• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable Fairway - Reliable Turn w/out Burn

The Fury IMO is the best disc for this slot. Slightly more stable than the river and can hold any line. I know it's a speed 9 and considered a control driver, but IT's a great disc. When thrown hard it flips up, glides forever and has a minimal fade at the end. Mine are opto line @ 168 and 172. The 168 is brand new and basically a back up. I reach for the 172 on just about every hole over 300'.

Agreed! I love my Fury. I just got an MVP Switch and it has been a great disc for me so far. It seems to turn a little easier for me than my Inspire.

I have a berry 2x champ Leo that I got used. It is in that perfect sweet spot and just floats right and lands flat and soft. But, I can make it do anything and everything. I have a champ panther, which I consider a tweener, more towards the fairway side. Shorter than my leopard, but still long and able to work the same lines with even less power than the leopard needs. Two discs worth checking out.

I'm not tying to be a smart ass or anything but, my river is pretty flippy now and I still can use it for every shot but hyzer. I just adjust the amount of hyzer on it and I can get anything from a tunnel shot to a roller.

I'd try an opto in heavier weight or even a champ leo.

A faster disc will start coming out of a turn sooner to prevent burning. A more neutral disc won't turn over as much to prevent burning.

Leo is my suggestion, but if that doesn't work I'd speed up to a Valk, or neutral up to a Stalker. Obviously many discs very similar to each of those; just the 2 that came to mind.

Stalkers are neither understable nor known for turn. Read the topic?

Last edited:
Out of thin air he comes to piss in everyone's Cheerios and then demands it's what's best for you

Lightweight Champion Leopard.....Lightweight means it will have some turn fresh out of the box. Champion means it will hold up round after round.

a goldline river would work out pretty good for this slot. I have one that is super beat up but it still cant be thrown flat or hyzer and turn into a roller unless u seriously torque it over with OAT. even full power I expected it to flip flat and glide right forever but it would go right then kind of straighten out at the end. but personally for this shot I use a broken in dx viper or my beat up champ teebird. the f7 seems very turn and burn for me. also a discmania CD is a great turnover fairway if u want something a bit faster than a teebird type speed fairway. also the patriot seems really nice but I haven't gotten many throws with one. also a pro leopard is a great turnover fairway although I found mine to be a bit too touchy and switched to the CD then to my current teebird/viper combo

Secret Weapon for understable
Arch Angel for less understable.
G star T3 for neutral
Krait

Are you made of money? If so get them all and see what works.

I'd agree with Icon Patriot. That is what I like to use for this line now. Turns reliably, but tends to come back at the end.

The thing about this slot for me is it really changes with wear. I work a disc into shape for this slot, use it a while, then I either loose it or it passes to the too understable range and I need to find another.

So IMO: get a new River. It'll work great until it doesn't ;)

Or I also like the Vision in the Lat64 Gold Line plastic. It is more neutral stable at first, and you might need some anny on it if your power is similar to mine, but eventually it really works well for this.

Would a G-line FD work for this? Curious since I haven't thrown one.
G-Line will eventually beat into that sweet spot, but fresh they're pretty straight. Not to say they're not understable, say compared to a fresh C-Line FD or Pinnacle Patriot, but they won't have as much turn as a River or Icon Patriot when fresh. Still a great disc and definitely workable on a lot of different lines. I'd recommend checking one out in the understable slot. Beat it in a bit and it will be awesome.

Leopard, Cheetah, Archangel, Roadrunner, Fury, Hatchet, Amp, FD (Jackal), Diamond, River. I don't think I've offered any new suggestions there. If you want something that won't beat up and change flight characteristics, the best are the Leopard and Amp. The quickest of those to change flight characteristics are the Roadrunner, Archangel, and Cheetah (the last 2 being available only in DX). The FD and Fury both have great glide.

Hello fellow DGCR users.

As the title suggests, I'm in need of some help. I've been bagging an F7 most of the year, but even after beating two of them in neither of them are reliable. I know some of it is personal form, but I've worked on a solid throw and I'm still having issues. As a RHBH; The F7 will either turn & burn, or turn slightly and come right back into a straight/fade.

I'm lost without the reliable Flat-to-turn fairway shot that I had all last year with a River, before it went toast and I tried the F7. No dice. I'm reluctant to try the River again, as it started to turn wayyy too much within a couple months.

So please, what Fairway Driver do you use and/or recommend for the Understable Turning slot?

TL;DR: Understable Fairway - What cha got?

I use a 175 VIP Hatchets for those shots. Do not buy the TP model.

Another great disc for this shot is the Meteor. It's a large diameter mid but in truth it's faster and has distance like a fairway driver. It turns, but it tends not to burn like small diameter understable discs tend to. Very easy to hit gaps with.

IMO the JLS starts out straight with a touch of fade, not understable. Threw S's and Q's for a while, maybe M's start out with turn but those never did for me.