• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable mid range.

I have a beat up dx roc from my dads bag that I could try. If that doesn't work I may try something slightly understable. To me at 320 a slightly understable mid will turn alot. I have a beat wizard I throw for 250 and down turnovers but need something in between leo and wiz.

Some of the sickest late turning shots I've seen were with heavy beat dx rocs...definitely worth a try.

Who has thrown meteor and tursas? Are mvps mids consistent like there other discs? I threw the vector and was not impressed. But it wasn't flat like every other mvp discuss I've tjrown

i currently bag both a New ESP 170ish Meteor and a not new VIP 165 Tursas
the meteor is stable to understable, and the Tursas is very understable

<3 my Meteor. I prefer the Zs because i have better control with the HSS.

Gauge is nice, basically flies like a meteor to me.

Fuse, is a lil more US than those 2 but glidier as well. i personally had a hard time judging the glide.

Buzzz SS, its got a very controllable flip especially under power.

I know theres more choices out there but this is my experience on US mids good for longer shots.

I like a Meteor, Fuse, or Crosslap Lucky for that slot. The Fuse is the most understable of them all, but when thrown with snap they will all finish with some turn after flipping up to flat.

Did I say stingray? Maybe that was another thread for under stable mid? When I need a shot to turn to the right, and flexing out is not an option, I reach for my stingray. It only takes 250 ft of throw to get nice turn out of them. Lighter and seasoned rays will turn with minimal power. My wife can get her 150 ray to hold a turn at 100ft. I get up 300 ft before I start to struggle with too much turn, 200-275 seems to be the happy place for me with a ray. Might hyzer flip nicely.
Best late turns I have seen is with my kc roc, but not an on demand thing for me
I

Last edited:
I'm a lefty and have to do these damn shots all the time! There's really nothing that's going to excel at this shot more than the Stingray, although the Tursas is darn close. The Stratus is almost identical but usually wants to burn out sooner...not sure you could reliably get it out as far as you want to. Stratus feels a little weird in the hand to me compared to the Stingray, too. I wanted the Fuse to fill the Stingray's slot in good plastic...they're nice discs but a little too finicky...tend to want to go super straight or burn out and their understability seems to vary a lot. If you don't mind your turn to hit the ground at an anny angle, then lots of understable discs will get you there, but if you want a flip to flat to hard glidey turn with some distance, Stingray is it. I'm really liking the Tursas now, too, but out of the box it's not quite like a good Stingray...as they beat in they are much better. I've had a couple of flippy GL Cores that would do this pretty well, too, and they'll give a little more distance than the Stingray. I tried to like the Meteor and Flying Squirrel and just couldn't jive with them. A good beat in Leopard is another option. I know you said yours isn't doing it but when they get good and worn they'll pull this off nicely. I've got a 160g star roadrunner that is also great for this...stretches a bit further than a Stingray before it takes the hard turn, but not as far a normal roadrunner. Someone mentioned a Panther...not my first choice but those deserve some love, too, even if hardly anybody even knows what they are anymore...wear one in a bit and it'll turn nicely.

I'm a lefty and have to do these damn shots all the time!

^the story of our lefty disc golf lives brother! natural turnover form from playing so many right handed-centric holes :hfive:

I know many people don't believe in understable mid ranges but I think I need one. This is why.. I want to practice a hyzer flip turnover shot for a specific hole and to learn a new line/shot. I want to throw a mid on a hyzer and have it flip up flat and turn over late in the flight out to about 320ish.

I have a g star leopard that I use for understable fairway but it's pretty stable and won't turnover at 320. My initial thought was Westside tursas. And then I thought mvp because I've really liked every mvp discs I've thrown apart from the vector.
Tell me what you think. Go!

I can get my comet to do this but I throw it flat and end my follow through high (i guess basically I do a long azzed turnover shot with it) if you snap it it can get 300ft easy and even more if you put some oomph on that snap (which ends up being a turnover shot).

I can also get my Dart to do a nice turnover (which is classified as a putter/approach but some can get it out to 400ft :eek: I myself can only get it out to 250-270ish). I'd use my dart more often for this, but I don't want my DX darts being thrashed by the trees/rocks.

both the comet and dart are classified as 0 turn discs.

Just want to say I got my first ace today in 6 year with the Flying Squirrel. I've only had it for a few days and only threw it a handful of time on 2 courses. It's a great understable midrange. Just saying :)

I like a Meteor, Fuse, or Crosslap Lucky for that slot. The Fuse is the most understable of them all, but when thrown with snap they will all finish with some turn after flipping up to flat.

fuse is flippier than a lucky??
interesting

Sorry, I realize I am 3 years late on this reply but I throw the Westside Tursas and I dig it a lot.

Good jerb Rookie!

The answer is Meteor or Mako (not mako3) . Meteor truly sick with air under it. Mako can handle precise power. Both godly molds.

To achieve that type of shot you will need to work more on throw/form/release/snap etc than just a disc.

I use a 400G M4 as an understable mid-range. It may not make it that far before a turn. If you release with some hyzer and really get some snap on it it can balance up to flat then over to ride an anhyzer. Maybe try a slightly understable fairway driver, like a Patriot, FD, that sort of thing

I know many people don't believe in understable mid ranges but I think I need one. This is why.. I want to practice a hyzer flip turnover shot for a specific hole and to learn a new line/shot. I want to throw a mid on a hyzer and have it flip up flat and turn over late in the flight out to about 320ish.

I learned how to hyzer flip with a champ and dx panther. They bomb if you throw them right.

Meteor is a great disc, fairly fast midrange, can be manipulated well for anhyzer shots. Panther, M4, BuzzzSS and SO many more
Even a Truth can be piped to have a nice late turn

Latest posts