, with several of the remaining ones needing only some light work. If the weather holds out, the tees and other concrete work should be done in the next 2 weeks. Signs have been ordered and the new Innova Pro "28's" are already at the Carmel-Clay Parks Dept and waiting to be installed! An early June opening date is looking good! :thmbup:

I went and scouted the still-in-progress Hazel Landing layout a bit during lunch today. I walked holes 1 through 4... here are my initial thoughts...

1. If you get off the fairways on this course you could be in big trouble. Lots of heavy underbrush could lead to lots of lost discs.

2. The gaps through the trees are going to be pretty tough to hit in some places. Standing on the proposed tee pad for hole 2, I couldn't see a line to get to the basket except for perhaps a massive anhyzer around the big tree in the middle of the fairway. The other three holes seemed more open but still tough.

3. Two tee pads and two pin locations on each hole will be fantastic.

4. I was attacked by several hovercraft-sized mosquitoes once I got into the woods so some bug spray will be essential.

5. It looks like navigating the course will be pretty straight forward, at least based on what little I saw.

6. For an intermediate level player like myself, this course will be TOUGH.

All in all, I would say that if you like wooded courses, which I do, you're going to love this place. It reminded me of some of the wooded courses I've seen on the east coast. It's definitely much different than the other courses we have in the Indianapolis region which are mostly wide open, and I think that's very important. Can't wait until it's finished!

Burdphil, I believe that is a very accurate description of the course.
We, the Hamilton Disc Golf Union. (TheHDGU.com) Will be hosting our 1st monthly tournament June 15th at Hazel Landing.

It's getting there.... All clearing is basically complete (some final trimming, but nothing heavy) and there will still be more vine removal before opening! Holes are dug for pins and tee-signs and we poured concrete for about 40% of the pins last week. Next week will see completion of the pins and work starting on the tee-pads (5' x 12'). With decent weather the course should be completed the week of June 3rd. :thmbup:

The bugs have not been too bad, use some bug juice and they may buzz around, but seldom land or bite. Long pants will be a good idea for awhile, as there is a fair amount of nettles and poison ivy in the rough! :hfive:

All the sleeves for the pins are in place and ready, so are all the tee-sign posts. The first 10 tee-pads (5 holes) were poured today! Shooting for June 10th to hang the baskets, if all goes well with the weather over the next few days... :thmbup:

Sweet. Is everything really going to be ready for the HDGU tournament on the 15th?

Sweet. Is everything really going to be ready for the HDGU tournament on the 15th?

Well..... we did lose a couple days to rain.... but will pour 12 more tee pads tomorrow.... we should be doing final trimming, remediation, hanging signs and baskets next week.... maybe ready by the 14th!! :popcorn:

Latest posts