• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UDISC ups price to $30/year - does DGCR still have a free mobile app for scorekeeping?

dwalk77

Par Member
Just found out UDisc increased it's annual subscription price from $15 to $30. I used to keep score on DGCR for free. I uninstalled the app from my phone, and now I can't find it. Does anybody have a free scorekeeper they use on their phone? One thing I liked about UDISC is I could also export all scores to a CSV file, but I doubt that's going to be an option with a free app.

FYI, you can still keep score with UDISC for free, but you won't be able to access your career stats unless you pay the premium.

Yeah that's a hard no from me and I'm the course ambassador for all of our local courses. That's a pretty big increase for an app where the users add and update all of the content. Hell I'm less likely to pay being an ambassador, nothing like spending weeks getting all of your courses mapped, updated, and ready to go only for them to allow Joe No One Knows to be come an ambassador and change everything you just worked on.

For some of us who use the full capability, it's probably still worth the increased cost. Unlimited Scorecards, tracking an unlimited number of measured throws, having your data follow you to other devices, course traffic, etc.

Now, does that mean it SHOULD be increasing 100% year-over-year? I don't think so. I read the email, and their justification doesn't add up with a 100% price increase. This is a monopoly situation. Who else gives you the features I mentioned above as conveniently and as well done as UDisc? Nobody. So they knew they COULD increase the price that much and people would still pay. Don't get me wrong, they should be able to make money on their product. But I appreciate businesses who have an attitude of what should we charge in order to make enough vs how much could we charge in order to make as much as possible.

Currently, the DGCR app is only available on iOS. Google made some changes, and it's proven to be a bit more consuming as the app was written in an older language.

For some of us who use the full capability, it's probably still worth the increased cost. Unlimited Scorecards, tracking an unlimited number of measured throws, having your data follow you to other devices, course traffic, etc.

Now, does that mean it SHOULD be increasing 100% year-over-year? I don't think so. I read the email, and their justification doesn't add up with a 100% price increase. This is a monopoly situation. Who else gives you the features I mentioned above as conveniently and as well done as UDisc? Nobody. So they knew they COULD increase the price that much and people would still pay. Don't get me wrong, they should be able to make money on their product. But I appreciate businesses who have an attitude of what should we charge in order to make enough vs how much could we charge in order to make as much as possible.
It's not exactly the same, but Tjing has the same level of polish and I could see it replacing UDisc at some point.

It's not exactly the same, but Tjing has the same level of polish and I could see it replacing UDisc at some point.
First time I've heard of it. Looks promising, but doesn't really give any details on the features. Also based in Europe and doesn't seem to have anything listed for the US. Doesn't matter how good something is if nobody knows about it or uses it.

I got that email today and thought the same thing.....100% increase for what exactly? I don't use many of the extra features as it is...mostly I just want to keep score. I'll consider going to the free version from now on.

Admittedly, it is only $2.50 a month....but still, it is a 100% increase for very little added features.

The PDGA isn't getting their $50 next year and I see no reason to give Udisc $30. That's too bad because I'm a course ambassador also, and the other ambassador for our course is a clueless twit, so the course will suffer. This is going to kill leagues too if all the participants have to pay Udisc an extra $15 on top of other leagues fees and dues.

for udisc if you have just an account you can get free "exclude courses played"

or on here to exclude courses played its $20 or whatever and i do not use any other premium features

or i could pay udisc $30 and i never keep score

what option should i go with lololol

First time I've heard of it. Looks promising, but doesn't really give any details on the features. Also based in Europe and doesn't seem to have anything listed for the US. Doesn't matter how good something is if nobody knows about it or uses it.
Agreed, but people are going to look for alternatives at some point and I could see Tjing catching on.

Currently, the DGCR app is only available on iOS. Google made some changes, and it's proven to be a bit more consuming as the app was written in an older language.
Well, here's your chance to pick up a lot of users. For me, UDisc only has 1 feature that DGCR doesn't have, and that's the ability to have offline course lookups so that I can start a scorecard without connection to the internet if I've played the course before, or if I've pre-loaded the course data before going out of cell phone range.

Also, you should't balk at a subscription fee, as long as it's low and doesn't increase 6x in 6 years.

Did Elon buy UDISC?

This will certainly impair the casual user from buying/renewing. I suspect the net $ gain would have been more with something less aggressive than doubling the price.

A lifetime subscription for $60? Or 2 yrs for $35 or $20 per year? Typical bait and switch price hike where the user at least feels they have an option for a better deal. Doubling the price without such options is always going to piss off your customers.

with the free version you can still keep score and it still has the maps? That's all I've ever used it for.

for udisc if you have just an account you can get free "exclude courses played"

or on here to exclude courses played its $20 or whatever and i do not use any other premium features

or i could pay udisc $30 and i never keep score

what option should i go with lololol
I think they made the "exclude courses played" feature free, because I've been using it on the new site.

Even though they have something of a monopoly, a price hike does have the potential to allow competitors to get in and challenge.

It's not a bug—it's a feature of capitalism.

On top of the price hike, what I really don't appreciate is the fact that if you paid for last year, you're automatically billed for next year. If you don't want to renew for $30, you have to opt out.

From the email I received:

"What's changing with UDisc Pro
The price of an annual UDisc Pro membership has increased to $29.99 annually (that's $2.50 per month). You don't need to take any action now – your current subscription will renew on December 15, 2023, at the new price."

On top of the price hike, what I really don't appreciate is the fact that if you paid for last year, you're automatically billed for next year. If you don't want to renew for $30, you have to opt out.

From the email I received:

"What's changing with UDisc Pro
The price of an annual UDisc Pro membership has increased to $29.99 annually (that's $2.50 per month). You don't need to take any action now – your current subscription will renew on December 15, 2023, at the new price."
Reeks of venture capital strategy. Common and dirty.

As someone who only occasionally keeps score in casual rounds, this is way too steep of a hike. I'll pretty much just use udisc for live tournament scoring and the occasional course search.

Latest posts