• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Understable Compliment to the Buzzz

I've never thrown a fuse. I'm sure there have been threads devoted to it, but since we're talking a lot about fuse vs comets and how they throw, I'm going to go ahead and ask it here rather than searching for my answer.

It was said earlier that they were a good complement to the buzz because they were a similar speed but less stable. It was also said that they perform better on lower lines like a buzz. Does that mean that they would be longer than comets but would take more power to push out there? If the thing I like best about comets is my ability to get decent distance with good accuracy and very little effort would the fuse be a solid alternative?

I guess my question is if the fuse is just recommended here because it is similar to a buzz or if it can actually do the things that my comet does.

ok, I'm now going to continue my threadjack and post all of the drivers I have. *denotes discs I really like

Valk
Katana*
Stalker*
orc
dx leopard
GL Striker*
GL River (new, still on it's way)
Firebird (meathook only)*
surge ss

so, how can I either group these into complimenting groups, or what are some suggestions on what to buy get to compliment them?

I guess to simply the question, I only use the Katana as a hyper speed driver on long open holes because it's the disc that travels farthest, I only use the Orc for forehand shots even though its a weak replacement for the pearly Orc I lost, I only use the Firebird for short meathooks.

In general, I use the stalker for annies/hyzer flips and the striker for a little longer straight drives with a little more fade but still not much fade. So, what discs are good complements to these two?

I really hate that I'm out mostly doing inventory when I am with skinner. This stuff fascinates me.

I have so much that I should be doing at work right now but instead I've been stewing over this/taking inventory of what I still have in my trunk/not doing any of the things I am getting paid to do. :eek:

ok, I'm now going to continue my threadjack and post all of the drivers I have. *denotes discs I really like

Valk
Katana*
Stalker*
orc
dx leopard
GL Striker*
surge ss

so, how can I either group these into complimenting groups, or what are some suggestions on what to buy get to compliment them?

I guess to simply the question, I only use the Katana as a hyper speed driver on long open holes because it's the disc that travels farthest, I only use the Orc for forehand shots even though its a weak replacement for the pearly Orc I lost, I only use the Firebird for short meathooks.

In general, I use the stalker for annies/hyzer flips and the striker for a little longer straight drives with a little more fade but still not much fade. So, what discs are good complements to these two?

my 2 cents:

drop either the river or stalker if you're using the stalker for annies and hyzer flips. the river should do all that and then some.

i'd use the river, striker and FB as your main drivers and the Katana for your bomber disc.

also, you need to replace your pearly orc. the normal champ orcs aren't the same :(

drop either the river or stalker if you're using the stalker for annies and hyzer flips. the river should do all that and then some.

i'd use the river, striker and FB as your main drivers and the Katana for your bomber disc.

This is kind of what I was thinking, I'm just looking for confirmation that these are indeed in the right "class" for each other. Would the FB be an OS counterpart to River/Striker combo or did you just include it since I said that I use it from time to time.

also, you need to replace your pearly orc. the normal champ orcs aren't the same :(

I have found this out to my sorrow this year. I didn't know it at the time, but I had 2 pearly orcs, one in my bag that I loved and whe I lost it was by far the oldest disc in my bag, and one on the wall as my first ace disc (that will not be thrown again).

Do you have any pearly orcs? :sadpuppyfacedsmilie:

I've never thrown a fuse. I'm sure there have been threads devoted to it, but since we're talking a lot about fuse vs comets and how they throw, I'm going to go ahead and ask it here rather than searching for my answer.

It was said earlier that they were a good complement to the buzz because they were a similar speed but less stable. It was also said that they perform better on lower lines like a buzz. Does that mean that they would be longer than comets but would take more power to push out there? If the thing I like best about comets is my ability to get decent distance with good accuracy and very little effort would the fuse be a solid alternative?

I guess my question is if the fuse is just recommended here because it is similar to a buzz or if it can actually do the things that my comet does.

A domey Fuse is stable like a Comet, but it flies longer on low lines because it is faster, yet glides better than a Buzzz (so it doesn't take quite as much snap to hold a line). A flat Fuse (what I use) is more understable than a Buzzz or Comet. For distances more than 250' it is going to turn understable out of the angle of release, but very slowly, with very little fade. It is also faster and flies farther on a low line than a Comet. On distances less than 250', the flat Fuse holds a line just as the Buzzz does at higher speeds. My flat GL Fuse only has a noticeable fade when thrown over 10' or at distances of less than 150'.

Valk
Katana*
Stalker*
orc
dx leopard
GL Striker*
surge ss

Your stalker/striker/valk overlap a bit and should be your longest drivers at 300-325'. I'd get rid of the katana entirely, it's only hidering your progress.

Keep in bold

Valk
Katana*
Stalker*
orc
dx leopard <-only if you can control this well, and throw anhyzers with it
GL Striker*
surge ss

From what I remember, the striker throws understable, but has enough fade to come back at the end. This makes it a more extreme valk in it's numbers, but relatively the same line. You don't need both, the question is what of the striker,valk,river to keep. I don't know the river so I can't comment on that one. I'll also say to try the base plastics of each, like a dx valk.

You need a long stable to overstable driver. Something like an X Avenger (insert plug for favorite discs here), Z tracker, or Champ Eagle. These also make great forehand discs, drop the orc for one of these.

The complimentary groups would be something like this

valk/striker/river
leopard

these have a lot of glide and can be used for touch and distance. Don't require the velocity

Stalker
Eagle/Avenger/Tracker
Firebird

You can rip on these, lower height distances where velocity is key

This is kind of what I was thinking, I'm just looking for confirmation that these are indeed in the right "class" for each other. Would the FB be an OS counterpart to River/Striker combo or did you just include it since I said that I use it from time to time.

I have found this out to my sorrow this year. I didn't know it at the time, but I had 2 pearly orcs, one in my bag that I loved and whe I lost it was by far the oldest disc in my bag, and one on the wall as my first ace disc (that will not be thrown again).

Do you have any pearly orcs? :sadpuppyfacedsmilie:

the FB will work fine with the striker and river. similar rim widths too, so no drastic grip changes.

and no, i don't have any pearly orcs for grabs, but booter has like some in his thread :)

my striker is like a longer teebird. it's not very understable at all, maybe once it beats in more.

K, that's how I have seen the Stalkers thrown. Kinda like teebirds. And I know they were with good form. The striker I threw was months ago and was Opto Line. Would flip and go right, and fade back pretty hard at the end. Maybe I just had a screwy Striker. If it does what you say it does, it overlaps the stalker a lot.

some of the optos have CRAZY domes and they fly way different. i have a flat Gold Line so they behave differently, i suppose.

some of the optos have CRAZY domes and they fly way different. i have a flat Gold Line so they behave differently, i suppose.

This one was pretty damn domey.

edit: In that case, take out the stalker and keep the striker.

Last edited:
my GL Striker is not domey at all and not at all like you describe. It does have a ton of overlap with the stalker, but I have an easier time getting it to fade right and not come back on me. Actually... that's not quite right. my old (and lighter) glow stalker was like that, but it's backup isn't quite the same. It's about the same as my Striker.

Why do you think the River is too similar to the Striker? I got because the ratings are what I was looking for. Is it because I don't have the D yet to really see the differences in the discs?

my GL Striker is not domey at all and not at all like you describe. It does have a ton of overlap with the stalker, but I have an easier time getting it to fade right and not come back on me. Actually... that's not quite right. my old (and lighter) glow stalker was like that, but it's backup isn't quite the same. It's about the same as my Striker.

Why do you think the River is too similar to the Striker? I got because the ratings are what I was looking for. Is it because I don't have the D yet to really see the differences in the discs?

I don't think I said that. I said the stalker is very similar to the Striker. Ditch the stalker. I haven't thrown the River or seen it thrown, or even know the numbers. Which is why I said that one will have to be up to you.

you guys may have to pry my katana from my cold dead hands. That thing goes amazingly far on a great line for me. I don't know if it makes a difference (there are a million different types of katanas already), but it's a star lemmon lake one. If I keep it around 10-15 feet, it just goes and goes, with a nice turn and not too much fade. It pretty much lands dead straight ahead in the 350 range.

You're going to have to be pretty convinceing for me to take it out my bag, but I'll hear you out.

I promise, I don't use it too much, I promise. DON'T TAKE IT PLEASE!

I don't really think the stalker and striker are that similar.

From what I understand from throwing each, watching each be thrown, and by the Z stalker vs Z cyclone thread is this: They throw really close to the same lines, but the stalker needs some height to get some distance. Like comparing a sabre to a teebird. Just use the teebird.

you guys may have to pry my katana from my cold dead hands. That thing goes amazingly far on a great line for me. I don't know if it makes a difference (there are a million different types of katanas already), but it's a star lemmon lake one. If I keep it around 10-15 feet, it just goes and goes, with a nice turn and not too much fade. It pretty much lands dead straight ahead in the 350 range.

You're going to have to be pretty convinceing for me to take it out my bag, but I'll hear you out.

I promise, I don't use it too much, I promise. DON'T TAKE IT PLEASE!

Throw your other discs a little higher. Should be able to get them to 350 quite easily.

Yeah Katanas like just a little air underneath them... try an E* Katana even lower like 5-10' and see what that does... I'm thinkin' you'll like it

Latest posts